16 replies to this topic

#1 twjones

twjones
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

Very close to purchasing a System Seven.... looking at the pros and cons. If you can provide any feedback that would be great! Thanks.

Hollow Steel MVP4000UMP:SL vs. Titanium MVP4000UMP:TI

#2 All-Star Sports

All-Star Sports
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 01-June 10

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

Very close to purchasing a System Seven.... looking at the pros and cons. If you can provide any feedback that would be great! Thanks.

Hollow Steel MVP4000UMP:SL vs. Titanium MVP4000UMP:TI

Thanks for asking!

Lets start with ethe Hollow Steel MVP4000UMP:SL
This is a steel cage... and just like any other steel cage, if it takes enough of an impact or many repeated impacts, it will bend. The hollow steel cage is lighter than our standard I-Bar steel cage and also more durable. This cage also has I-Bar Vision.

The MVP4000UMP:TI titanium cage is an insanely strong cage.
Just a little back story... We don't use a pure titanium because when we were first testing it out the titanium bent wayyy to easily fo us. Higher cost and less durability meant that we wern't going to do it. But we kept looking for something better. What we came up with is a Titanium Alloy, which is just as light but much more stronger.

I have never seen a TI cage returned to us that has bent or broken in any way. In our testing, for both the traditional masks and the MVP helmets, the titanium just doesn't bend. We can shoot it so many times at ball speeds over 100MPH and after testing it, you would hardly even know that it had been hit. For the pro players who choose wear our facemasks, we give them replacement padding everyear to put on their TI cages. In fact, this morning, CB Bucknor's mask just came back to be reconditioned, we'll swap the padding out, clean it up a bit, but the mask will go back to him with the same titanium cage that was on it.

Attached are two images showing the difference in cages. As you can see, the SL cage is a tad thicker than the TI.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

FYI, I am heading down to spring training tomorrow morning for the next week, so I may not be as active on here as I would like. It's a tough job talking shop with MLB catchers ;)

Attached Files

Brad Jurga | All-Star Sporting Goods | Facebook | Twitter | Blog

#3 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Brad, are we any closer on the umpire chest protectors?

#4 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,958 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

Next time I'm on the market for a new mask I'm going to take a serious look at the All-Star HSMs. But I still love my Wildon Dyna lite traditional mask.

Warren

#5 All-Star Sports

All-Star Sports
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 01-June 10

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

YES. But I cant post too much right now. You will see something within the next couple months.

#6 NWA_UMP

NWA_UMP
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

YES. But I cant post too much right now. You will see something within the next couple months.

That is too late Brad...most of us are gearing up NOW for the upcoming season, not in a couple of months. I am in the market for a hard shell protector now! Not after the seaon begins....I don't like purchasing protection gear during the season...I want time to adjust the gear, get used to how it works, make sure I can move properly in the gear before I hit the diamond. As we all know you can return gear after its been used...I will get in the gear at the house and make sure I like it BEFORE I hit the diamond...

Just my view on the subject...

#7 All-Star Sports

All-Star Sports
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 01-June 10

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

That is too late Brad...most of us are gearing up NOW for the upcoming season, not in a couple of months. I am in the market for a hard shell protector now! Not after the seaon begins....I don't like purchasing protection gear during the season...I want time to adjust the gear, get used to how it works, make sure I can move properly in the gear before I hit the diamond. As we all know you can return gear after its been used...I will get in the gear at the house and make sure I like it BEFORE I hit the diamond...

Just my view on the subject...

Thanks for the feedback. Here is just a bit of info on our timeline and how things work for us.

Last summer (2010) we gathered LOTS of valuable information about umpire chest protectors and spoke to many umpires about what their dream chest protector would be. From that point, we start prototyping, testing, and buidling samples. The goal is to have a completed "production ready" design by this time of the year (2011) so that we can go out and show stores... so that they hopefully buy it from us... so that they can sell it to you. Technically, this is not going to be available to the public until late 2011 or by the 2012 season. Things don't happen very fast.

If you're in the market now, you may not want to wait for one of ours.

Thanks!

#8 hckyosgood30

hckyosgood30
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 11-July 09
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

Brad, Thanks for all of the information! On the 4000 can we order it with the leather padding that I see some of MLB guys wearing much like the wilson fx? Or do I have to take the pads to my local leathersmith and have him make new ones for me again? Also on the new chest protector Please put on the delta flex back strap, or make it an option! I love that strap and I've put them on all of my wilsons.

Just my $0.02
At any given moment half the people like you and half of them hate you. Out of the half that hate you only half of them know the rules. So really only 25% of them hate you at any given time.... I like those odds!

#9 slo8140

slo8140
  • Premium Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09
  • LocationTyler, TX

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

Brad, Thanks for all of the information! On the 4000 can we order it with the leather padding that I see some of MLB guys wearing much like the wilson fx? Or do I have to take the pads to my local leathersmith and have him make new ones for me again? Also on the new chest protector Please put on the delta flex back strap, or make it an option! I love that strap and I've put them on all of my wilsons.

