#21 noumpere

noumpere
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Joined 14-April 09

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

Has anyone ever actually called this?

No because theres also a case play where only one strike is called and especially given the contradiction thats the one I choose to enforce.

I recall that FED has said that this is a left over error. Why they dont go in and fix it I dont know.

#22 bam

bam
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 16-April 12
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

No because theres also a case play where only one strike is called and especially given the contradiction thats the one I choose to enforce.

I recall that FED has said that this is a left over error. Why they dont go in and fix it I dont know.

See post #10 in this thread. It has a case play for the 2 strike scenario as well.

I can't imagine ever calling it.

#23 Jimurray

Jimurray
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 09-November 10

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

The caseplay reflects the rule so I don't know what other caseplay you would be refering to:
As BAM cited:

6-2-4-d.1
1. If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (B) with both feet or © holds up his hand to request "Time," it shall not be a balk. In (a) and ©, there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call "Time" and begin play anew. In (B), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of [url="""]7-3-1[/url]. In (a), (B) and ©, if the pitcher ¬≠legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (B). If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to [url="""]3-3-1[/url]o.

Not that I encourage looking for this infraction.

#24 dddunn3d

dddunn3d
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-February 11
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

We tell our guys not to look to call this. I doubt I'll ever see it or call it. I hope we didn't educate somebody that wants to show his rule knowledge.

Picture this;
Bottom 7th. Contract school behind by 1. Bases juiced. 2 outs. 3-1 count. Pitcher with control issues is really struggling. Stretch, set, B6 steps out asking for time and HP ends the game applying this rule. What a sh*tstorm!!!

You're not implying that the PU should ignore the proper application of the rule, are you?

If PU has the proper vigilance and mechanics, the play is dead before the second foot has a chance to get out.

Oh, I see... You're an advocate of inserting yourself into the game, rather than administering the rules as written.

#25 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Oh, I see... You're an advocate of inserting yourself into the game, rather than administering the rules as written.

I don't think either of those statements mean what you think they do.

#26 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

UmpNation Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 9,048 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

We tell our guys not to look to call this. I doubt I'll ever see it or call it. I hope we didn't educate somebody that wants to show his rule knowledge.

Picture this;
Bottom 7th. Contract school behind by 1. Bases juiced. 2 outs. 3-1 count. Pitcher with control issues is really struggling. Stretch, set, B6 steps out asking for time and HP ends the game applying this rule. What a sh*tstorm!!!

You're not implying that the PU should ignore the proper application of the rule, are you?

He would have to know what the rule is before he could ignore it

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 40

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          45

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#27 noumpere

noumpere
  • Members
  • 4,391 posts
  • Joined 14-April 09

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Okay finally back to where I can get my books. See case 5-2-1

About 10 or 15 years ago FED changed the rule on this (rule 7-3-1) to include the words "delays the game" Before that it was supposed to be a strike if the batter left the box even if it didnt cause any harm. Note that the cases in section 7-3 generally have that phrase in them now -- that didnt used to be the case.

Since the other case is in the pitching section I guess they didnt remember it was there and it didnt get changed. And I dont know why they hgavenet changed it after about 10 years. My guess is because no one calls it and so no coach sends the change request to Indianapolis

#28 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,324 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

That's almost trivial. Doesn't calling time ALWAYS delay the game to some extent?
2014 Game Count: 112
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

#29 noumpere

noumpere
  • Members
  • 4,391 posts
  • Joined 14-April 09

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

If the batter steps out with two feet and th pitcher throws the ptch any way (and gets the strike no matter where the pitch is) how has the batter delayed the game?

Heck, if you call two stikes on the play you'll jhave to delay the game even more to finish ejecting the coach. lol.

#30 Jimurray

Jimurray
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 09-November 10

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Okay finally back to where I can get my books. See case 5-2-1

About 10 or 15 years ago FED changed the rule on this (rule 7-3-1) to include the words "delays the game" Before that it was supposed to be a strike if the batter left the box even if it didnt cause any harm. Note that the cases in section 7-3 generally have that phrase in them now -- that didnt used to be the case.

Since the other case is in the pitching section I guess they didnt remember it was there and it didnt get changed. And I dont know why they hgavenet changed it after about 10 years. My guess is because no one calls it and so no coach sends the change request to Indianapolis

Thanks, that works for me.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)