Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ
  • Your Association Name :Shore Umpires Association

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

(Referee Magazine 12/07)

In a fast pitch game, R1 occupies first base and B1 is at bat with a count of one ball and one strike. On F1's next pitch, B1 squares in the batter's box and holds the bat in a bunting position in the strike zone. The pitch is high and outside the strike zone and B1 holds the bat motionless, making no attempt to offer at the pitch. The plate umpire calls the pitch a ball. Is that the correct call?

NFHS
ASA
NCAA
USSSA FP

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 jim knight

jim knight
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 02-December 08
  • LocationHelena, Montana

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

it is a ball but effective in '09 it will be a strike... am i right?

see the first time you posted i thought you really wanted to know the right answer only to find out you have an answer you think is right because you saw it in print someplace.

#3 InDaZone

InDaZone
  • Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 13-December 08

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

see the first time you posted i thought you really wanted to know the right answer only to find out you have an answer you think is right because you saw it in print someplace.

Wow, Jim you jumped on that one!
I only have a ASA RB which I haven't had time to consult, considering I think the ink on Larry's post is still drying...:cheers:
Not to dispute your answer, but, I have a question for you. In which rules sets is a change going to be made which will effect the call in this situation?
NFHS
ASA
NCAA
USSSA FP

or is it all?

And, assuming Jim is correct, I hope a discussion will follow regarding this rule change - I'm intrigued.
Mike
:shrug:
"He's OUT! No, he's Safe! No...OUt!"

#4 jim knight

jim knight
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 02-December 08

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

If I am right it would be in HS.. not sure about ASA yet.

#5 InDaZone

InDaZone
  • Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 13-December 08

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

If I am right it would be in HS.. not sure about ASA yet.

Okay, finally got around to checking the ASA 09 RB for this one.

Rules Suppliment 10. Check Swing/Bunt Strike
"....On a bunt attempt where the batter puts the bat across the plate and the pitched ball is out of the strike zone, a ball should be called unless the batter moves the bat toward the ball."

[it's a ball]
is it the weekend yet?

Edited by InDaZone, 16 January 2009 - 05:07 PM.
to add "it's a ball"

#6 LMSANS

LMSANS

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

(Referee Magazine 12/07)

In a fast pitch game, R1 occupies first base and B1 is at bat with a count of one ball and one strike. On F1's next pitch, B1 squares in the batter's box and holds the bat in a bunting position in the strike zone. The pitch is high and outside the strike zone and B1 holds the bat motionless, making no attempt to offer at the pitch. The plate umpire calls the pitch a ball. Is that the correct call?

NFHS
ASA
NCAA
USSSA FP

Before 2009:
Ruling: The umpire is correct in calling the pitch a ball in ASA, NFHS and USSSA FP.
In NCAA, a strike is charged to B1 because B1 held the bat in the strike zone as the pitch passed by. To not be charged with a strike on a pitch out of the strike zone, the batter must withdraw the bat by pulling the bat backward and away from the ball.

ASA 7-4 (Rules Supplement 10)
NFHS 7-2-1; 2-8-2 This is the change for 2009.
(2-8-2 Changed the definition of a bunt attempt to holding the bat in the strike zone and requiring the bat to be withdrawn in order to take a pitch.

Rationale: The new definition will make the bunt attempt easier for an umpire to determine and creates a better balance between offense and defense.)

NCAA 1-20 Bunt Attempt
USSSA FP 8-3

I don't see any change in the ASA rule but there is a change in the NFHS rule for 2009, making it a strike, same as NCAA.

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

#7 jim knight

jim knight
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 02-December 08

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

Larry, would it be so hard to say... Jim got it right.

#8 LMSANS

LMSANS

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Jim got it right

:clap:

:HD::hi5:

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

#9 LMSANS

LMSANS

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

I said in the first one that the plays would be coming from sources like Referee magazine.

The purpose here is to try and generate some interest in the softball forum. If you have actual plays that you would like to share, please do so. I'm sure we all would love to discuss them.

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

#10 jim knight

jim knight
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 02-December 08

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

OKay... sorry for barking.

Play to discuss... HS Fast Pitch / runner on 3rd, ball four to Batter / ball in pitchers posession, in pitching circle / batter runner continues to second / FI turns to watch but makes no play on batter runner / runner at third breaks for the plate... Legal or illegal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users