My First Real Purchase, And Introduction

DVA7130
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3323 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello,

I am completely new to these forums, but I have been browsing and watching it for about a year now. I understand that this could possibly be in the Introductions section, but I have recently made a large purchase from Ump-Attire that I feel like I can finally join this website.

I work for a medium sized association on the south side of Atlanta. Local USSSA based leagues and Little League. I started last fall and really love it. I play ball also at my high school, where I am entering my senior year.

For this passed year I have been only equipped with the world famous Macgregor Umpire Starter Pack. Yes that one with the soft shell and such. (I was smart enough to quickly pick up a proper ball bag though). Along with turfs behind the dish.

I take umpiring seriously, so after lots of research, reading, and thought from this forum and other sources, this is what I picked up last night.

--

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 A3210-S/M Wilson West Vest Gold Umpire Chest Protector $157.99   

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 FM-WENDY-BK Team Wendy Black Umpire Mask Replacement Padding $39.99   

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 DFM-BK-FRAME Diamond Black Frame $45.00   

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 MLB-HARNESS Wilson MLB Logo Umpire Mask Harness $12.99   

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 MU460MBK-D-10 New Balance All Black MLB Umpire Plate Shoes $114.99  
--

Thank you in advance for any comments, and I'm pretty excited.

• Like 1

Hello,

I am completely new to these forums, but I have been browsing and watching it for about a year now. I understand that this could possibly be in the Introductions section, but I have recently made a large purchase from Ump-Attire that I feel like I can finally join this website.

I work for a medium sized association on the south side of Atlanta. Local USSSA based leagues and Little League. I started last fall and really love it. I play ball also at my high school, where I am entering my senior year.

For this passed year I have been only equipped with the world famous Macgregor Umpire Starter Pack. Yes that one with the soft shell and such. (I was smart enough to quickly pick up a proper ball bag though). Along with turfs behind the dish.

I take umpiring seriously, so after lots of research, reading, and thought from this forum and other sources, this is what I picked up last night.

--

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 A3210-S/M Wilson West Vest Gold Umpire Chest Protector $157.99   

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 FM-WENDY-BK Team Wendy Umpire Mask Replacement Padding $39.99   

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 MU460MBK-D-10 New Balance All Black MLB Umpire Plate Shoes $114.99  

--

Ladies an gentlemen, boys and girls and lurkers everywhere….. this is how it should be done. Either go hard or go home…..If you are truly serious about this profession/hobby you cannot skimp on your gear. To Quote my boy @kylejt "always buy pro gear and you will never regret it!" Nice haul @DVA7130! Good luck and welcome aboard!

• Like 3

welcome to the site! and to the avocation...........good to have young guys coming into umpiring!.........some good choices on your gear purchases......remember to do the same on your uniform choices.......

Thank you all for your responses and comments!

Admittedly, I will probably still be with my three Dalco shirts (Navy, powder, and red) and combo pants for a while longer. 

welcome to the site! and to the avocation...........good to have young guys coming into umpiring!.........some good choices on your gear purchases......remember to do the same on your uniform choices.......

Admittedly, I will probably still be with my three Dalco shirts (Navy, powder, and red) and combo pants for a while longer. 

YOU HAD A GOOD THING GOING DVA ...... :shakehead:  ............... :D

Hello,

--

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 FM-WENDY-BK Team Wendy Umpire Mask Replacement Padding $39.99   

--

Ladies an gentlemen, boys and girls and lurkers everywhere….. this is how it should be done. Either go hard or go home…..If you are truly serious about this profession/hobby you cannot skimp on your gear. To Quote my boy @kylejt "always buy pro gear and you will never regret it!" Nice haul @DVA7130! Good luck and welcome aboard!

When deciding on chest protectors it was between the Wilson Platinum and a Diamond model.  The price difference was about $50 more for the Platinum.  This is also the amount of my ER co-pay.  Figured if it keeps me out of the ER once the difference was worth it.

