Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Photo
- - - - -

This could get ugly if UE members get involved!!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,569 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

https://www.facebook...506189182729450

UA's Facebook is having its friends bid on an All Star Superlight Titanium Alloy Umpire Mask that is valued at $209 on its website.

Bidding ends at midnight, and we are already at $110. I expect to see many of your names appear in the comments section!

I may jump in there as well...

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: From Football to Fall Ball and everything in between
2014 Games: 108
Career Games: 305
Career Championship Games: 13 (6 League; 7 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 8 (5 coach; 3 player)

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 Stan W.

Stan W.

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,821 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

no thanks.....just dropped my backup Navy Honigs single bar off at the powder coaters for restoration................deciding if ill reinstall the leather doeskin pads or add some team wendy's......

for a lot less $$

#3 FranklinT

FranklinT
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Joined 17-October 09

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

I still don't see the benefits of titanium. It doesn't appear to be more protective than steel, plus the bars on the regular all star or honigs powder coated masks are just as good to see out of.

I bought this mask for $150 two years ago and sent it back.

#4 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,569 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Considering making a bid of $155... Top bid right now is $150.

I could sell two masks I have now (not really happy with either anyway), and come back only $50 or $60 in the hole.... Thoughts? What are the pros and cons of the mask?

#5 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

You have to weigh every mask decision with buying a lightweight, hollow tube steel frame, and loading it with Team Wendy pads. To me, that's the new standard.

#6 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,569 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Some guy just bid $180. I'm not gonna top that. :P

#7 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

I think Ti may be a "cool factor." I love the Nike Ti. I don't think I'd drop that much cake for this particular mask.
2014 Game Count: 120
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

#8 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,017 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

You have to weigh every mask decision with buying a lightweight, hollow tube steel frame, and loading it with Team Wendy pads. To me, that's the new standard.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YEP!! :nod:

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#9 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,017 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

The thing about the All-Star Ti is that it's a blend of metals ......it's not like the Wilson Ti. And, they've tested this rig at over 100mph in their own air cannon. Brad from All-Star has stated that the blend of Ti and other 'secret ingredients' that All-Star uses is the trick to its durability.

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#10 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

But what makes this mask any better than the $85 All-Star I bought earlier this season? The mask itself is 16.5 ounces and has great visibility - how much better can this one possibly be?

#11 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,017 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

But what makes this mask any better than the $85 All-Star I bought earlier this season? The mask itself is 16.5 ounces and has great visibility - how much better can this one possibly be?

Nothing Rich ........ again ...like with a lot of stuff ...it's the "cool factor" ....

Jeff

#12 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,654 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

$180 in an auction isn't that great of a deal considering that it's basically 10% off...of what you can get by being a member on this site.

Funny stuff.
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#13 FranklinT

FranklinT
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • Joined 17-October 09

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

The thing about the All-Star Ti is that it's a blend of metals ......it's not like the Wilson Ti. And, they've tested this rig at over 100mph in their own air cannon. Brad from All-Star has stated that the blend of Ti and other 'secret ingredients' that All-Star uses is the trick to its durability.

Don't think any of us really care what the materials are...we want something protective, comfortable, and that provides good vision.

Based on this, I saw no difference between the all star titanium and regular powder coated fm25. That's why I returned it.

#14 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,017 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Don't think any of us really care what the materials are...we want something protective, comfortable, and that provides good vision.

Based on this, I saw no difference between the all star titanium and regular powder coated fm25. That's why I returned it.

just pointing out the differences and some added info some may not be aware of ..........

Jeff

#15 FranklinT

FranklinT
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • Joined 17-October 09

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

just pointing out the differences and some added info some may not be aware of ..........

That's not what I meant. I just meant paying a "premium" price for a titanium mask.

#16 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,017 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

That's not what I meant. I just meant paying a "premium" price for a titanium mask.

violent agreement :)

Jeff

#17 renegadewolf

renegadewolf
  • Members
  • 319 posts
  • Joined 02-May 12
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario
  • Your Association Name :Cambridge, Guelph Minor Basball, Royal City, Golden Horseshoe Baseball Leagues

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Grant, it's been very bsaic and limited research, but from what I gathered here frames are liekly made from Grade 5 titanium. Grade 5, also known as Ti6Al4V, Ti-6Al-4V or Ti 6-4, is the most commonly used alloy. It has a chemical composition of 6% aluminium, 4% vanadium, 0.25% (maximum) iron, 0.2% (maximum) oxygen, and the remainder titanium.[5] It is significantly stronger than commercially pure titanium while having the same stiffness and thermal properties. It also has a tensile strength (amount of force per area to break it) of 1000 Mega Pascals. Stainless steel for means of comparrison has a tensile strength of 570 Mega Pascals. Long story short, the titanium is a fair lot stronger, but it is stupid expensive because of the fact Titanium must be melted in an inert atmosphere or in a vacuum otherwise the metal will combust before it reaches the melting point. Hopefully this has helped muddy the waters some

#18 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Funny, I tig welded a piece of Ti at work just to try it. Some special procedures are required to get the proper penetration that will provide the optimum tensile strength (psi). Not much different than welding other alloys, technique wise. Very expensive rods. It is a very strong metallurgical composition, especially considering the weight reduction factor from regular carbon or T1 steel. I'm seriously considering constructing my own mask.
2014 Game Count: 120
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

#19 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,569 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

LOL, now that $180 winner has abandoned ship and claimed someone hacked his account. I may have won it with the $155 bid.

UA just couldn't get off easy with a simple facebook auction could they?

#20 renegadewolf

renegadewolf
  • Members
  • 319 posts
  • Joined 02-May 12
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario
  • Your Association Name :Cambridge, Guelph Minor Basball, Royal City, Golden Horseshoe Baseball Leagues

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

Funny, I tig welded a piece of Ti at work just to try it. Some special procedures are required to get the proper penetration that will provide the optimum tensile strength (psi). Not much different than welding other alloys, technique wise. Very expensive rods. It is a very strong metallurgical composition, especially considering the weight reduction factor from regular carbon or T1 steel. I'm seriously considering constructing my own mask.

I've not done much tig welding, only a cursory training in a few of the millwright classes I've taken, it tends to be reserved for the actual welding tradespeople because of the afore mentioned expense. If you have the skills and means to fabricate a mask, while I wouldn't do it myself (as my skill level may or may not be adequate for steel anyhow and certainly not for titanium) I wish you the best in your endevours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users