Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3855 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Not to be a snark about this....

1. Wake up

2. Get clothes out of washer/dryer.

3. Eat food

4. Work

5. Pack

6. Drive to ballpark, unless my chauffer is available.

7. Find dressing room or convenient tree.

8. put clothes on.

9  Put gear on

10. Put rest of gear on.

11. Get paid

12. Leave.

11A. Oops, call the game unless I'm too tired from dressing. :shrug::smachhead:

• Like 1

Not to be a snark about this....

1. Wake up

2. Get clothes out of washer/dryer.

3. Eat food

4. Work

5. Pack

6. Drive to ballpark, unless my chauffer is available.

7. Find dressing room or convenient tree.

8. put clothes on.

9  Put gear on

10. Put rest of gear on.

11. Get paid

12. Leave.

11A. Oops, call the game unless I'm too tired from dressing. :shrug::smachhead:

Must be nice to get paid at every game. Most HS coaches around here arent organized enough to have the secretary make it out that day. Usually a week or longer wait. However the summer league I call is paid on site. Love that. 

As far as routine, mines pretty anal much like OP. I do it as a routine as not to forget anything more so then OCD. My only difference in most people is I put on my socks then my compression pants. My thought is if my pants come up I want them to see a nice shiny looking black as apposed to a cotton sock. I also wore them in HS and College in all sports over my socks. Baseball only in college. Baseball, Football. Wrestling in Hs.  

• 1 month later...

you have to try putting the shoes and shins on then put the pants on, that way they wont get creased or wrinkled

I saw one partner of mine do this before, does this really work?

BTW, I will start carrying extra socks. I did a one sock game on Sunday, I was quite off balance.

you have to try putting the shoes and shins on then put the pants on, that way they wont get creased or wrinkled

BTW, I will start carrying extra socks. I did a one sock game on Sunday, I was quite off balance.

Absolutely, I wont do it any other way!  I cant stand have creases and I actually put my ball bags and belt in the pants before i put them on just so I know I never miss a loop and dont have to ask anyone to check for me!  Also my shoes are a little big so I wear two pairs of socks.  It's makes them a much more comfortable fit, a little tip from one of my mentors.

I usually carry extra socks, and I often have 3 or 4 different sets of uniforms in my car.  (Different Fire/EMS/Umpiring gear).  However, once I didn't have ANY black socks in my car anywhere.  I used my "paint" as I call it (the quick shine stuff) and painted some white socks black.  Strangest thing I think I've ever done!

Absolutely, I wont do it any other way!  I cant stand have creases and I actually put my ball bags and belt in the pants before i put them on just so I know I never miss a loop and dont have to ask anyone to check for me!  Also my shoes are a little big so I wear two pairs of socks.  It's makes them a much more comfortable fit, a little tip from one of my mentors.

How do you do that?  I don't think they'd fit over my shoes.

I usually carry extra socks, and I often have 3 or 4 different sets of uniforms in my car.  (Different Fire/EMS/Umpiring gear).  However, once I didn't have ANY black socks in my car anywhere.  I used my "paint" as I call it (the quick shine stuff) and painted some white socks black.  Strangest thing I think I've ever done!

How do you do that?  I don't think they'd fit over my shoes.

They just fit, I have size 10 feet.  Not the smallest feet in the world.  I need to lean against my car, otherwise I would tip over but,  it works for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I just get dressed at home and drive to the field!

I usually do the same sometimes i am half dress when i get the other times i am not.

I do wear shorts sometime under my pants just in case "falls" Has not happen yet.  I don't all the time i know its odd... but meh that just me.  In fact when i did u12 states I was ready and dress before i got field and got props for it. I am already patch for next year :) I am looking to get patch for asa

• 1 month later...

Better we all talk about the  funny war stories- ie  how many times have you or your partner, or some guys you were with at a tournament- gone to the field and forgot something- and had to signal through the screen to get help-

1, I've seen a plate umpire take 2 practice pitches before he realized he'd forgotton his mask ( he said later how good the vision of plate was)

2. I did a 3 umpire game  at a finals when the plate umpire forgot his indicator and the 3rd base blue had to do the game without one

3. I saw two games when the plate umpire forgot his brish and didn't realize it until the catcher brushed the plate off with his glove

and 

4, I saw an experienced umpire wear his wrist watch to a plate game by accident and didn't realize it before it was smashed.

We count to '10'in the locker room and check off all the bits we need to have. especially if there is a lot of commotion before the game.

Better we all talk about the  funny war stories- ie  how many times have you or your partner, or some guys you were with at a tournament- gone to the field and forgot something- and had to signal through the screen to get help-

1, I've seen a plate umpire take 2 practice pitches before he realized he'd forgotton his mask ( he said later how good the vision of plate was)

2. I did a 3 umpire game  at a finals when the plate umpire forgot his indicator and the 3rd base blue had to do the game without one

3. I saw two games when the plate umpire forgot his brish and didn't realize it until the catcher brushed the plate off with his glove

and 

4, I saw an experienced umpire wear his wrist watch to a plate game by accident and didn't realize it before it was smashed.

We count to '10'in the locker room and check off all the bits we need to have. especially if there is a lot of commotion before the game.

1. To the F2: "Just seeing how good you really are"

2. Dont need it on the bases.

3. My shoe would get me through the game

4. Sort of like a kid touching the hot stove.... Problem solved.

Always start putting my cup in my jock and then putting that on. Next I put on my socks. Then depending on the temperature either my under armor heat gear leggings or my under armor cold gear leggings. Then my plate shoes which vary depending on the level of ball and my mood. Then I throw on the WV pro shins and then slide my plate pants on over the top. Then tuck my under shirt into my leggings. Next I slide the belt on and my ball bags. Sometimes one ball bag and some times two, again depending on the level of ball. Then goes the platinum fallowed by either one of my plate shirts or on cold days one of my plate coats (usually my black one but some times navy if I'm working with someone who doesn't have a black jacket). Obviously if I am wearing my plate coat the ball bag step is skipped. If i'm using an indicator it usually goes in my breast pocket but some times my front left. My pen always goes in my notepad holder I keep line up cards in which goes in a pocket in my left ball bag. Plate brush goes in the back pocket or my breast pocket if I don't use my indicator that day. I top it all off with my hat and a quick mask fit check. 

On a side note I can't believe this is actually a thread or that I'm bored enough to post my routine for getting dressed for a plate game on here.