Unbelievable!!!

Jocko
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4262 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Watching BoSux/Rangers game. Liner down 1BL. BU has to jump into FT to not get hit. ANNOUNCERS BRAGGED ON HIS HUSTLE AND VISION!!! One liked the call, the other didn't, but they both talked about him keeping his eyes on the ball and concentration. Thunderheads, you MUST post this one! Top of the 3rd. I think there were 2 outs.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday was a good day in some regards for umpires...

Last night on MLB Tonight A batter for I forget which team hits an apparent double with 2 outs scoring a run. An appeal is made that the BR missed first and the umpire called the out negating the run. Video replay was inconclusive and maybe even showed he touched it. Mitch Williams pointed out where the umpire was and that he was looking directly at the base at the time.

Also yesterday, Giants vs. Padres - Dana Demuth calls a catch for F7 making a diving play on a fly ball. Bruce Bochy comes out to argue that the ball was trapped (video replay shows clearly that it was) and the umpires get together and reverse the call. I thought Bud Black was gonna get tossed, but kudos to the umpires for getting together and fixing the call. (And, yes - I would still think it was a good thing to do even if it hadn't helped my team) Now, the announcer (John Miller) still described it as 'one umpire over-ruling another' but what can you do?

Edited by Dragon29

I would sure hate to have my games put on tv, replayed in slow motion, slowed down frame by frame and then a little yellow box put around my strike zone. Could you imagine?? These umpires are some of the best in the world yet they get ostersized (sp)

I saw a replay on ESPN a few weeks back where Laz Diaz was being questioned and then, whammo, here comes the slow motion replay. I do not know him but have always thought he did a pretty bang up job. It is pretty easy to sit in a booth popping off with a slow motion replay going compared to making a real time call as it happens. I remember He-who-shall-not-be-named hammering on Durwood Merril over a ball rolling around.

Announcers are the reason I tend to watch baseball games with the sound off. There are some pretty good ones in all fairness, I happen to like the tigers announcers and the jays announcers tend to be pretty knowledgeable, considering one of them is Buck Martinez, they better be and I could listen to Vin Scully read the phone book but these guys are exceptions.