PonyUmpire
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 28-May 12
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Your Association Name :Pacific Umpires, NCTB, YUA, San Diego Blues

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

What are your thoughts on the point strike mechanic? My problem with it is that its hard to have a simultaneous signal & verbal, while managing to make the call in a reasonable amount of time. How do you guys do the point without it being too slow?

#2 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

What, in your mind, means a call is too slow?

#3 noumpere

noumpere
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Joined 14-April 09

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

And why is it hard to do them at the same time? I dont use it but I dont have a problem with those who do -- and many of them aresimutaneaous and not too slow.

#4 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

UmpNation Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 9,054 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Stand point and call not hard.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 40

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          45

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#5 scrounge

scrounge
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Joined 20-April 11
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Unless you're on your knees and waiting to get up and then point, I can't imagine how it would take an unreasonable amount of time.

#6 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

Is there a time limit on a strike call?

#7 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,645 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

No different than a hammer and a voice. Point and voice are the same
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#8 carolinablue

carolinablue
  • Members
  • 1,482 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

You just have to make your mind up your going to do it. I adjusted from strike then signal to simultaneous strike, hammer in one game. Looked bad a few times but from that point on no problems. What I found, for some reason it greatly improved my timing and the consistency of it.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't-you're right. ~Henry Ford

#9 PonyUmpire

PonyUmpire
  • Members
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 28-May 12
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I was just told by an evaluator that my point mechanic was too slow. I think I'm probably going to go back to the hammer because: A) It's faster B.) I can face the field the whole time C.) Easier to have good timing

#10 Texarkana

Texarkana
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 04-July 11
  • LocationTexarkana, Texas

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

I use them both. For the younger kids, probably 12 and under, I point. For the older kids, it's hammer time. The kids and coaches seem to get confused at times with the hammer (out etc.) Pointing is not hard. stand, call point. Not real difficult. I umpired a few games with a guy last week who assigns for another HS chapter. He was telling me about the software he uses. Talked about evaluating and ranking "his" umpires. When he got done, I asked who evaluated and ranked him? One thing that I firmly believe in is being set to make a call out in the field. I am locked down like a tripod watching the play.

#11 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

I was just told by an evaluator that my point mechanic was too slow. I think I'm probably going to go back to the hammer because: A) It's faster B.) I can face the field the whole time C.) Easier to have good timing

Sometimes the evaluators are idiots.

I've pointed my entire career. Voice at the same time as the point. My timing is quite slow. I'd probably say something like, "Thanks for the feedback" and that would be the end of it.

It's almost impossible to be too slow unless you are *trying* to be too slow on purpose.

#12 PonyUmpire

PonyUmpire
  • Members
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 28-May 12
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Sometimes the evaluators are idiots.

I've pointed my entire career. Voice at the same time as the point. My timing is quite slow. I'd probably say something like, "Thanks for the feedback" and that would be the end of it.

It's almost impossible to be too slow unless you are *trying* to be too slow on purpose.

I told him that I was channeling Tim McClelland.

#13 MUAump2

MUAump2
  • Members
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 16-June 11
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :MUA, JCOA, GPBA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Pony, as far as facing the field when you point, I feel like it's important to do so just in case something happens. A D-I umpire I work with every now and then told me he points up the first base line. I thought it looked good, made sense as to why he did it, so I started doing it also, and I must say I like it. Looks sharp (voice and point at same time), and you keep your head more forward.

My friend who works the in the NWL points to the side, but keeps his head forward when there are runners on.
"Whether you can or you can't, you're right."

#14 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

I point, always have been. I used to go to the side but started pointing up the base line.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#15 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

I point at the hottest glm in the stands. Lacking one worthy, I point up 1BL. :)
2014 Game Count: 112
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

#16 umpire_scott

umpire_scott
  • Members
  • 1,132 posts
  • Joined 25-June 12
  • Your Association Name :Missouri High School Athletic Association

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

I hammer as it's much closer to my dreaded softball mechanic and since I do both I want to keep it simple. I actually come with a quick punch in front of my face. When I do softball I only alter it slightly (delay it until well after the verbal), and that's only when I think about it.

2014 Game Count:

Junior College - 2

High School - 9

Tournament - 56

Total - 67

#17 grayhawk

grayhawk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Can't imagine what too slow would be. What's your evaluator's hurry? Frankly, early in the game, if F2 isn't wondering why I'm not calling a good pitch a strike (until he hears me), I feel that I am too fast. I see F2's holding a pitch and almost looking back in the first inning until they get used to my timing. After a few pitches, they get it. They also know because my "ball" verbal is faster than my "stike" verbal because it takes longer to stand up and point/verbal on a strike than it does to say "ball" and stay down.

2014 Game Count:  High School: 43 | AAU: 0 | Pony: 0 | Little League: 2 | UCLA: 2 | Total: 47

2013 Game Count:  High School: 43 | USSSA: 7 | AAU: 30 | Pony: 11Little League: 17 | UCLA: 1Total: 109

#18 UmpTTS43

UmpTTS43
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Joined 05-January 09
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

What are your thoughts on the point strike mechanic? My problem with it is that its hard to have a simultaneous signal & verbal, while managing to make the call in a reasonable amount of time. How do you guys do the point without it being too slow?

I point, give a verbal at the same time AND chew gum.

#19 MPLSMatt

MPLSMatt
  • Members
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 21-May 10

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

When I'm not using the Leslie Nealson moonwalk strike, I'm a side pointer and in the past I've been told I was "too fast," so it certainly can be done. To me the only way the hammer is faster is if you aren't standing up to make it. Also, every umpire I've ever respected has told me "there is no such thing as too slow, it's nothing until you call it anyway."

I'll admit, I do feel rushed a little when I hear dady coach going "nice pitch, Jimmy" as I call about.

#20 MUAump2

MUAump2
  • Members
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 16-June 11
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :MUA, JCOA, GPBA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I personally am not a fan of the hammer strike in baseball, for the most part because I think it looks too much like the softball mechanic and I just don't like it. I know at pro school they require the hammer, and I believe until full season A you've gotta hammer. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the level where that changes.)
"Whether you can or you can't, you're right."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users