An Ejection leads to 5 arrests

Recklesspanz
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3823 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Bottom line is that it is getting worse and worse. We as Umpire either have to eject quickly or in the case of fans get park management involved.

If you just sit behind the plate and ignore then you are doing yourself and other umpires a disservice.

Coaches and fans can be friendly but they will turn on you in a second!

Had a 9U game last night. Very friendly coach. Said how glad he was that i was there and the appreciate when we show up .Blablabla. Midway i called a pitch that to me was on the knees. Strike! From that moment on He didn't have anything else good to say. Didn't really say anything bad but you could tell the attitude difference.

I call BS on this one. However if its true, 1. Time on the clock is time on the clock. Unless the time will change in the matter of seconds it takes for the coach to look at his cell phone, then you play on.

2. The minute anyone blocks your path to the car you take out your phone and get them to move or you call the cops right their.

3. If their has already been a post-game confrontation you go to your car and you GTFO.

My .02

I call BS on this one. However if its true, 1. Time on the clock is time on the clock. Unless the time will change in the matter of seconds it takes for the coach to look at his cell phone, then you play on.

2. The minute anyone blocks your path to the car you take out your phone and get them to move or you call the cops right their.

3. If their has already been a post-game confrontation you go to your car and you GTFO.

My .02

You went on the field with a cell Phone!!!! OMG What is this world coming to!!!! :wave:

My .02

It definetly will!

My .02

You went on the field with a cell Phone!!!! OMG What is this world coming to!!!! :wave:

90% of what I call is the travel "daddy" ball where all this crap happens. When I move up into higher levels that's different but hearing stories like BigUmpire's and that poor man in Utah and the umpire in South Jersey who is my age and was assaulted by a coach makes me think that having a phone with me isn't as smitty as everyone thinks.

My .02

90% of what I call is the travel "daddy" ball where all this crap happens. When I move up into higher levels that's different but hearing stories like BigUmpire's and that poor man in Utah and the umpire in South Jersey who is my age and was assaulted by a coach makes me think that having a phone with me isn't as smitty as everyone thinks.

A phone can be a useful tool.

Other things are better.

Remember what Jethro Gibbs says.

I have seen some wild stuff over the years including me almost being arrested for striking a child. Actually the child was a 17 yr old as big as me coming at me ranting. I took it as an attack, sidestepped him and shoved his shoulder from behind to keep him moving in the direction he was headed. Now his mother did hit me but that's another story. The judge said the only one that could press charges was the kid and he said no way. He told the judge it was to mistakes that led to nothing. I was the UIC so I suspended myself for a year from that league. I have seen games get out of control to the point police were brought in to control the crowd. I have seen fights among spectators. People get nuts around sports which is why NASO has been fighting to get assault laws enacted around the country. 

I have seen some wild stuff over the years including me almost being arrested for striking a child. Actually the child was a 17 yr old as big as me coming at me ranting. I took it as an attack, sidestepped him and shoved his shoulder from behind to keep him moving in the direction he was headed. Now his mother did hit me but that's another story. The judge said the only one that could press charges was the kid and he said no way. He told the judge it was to mistakes that led to nothing. I was the UIC so I suspended myself for a year from that league. I have seen games get out of control to the point police were brought in to control the crowd. I have seen fights among spectators. People get nuts around sports which is why NASO has been fighting to get assault laws enacted around the country. 

I applaud and support NASO for their efforts.

NASO will not protect me in the parking lot OR on the field from emotional people. People like this have no regard for the law when they lose their minds and do something they will regret the next day.

Laws did not protect the people in Boston, laws did not protect the children at Sandy Hook, and laws did not protect the World trade center, Pentagon or United Airlines Flight 93.

Being prepared and protecting yourself will.

• Like 1

Crazy!!

Yes 38 seconds is good enough for me to call the game, if my watch is the official time, but I'm guessing they got ticked off and wanted to play because you told them there is 38 sec left but you're calling the game anyway.  If there is that little time left and I call the game I always say time has expired by a minute or whatever.

I have seen some wild stuff over the years including me almost being arrested for striking a child. Actually the child was a 17 yr old as big as me coming at me ranting. I took it as an attack, sidestepped him and shoved his shoulder from behind to keep him moving in the direction he was headed. Now his mother did hit me but that's another story. The judge said the only one that could press charges was the kid and he said no way. He told the judge it was to mistakes that led to nothing. I was the UIC so I suspended myself for a year from that league. I have seen games get out of control to the point police were brought in to control the crowd. I have seen fights among spectators. People get nuts around sports which is why NASO has been fighting to get assault laws enacted around the country. 

I applaud and support NASO for their efforts.

NASO will not protect me in the parking lot OR on the field from emotional people. People like this have no regard for the law when they lose their minds and do something they will regret the next day.

Laws did not protect the people in Boston, laws did not protect the children at Sandy Hook, and laws did not protect the World trade center, Pentagon or United Airlines Flight 93.

Being prepared and protecting yourself will.

So THAT's why I kept that baseball bat in my truck as a training tool........................

• Like 1

38 seconds? Maybe on AT&T, but Sprint says "Ballgame!".

I long for the good ole days when time was kept by the minute, not by the second.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's why I ALONE keep the time. 

• Like 1

38 seconds? Maybe on AT&T, but Sprint says "Ballgame!".

I long for the good ole days when time was kept by the minute, not by the second.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's why I ALONE keep the time. 

Smart move.

38 seconds left? Yell "BALL GAME" and walk off the winning side dugout ASAP towards the parking lot. We start on my time and end on my time. Had a coach try to pull a fast one on me to start a new inning after time had expired saying "Home team has the official start time" pfffffttt EAT MY SOCKS!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

38 seconds left in a kid ball game and y'all want to keep playing? I have to say I agree with the OP and a few others who have already posted on this topic. If there's only 38 seconds left and I'm in a terrible game then I'm killing it and getting off the field. However with all that hostility towards you trying to get off the field you have to know better than to sit around and talk with everyone after the game. As soon as something was thrown at your or maybe even as soon as parents tried to block your path to your car a phone call to the police should have been made. We had a situation a few years ago where an umpire who was working 14U with the TD ejected a coach for cursing across the field at him. (nothing wrong with the ejection. It's an ejection that would be made 100 times by 100 different umpires.) After the game the two umpires are walking off the field and the coach who was ejected gets out of his car he had been waiting in for the game to finish and charges the umpire who ejected him from behind and yelled out "I'm gunna get my moneys worth!" and blind sided the umpire with a punch to the bak of the head. Police were immediately called and the coach fled the scene in his car. The TD who was working with the umpire who had been assaulted got the license plate, make, model, and color of the car and the police arrested the coach at his job the very next day. I don't know what all happened to the coach after he was arrested but I'm sure that when police come into your office and slap cuffs on you and read you your rights you probably don't have a job to come back to after you bail out.

• Like 2