Length of Umpire Pants

baseballfan
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3654 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I did a brief search in the history here... seemed like most of the discussion about umpire pants when it came to fitting was about the width. I am also concerned about length. Since you have to fit shin guards under plate pants, and since they will "ride up" a little bit around the ankles when you get into position behind the plate, should you still get the same length as you would for normal dress pants? Or should you go an inch longer? Do you all get the same length on your base pants as you do your plate pants?

Thanks!

Just make sure you get them fitted with your plate shoes on.

I would highly recommend wearing them over you shin guards as well. And don't look down while they are being sized. If you do this it tends to raise the hem, and then when you look straight again the hem will go back to where it actually is. It will be too long and you will wind up stepping on them. I know this for a fact as I was a Company Commander in the Navy and you could always spot the recruit who looked down during the tailor procedure. EVEN AFTER YOU TOLD THEM NOT TO.

If you are getting them from Honigs and want them to hem them for you, measure some current pants and provide them with that measurement.  Otherwise, if you are buying unhemmed pants wear your shin guards and plate shoes when you wear them for the tailor.  I wear my base shoes as well when she pins up base pants too.

All of my plate pants are longer than my base pants. I have a full break with room to spare on plate plants, not sure the exact measurement, but I'll agree, get them fitted with shins and plate shoes ON. Same with base pants, actually wear hour base shoes when fitting your base pants. I'll recommend adding about an inch or so to the fitting of the plate pants for the "riding up" factor. The best measurements are the ones that aren't actually measured, rather they are tailored to you.

Coming from working at Men's Wearhouse and seeing/doing a lot of tailoring myself now, it's best to actually have pants hemmed to where you want them, rather than go with a 30, 32, 34, etc pre-hemmed length like in jeans. Order Honigs pants unhemmed, I've heard they never come out just right.

My two cents: Buy unhemmed, take to professional tailor/seamstress, put shoes (and shins) on, have them mark them, sew them, and you should be good to go. Try them on before ever actually wearing them in case something isn't right. Also, ask them to leave 3" in the bottoms to ever have extra fabric available. 

• 6 months later...