Plate meeting...

urout17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3657 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In all seriousness, we have no authority in the stands.  None.  You can use site management to remove what you perceive as unruly fans.  But it is they who have the authority, not us.  We cannot eject fans from a site.  If we perceive a problem in the stands that is going to or is causing a problem on the field, then we can also have a site administrator address it.  I am speaking of HS Fed baseball.  

I think this becomes an issue at times in levels below HS where there are no administrators required or present - rec ball comes to mind as well as some levels of youth tournament play.

If something gets completely out of hand on the bleacher side of the fence, someone other than me is going to take care of it.  If I am working a game with management or administrators on the site, it's their job to get there and address the situation.  I don't have the time or the responsibility to go find them or get involved otherwise.  I am there to make sure the game is being played within the rules on the field.

If this support is not present, I will not get involved in a situation on the other side of the fence.  I suppose one exception would be if a situation exists in the stands (a fight for example) where law enforcement is needed.  I would politely ask a coach or fan (who is obviously not involved) to call the police if it is not clear that they have been called already

Our local rec league has some policies in writing that the umpires can eject a fan, but only if it is not clear which team they are associated with.  Coaches have responsibility for their fans' conduct under this policy, but to be honest in 6 years of working this league, I cannot recall a single fan incident requiring an ejection or umpire's involvement.

• Like 1

As a rule, I do not address the fans.  That said, I was working an AAU tournament last year - 14U.  Batter hits a dribbler in front of the plate and runs to first.  He's in the lane until about the last 15 feet when he decides to veer back into fair territory and is then hit by the throw from F2.  I call time and enforce RLI - easiest call I made all day.  Well, a fan decides to start going off - really yelling about how it was a terrible call, that he was in the lane, blah blah blah.  OC never even came out to question the call.  Next batter comes up and two pitches are thrown and this guy is STILL yelling about the last play (picture a field with about 30-40 fans, with everyone quiet except this one guy who is yelling at a high volume).

Well, I felt like he was distracting the players (seeing several fielders looking his way), so I called time, took off my mask and start walking towards the third base dugout.  Loud enough for the fans on that side to hear, I look at the OC and say, "Grant, it is your responsibility to control your fans.  If you do not, you will be ejected."  The fan starts in again loudly, "It was a terrible call!" as I am walking back to the plate.  I stop, look him right in the eye and simply say in a normal but serious tone, "You need to let it go."  He says, "Alright, I'm done." and I never heard another peep from him.

Again, as a rule, I do not address the fans.  But I will make an exception if I feel the situation warrants it.

UmpJM, no it wasn't Highland Park, just tossing this topic out there. 

I've been reading this website (and a few others) for a number of years and have never posted anything.  I sometimes get discouraged when I read about ejections that guys have and wonder how many of their issue(s) could have been resolved with a little foresight.  I also wonder how many umpires have really played the game at a higher level (college, etc...).  I've been on the umpiring end of things for going on my 17th year and love it!  I truly believe it makes me a better umpire having played and knowing what players are trying to do (or trying to get away with).  I believe some guys get so caught up in book rules (I know they're put in place for a reason) that they don't know how to work a game with a little preventive maintenance.  I'm sure a number of you have worked with someone like this.

Thanks

:ranton:  

I'm sick and tired of people who say umpires "get too caught up in book rules".  I WISH I had partners who knew book rules.  And that canard that umpires that "have played at higher levels" are better, is a crock, as well.  The higher the level, the less those guys actually know the rules. 

:rantoff:e 

As far as preventive umpiring is concerned, it's my observation that it's a learned skill, and the more games you work, the better you get at it. 

PS - I started typing this and got called away.  I came back and all that was typed in the reply was "I'm sick and tired of people".  I thought it was funny....

PPS - I played "higher level" ball and I KNOW players at that level don't know the rules. 

Agreed with the preventive umpiring comment, but you have to admit that there are quite a few "rule book umpires" out there. I don't get a warm fuzzy working with them because they have no feel for the game and usually make themselves the game instead of being invisible by asserting their superiority in rules knowledge. If I have any say so in playoff officials they won't be on my list.

