30 replies to this topic

#21 CS-Blue

CS-Blue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 24-May 12
  • LocationNorthern Kentucky
  • Your Association Name :Northern Kentucky Baseball Umpire Association (NKBUA)

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

I use the hammer and I will never point. I just don't like the way it looks when I do it. I know lots of other umpires that use the point and they look fine, I just don't like it. My hammer is VERY different from the softball "pierce the sky" mechanic. I keep mine low, under my nose, and out in front with the back of my fist turned 45 degrees. I have been told by many that I make the hammer look GOOD.

#22 Called3rdStrike

Called3rdStrike
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 04-June 12
  • LocationFlorida Panhandle
  • Your Association Name :FHSAA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

I've recently started using the hammer when I've worked a lot of games or doin younger guys. But HS or older guys (13+) I do, "pop", that's a strike(in the mind) drop step, HIKE! Pointing somewhere in the first base dugout direction. Once you get a few strikes in the first inning they'll realize your mechanics and know what's a strike and what's a ball. Especially of you vocalize balls

#23 Called3rdStrike

Called3rdStrike
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 04-June 12
  • LocationFlorida Panhandle
  • Your Association Name :FHSAA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

I've recently started using the hammer when I've worked a lot of games or doin younger guys. But HS or older guys (13+) I do, "pop", that's a strike(in the mind) drop step, HIKE! Pointing somewhere in the first base dugout direction. Once you get a few strikes in the first inning they'll realize your mechanics and know what's a strike and what's a ball. Especially of you vocalize balls

#24 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationRiverside, California

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

I don't see how it could be a problem, other than a coordination problem.....lol :fuel:
I use the point and call it as I am pointing.
Can't imagine a call being to slow.
One thing to remember, nothing has been called until I call it. :meditation:

Suffered Back problem that required Surgery in Feb so well off my normal game count for the year.

But I am Happy, Happy, Happy.

#25 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,966 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Was he maybe saying that the mechanic itself was too slow as in drawn out versus a nice crisp snap?

Warren

#26 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I think the hammer out in front or lower and off to the side. The one you see in the NCAA Women's tournament looks like somebody trying to grab something off of the very top shelf. Couple that with the "crapping in the woods" stance and it gets pretty silly.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#27 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

I think the hammer out in front or lower and off to the side. The one you see in the NCAA Women's tournament looks like somebody trying to grab something off of the very top shelf. Couple that with the "crapping in the woods" stance and it gets pretty silly.

Looks like they're picking apples off a tree.

#28 umpire_scott

umpire_scott
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined 25-June 12
  • Your Association Name :Missouri High School Athletic Association

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

I used to point to the side when I first started umpiring (and back then I was mostly doing baseball). What I liked about pointing the side is that it gives, to me at least, a better set-up for a strike 3 punch out. After the point with the right with my verbal "hike", then punch with the left, while bringing the right back in a fist with a verbal "3".

After doing a lot of softball and being continually reminded of the softball mechanic I tried to develop a mechanic that would sort of work for both. That way I don't have to adjust as much. When I do softball I try to verbalize quicker, and then stand and do the punch in front of me. I just can't stand do the arm punch so high as I think it looks really stupid.

#29 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

It does
2014 Game Count: 40
2014 Rainouts: 15
2014 DL misses : 13

#30 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

The high softball strike is what I call poking the cloud. I like the hammer to be in front and below the chin. The pro school hammer is a handshake and pound the nail, which means coming up along your side and closing your fist as you bang the nail beside your ear. Personally I point on the first two strikes and hammer a third strike swung at.
Posted Image

#31 csabo17

csabo17
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • LocationHazard,Ky
  • Your Association Name :KHSAA, KIAC, Sandlot America

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

The high softball strike is what I call poking the cloud. I like the hammer to be in front and below the chin. The pro school hammer is a handshake and pound the nail, which means coming up along your side and closing your fist as you bang the nail beside your ear. Personally I point on the first two strikes and hammer a third strike swung at.

Wow, i do the same. Always point unless its strike 3 swinging. Then i just give a crisp little hammer about ear high. I changed to this when i started working the knee stance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users