Just my $0.02

I think the only leather pad that some of the pros are wearing is the chin pad. I was able to get one last year...can't remember where and wore it for the first time the other day. I have facial hair and still think I prefer the system 7 padding. Brad might know if more are available, but the shape of the leather pad I got was like the old all-stars. Kind of flat and wraps around the chin. Not the pyramid shape like the system 7 pad. They both work well. I just think I will prefer the moisture wicking one in the long run.

On the Delta-Flex transition on your wilsons, how did you do it and was it easy? I am interested on doing that on my Gold and Douglas. Is it just a plug and play thing, or did some sewing work have to be done. I know that you would have to somehow remove the hooks from the delta flex and replace them with the buckle on the douglas or the shoulder pad style clip on the wilson.

Any help would be appreciated.

#10 hckyosgood30

hckyosgood30
  • Members
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 11-July 09
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

slo,

The delta force strap isn't just a plug and play for anyone who's larger ie. 40 jacket size and above. If your skinny enough then its extremely easy. However for me (size 42L) I took my elastic straps from the wilson and cut them in half. Then I went to my tailor and had them take off the nylon delta flex strap and replace them with the wilson elastic straps. All in all $5 and about 30 min of waiting. As for the clips on the delta force when you order it from allstar they don't come with it, so there is nothing to remove. And on my wilson the nylon straps fit perfectly on the shoulder. If you'd like more pictures look up "customizing your gear." I put a few pics of my wilson platinum on there. I love the feel of my chest protector now! It's much more snug moves better with me, is lower profiled as well as there's no plastic disk to cut into my back. All in all if all-star could make this strap available for "bigger" guys by just adding a longer strap then it would be a full plug in play but for now you may need some tweeking.

Hope this helps
At any given moment half the people like you and half of them hate you. Out of the half that hate you only half of them know the rules. So really only 25% of them hate you at any given time.... I like those odds!

#11 slo8140

slo8140
  • Premium Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09
  • LocationTyler, TX

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

Great. That does help. I fall in the larger size so I would have to have the strap altered to fit me.

#12 twjones

twjones
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Silly question alert...

Brad:

Is it possible to change out the steel cage with a titanium. I.E. if someone bought a MVP4000UMP:SL and down the road the frame bent (or whatever), could that person replace the steel cage with a TI?

(I assume yes; however, would rather hear it from the top.)

#13 All-Star Sports

All-Star Sports
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 01-June 10

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

Silly question alert...

Brad:

Is it possible to change out the steel cage with a titanium. I.E. if someone bought a MVP4000UMP:SL and down the road the frame bent (or whatever), could that person replace the steel cage with a TI?

(I assume yes; however, would rather hear it from the top.)

Yes. If you ever desire to do this just shoot me a message through this forum.

Slo did this exact thing last fall.

-Brad

#14 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:56 AM

Brad,

From what little I know about the chest protector, I'm willing to wait. Test the he// out of it, get it right, and let a few out in the field. Let the buzz build, and let 'em fly.

Just be sure to get that new logo on the neck line, for visiblity.

Ladies and gents, it'll be worth the wait.

#15 ukce1861

ukce1861

Premium Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Joined 09-January 10
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

I know you were soliciting feedback on Shin Guards last year as well. Are they on a similar time table?

#16 All-Star Sports

All-Star Sports
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 01-June 10

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

I know you were soliciting feedback on Shin Guards last year as well. Are they on a similar time table?

Yes, the leg guards are in fact on a similar time table. Sorry guys, wish everything happened faster.
It's great though because we can get these things on some guys for feedback over the summer an to help work out the bugs. Then changes can be made if needed by the time they hit the stores.
Same thing goes with lots of our catchers equipment...normally a few pro players and some minor league guys we are close with will have any new chest protectors, leg guards..basically anything before the actual product goes out to the public. It is just another check to make sure that we have things right.
Thanks for asking!
In Fort Myers,-brad

#17 midmoump

midmoump
  • Inactive
  • 340 posts
  • Joined 23-February 09

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll toss my two cents in. . .

If you're more interested in a longer lasting frame, get the titanium cage.
If you're more interested in reducing the effects of a foul ball impact on your noggin', get the steel.

The theory is that steel will absorb more of the impact of a vicious foul ball by bending the cage. The energy is applied to denting the cage, and not your head. Some MLB guys use steel cages and masks for that reason. However, protective gear is a disposable item to an MLB guy. Most amateurs have to spend hard earned cash for their gear, so a throw away mask or helmet cage is not high on the priority list.

I'm just repeating what Brad said in his reply:
The titanium will likely last longer and be more durable.
The steel will likely protect you better.

-Pete
Umpire equipment, apparel and training aid reviews at Midwest Ump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users