As far as jewelry goes, I won't ask about it at the pre game. What is the purpose? I make the players take it off and run it down to their coach in the coach's box. The other kids see that and generally take it off. Kids don't like running laps til they drop. They get the message.

Also, we had a kid down here from Cuba and didn't understand the umpire when told to take off his necklace. He thought it was called a chain until he got ejected. Ha

You've had people in the STANDS come onto the field, inside the fence? And you had it happen MANY times? I doubt that.

I actually had a few years ago, I ran him for going on my field and use of profanity.

From our local league's rule book

SECTION PB 0.27 JEWELRY

1. No jewelry of any type is to be worn by a player while on the field during the game.

DEFINITION: Any ornament for personal adornment, including but not limited to necklaces, earrings, bracelets, including those made of base metals, glass, plastic, rubber, cloth, 

leather or the like.

1. Medical alert medallions are permitted but MUST be taped to the body and worn under the uniform.
  2. Religious medals are permitted, but MUST be taped to the body and worn under the uniform.  NOTE: The rosary is not classified as a religious medallion.
  3. PENALTY:
    1. FIRST OFFENSE –warning is issued to the team in violation.
    2. SECOND OFFENSE (Same game) – bench restriction for the player(s) in violation.
    3. THIRD OFFENSE (Same game) –ejection for the player(s) in violation and the team manager, plus the league will assess the team a fine in the amount of $100.00. 
    4.  If a player refuses to remove the jewelry when instructed, the umpires have the authority to eject the player from the game.
  4. If a bench restriction occurs in the first game of a doubleheader, the player will be eligible to participate in the second game.
  5. Sweat bands are permitted, and shall be worn on the wrist.

I don't give a team warning the first time I see a player wearing jewelry.  I ask him to take it off and then remind the coach to ask his players to remove their jewelry.  Then if I see another player wearing jewelry, I give the team warning.  If I see players wearing jewelry prior to the game, I will remind the coach to ask his players to remove it which usually takes care of the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Authority or not outside the fence ? I think we may be splitting hairs, here. If you instruct a coach, AD, site manager, or law enforcement officer to remove an unruly fan, you are, in fact, exercising authority. As is the person doing the removal. Just one old umpire's opinion. Flame away.

• Like 1

I don't give a team warning the first time I see a player wearing jewelry.  I ask him to take it off and then remind the coach to ask his players to remove their jewelry.  Then if I see another player wearing jewelry, I give the team warning.  If I see players wearing jewelry prior to the game, I will remind the coach to ask his players to remove it which usually takes care of the issue.

Pete Jr taught me this trick: Batter starts to step into the box with jewelry. Jr calls time, and instructs said player to remove said adornment and take it to the head coach, normally in the 3B coaches box. That works pretty well, too.

• Like 2

Pete Jr taught me this trick: Batter starts to step into the box with jewelry. Jr calls time, and instructs said player to remove said adornment and take it to the head coach, normally in the 3B coaches box. That works pretty well, too.

What gives you the right to demand that he remove his jewelry?

The rule prohibits him from playing with jewelry, not from wearing jewelry.

From our local league's rule book

SECTION PB 0.27 JEWELRY

1. No jewelry of any type is to be worn by a player while on the field during the game.

DEFINITION: Any ornament for personal adornment, including but not limited to necklaces, earrings, bracelets, including those made of base metals, glass, plastic, rubber, cloth, 

leather or the like.

1. Medical alert medallions are permitted but MUST be taped to the body and worn under the uniform.
  2. Religious medals are permitted, but MUST be taped to the body and worn under the uniform.  NOTE: The rosary is not classified as a religious medallion.

1. Shouldn't medical alert bracelets  be taped down and visible? That's idea of wearing them. 

I'm assuming #2 note was added because some kid showed up at a game with a rosary around his neck? wow....

Well if he's in the batter's box  he is most likely playing.

• Like 2

Well if he's in the batter's box he is most likely playing.

So tell him to go back to the dugout. Duh.

Well if he's in the batter's box he is most likely playing.

So tell him to go back to the dugout. Duh.

WHAT ?? If he is trying to enter the batter's box with jewelry, he has violated the rule. Send him back to the dugout ? I normally agree with what you say, Maven, but in this case, I don't think I understand what you are trying to say.

• 2 weeks later...