It's even cool when there isn't a play!

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4231 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Scott,

I'd encourage you to attend a "non-local" clinic when and if you get a chance.

You actually strike me as someone who cares about the quality of his umpiring.

Probably the most convenient quality umpire camp for where you live is the Mid-America Umpire camp held in Springfield, MO in the fall. I haven't been (yet), but I know some people who have who speak very highly of the instruction there. It can really open your eyes to get out of the local scene and get a more "national" perspective - plus, you'll learn a lot regardless of your experience level.

Just a thought.

JM

Thanks JM. I will definitely look into it.

i musy have missed something - becuase we have a few guys who have been solid contributors for a long long time uncharacteristacally attacking a giy who seems to give a shot about hs game...i dont know what happened

and if scott umps in a place where they follow FED mechancs (in NJ they want u1 to take BR into 3rd), his global perspective isnt going to help jhim keep in sync with his partners

Scott, this is a DIRECT quote from post #24:

"I agree that as long as your association expects this and you pregame it, do it."

I have said NOTHING derogatory or insulting to you. I simply asked some what-ifs. Apparently, our mechanics aren't as Fed strict as yours in my HS association. I admit having thrown the NFHSUMM on a shelf and only skimming it. All that being said, if you do what you're instructed and is expcted, it looks like a well oiled machine on rotations.

Apology accepted ;)

Trout,

I've had no problem with anything you've said in this thread.

Scott, I hope not. :) :)

Jax, I've faced USMC Drill, Instructors, angry coaches/parents/fans/players, been married 20 years, raised 2 teenagers, football coaches (I played in HS), and legions of other people I've had that wanted to do physical harm to me. Compared to them, you're a box of kittens! Any "attack" from you pales by comparison! B)

So you are in the working area and headed Home?

So who would take the call at home? No way the PU with shin guards and all is going to be able to get back in time.

Why not! Its called hustle. I run as fast with plate gear as no plate gear.

We don't use any 2-man mechanics that require a BU to rotate to home.

Because the PU is on the outside and chasing the runner. If the runner is faster than the umpire the umpire may be making a call from behind the runner. In my opinion the BU has a much better shot at getting into a good position to make the call. Especially if he's prepared to do so. The PU would have to wait until the play as he would be watching for the tag. Once the throw goes to third, and it's obvious the runner is not going to be subject to a potential rundown, the BU can break for home and be in a better position. That was the logic as it was explained to me. That's the same logic that is used for why the PU would take a single runner at third. It's consistent and the BU doesn't have to watch for something at second and then transition over to the third.

I know im super late... but if the PU comes up and takes any play at 3rd ( in 2 man) the PU will stay on the inside of the diamond, no go back outside.

• Like 1

I know some pretty high end Illinois guys that would never consider using Fed mechanics. There seem to be a wide variety of groups there so you may have talked to a group that goes with the Fed manual. I second getting to a good clinic, MidAmerica would serve you well. You will learn more in a couple of days than you have to this point in your career. That's not a knock on you, just a fact. I know after the first one I went to I wondered how I had ever gotten anything correct.

I worked with a new partner/old friend yesterday. R1, I'm on the dish. Ball is hit. I see the potential play at 3b developing, so I decide to go to 3b cutout. I announce as I bust it up there. Partner acknowledges. Cool. Until I see him break from "C" and head to the dish. :WTF:

Apparently, he and his usual partner do this routinely. On the ride home we discussed what I consider proper rotation mechanics. I got out PBUC 2Man and we covered situations as he drove.

I know some pretty high end Illinois guys that would never consider using Fed mechanics. ....

Michael,

As a matter of fact, the IHSA does NOT endorse the mechanics in the FED Umpire Manual, and has its own 2 and 3 man mechanics published as PowerPoints on the IHSA Officals' website. They are much more similar (though not identical) to CCA mechanics than the hodgepodge documented in the NFHS Umpire Manual.

JM

Althought he PBUC system is a good resourse, I recommend using the CCA when it comes to mechanics. Colleges and a lot of other amatuer ball uses the CCA. If one aspires to work higher level ball, this is the proper way to work. There are subtle differences in two man, more in three man. JMTC

FED will be issuing a "completely" re-written mechanics manual in 2013. It is in it's late editing stage right now. This came from from our state representative who was on the committee.

• Like 1

"I agree that as long as your association expects this and you pregame it, do it."

I have said NOTHING derogatory or insulting to you. I simply asked some what-ifs. Apparently, our mechanics aren't as Fed strict as yours in my HS association. I admit having thrown the NFHSUMM on a shelf and only skimming it. All that being said, if you do what you're instructed and is expcted, it looks like a well oiled machine on rotations.

Apology accepted ;)

And how did you come about having one ? The State of Alabama has its own UM, and does not even receive Fed manuals.

Apology accepted ;)

And how did you come about having one ? The State of Alabama has its own UM, and does not even receive Fed manuals.

Jake

Apology accepted ;)

Jake

A: WTH would he get one ?

2: Why ? He's never read one, lol.

Would this be considered a good rotation or bad. 2-man mechanics.

No Runners, BT hits a ground ball to left side, BU goes to B, batter rounds first and digs for 2. throw goes by 2nd baseman, runners go to 3 and gets in a pickle. PU is at 3rd, BU is at 2nd. In the pickle, the ball goes by again and the runner heads toward third. Instead of the HP umpire backpedaling home, BU shouts "I got 4, I got 4!" BU rotates towards home, around the mound, the PU stays at 3rd. PU makes the call out at 3.

No Runners, BT hits a ground ball to left side, BU goes to B, batter rounds first and digs for 2. throw goes by 2nd baseman, runners go to 3 and gets in a pickle. PU is at 3rd, BU is at 2nd. In the pickle, the ball goes by again and the runner heads toward third. Instead of the HP umpire backpedaling home, BU shouts "I got 4, I got 4!" BU rotates towards home, around the mound, the PU stays at 3rd. PU makes the call out at 3.

1) PU shouldn't be at third on the initial throw there (maybe you meant he went up there during the run down)

2) Once he's there, if the ball gets away and the runner tries for home, that's the PU's call.

Terrible, IMO. Of course, Texas is the place where that "BU covers the plate" mechanic was dreamed up, I think.

The PU shouldn't be heading to third until the rundown happens. So the odds of him actually getting there and saying "I got this end" are not that great. One umpire, one runner is perfectly fine, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...