So far absolutely no regrets.

• Like 1

YOU HAD A GOOD THING GOING DVA ...... :shakehead:  ............... :D

Ahahaha... :P I don't mind the shirts, but I do know the pants are scrub.

I had my heart beat messed up many years ago by that very same MacGregor c/p, in a 10 year old game. Hats off to you for choosing wisely.

It's a pretty great feeling when you walk on the field wearing the best gear possible. In my head, I always think "Bring it".

Hello,

--

--

Ladies an gentlemen, boys and girls and lurkers everywhere….. this is how it should be done. Either go hard or go home…..If you are truly serious about this profession/hobby you cannot skimp on your gear. To Quote my boy @kylejt "always buy pro gear and you will never regret it!" Nice haul @DVA7130 ! Good luck and welcome aboard!

Congratz on one of your first posts you received the blessings of our resident gear pimp.

Welcome and nice choices in equipment and supplier ;) 

• Like 1

Good job. I always tell beginning umpires to get good gear. Do not buy into the you'll be working lower level ball, so you don't need good gear. Well, that is also the level where you will get the crap knocked out of you by wild pitching and worse catching. Protect yourself with good gear that will last you a long time. Buy good uniforms. IMO get rid of the combo pants. They just don't look right at any position on the field.

Great investment on your gear. When you get a thumbs-up from Fittske, you've done something right. :notworthy:

Dalco shirts are the norm for Utrip in the South. No harm there. You will match your partners. As far as pants go, ask your UIC what is the standard (probably Smitty, since most Utrip guys I know have never even heard of PWs).

You started off on a good foot. Stay motivated. Stick your nose in the books. Go to Tony Thompson's 2 man camp in Atl. And work hard. Never know how far you can go.

• Like 1

Great investment on your gear. When you get a thumbs-up from Fittske, you've done something right. :notworthy:

Dalco shirts are the norm for Utrip in the South. No harm there. You will match your partners. As far as pants go, ask your UIC what is the standard (probably Smitty, since most Utrip guys I know have never even heard of PWs).

You started off on a good foot. Stay motivated. Stick your nose in the books. Go to Tony Thompson's 2 man camp in Atl. And work hard. Never know how far you can go.

Hey there's nothing wrong with poly pants Jocko! Especially for young umpires on a budget, working dusty fields!

• 9 months later...

Sorry to resurrect the thread a bit, but after a few Cold bare-arm games, here is my newest haul from game fees so far this spring.

MJ212-RN Majestic Therma Base Umpire Jacket - Navy with Red 1 $89.99

S320-BK Smitty Major League Style Umpire Jacket - Black with White 1 $49.99

GEAR-BAG Diamond Umpire Gear Bag 1 $39.99

PBUC-TWOUMP PBUC Manual for the Two Umpire System 1 $14.50

PBUC-UMPMAN PBUC Umpire Manual 1 $14.95

CPUHPRO All-Star Delta Flex Chest Protector Replacement Harness 1 $26.99

Thanks,

Congrats on your purchases.  Dude, you don't mess around.  I only know one other young guy who put his money where it counted and took is as seriously as you appear to do.  He made it to AA ball and was an instructor at Wendelstedt until he hung up pro ball to chase his other dream of being a police officer a couple of years ago.  

Keep doing what you're doing man.  You are going to make it as far as you want with your obvious dedication witnessed by your commitment to good gear AND training manuals.  Read them and learn, work with, watch and ask questions of higher level umpires as often as you can.

• 2 weeks later...

My delta flex is now fully set up with my Gold! It sure rides A Lot higher now right up close to my neck. Also, no longer having to stick my head through that plastic plate is nice.

All four points are stitched into their spots, so hopefully that will hold a good while.

Will have to get used to being as tight though. Not sure how it fits on larger guys, as I am pretty thin.

• 11 months later...