#1 C'MON_Blue55

C'MON_Blue55
  • Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 26-June 12
  • Your Association Name :Twin City Umpire Association

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Boys I must say that I had a triple play turned today. It was huge at the time it occurred. Kid walked the bases loaded and the next batter, with a 3-0 count, hits a line shot directly at SS. He kindly stepped on 2nd and fired it over to 1st. I have seen it happen as a spectator, but never been on the field when one happened. I will admit it got me fired up. I don't know why though? It was either the play or the end of an inning that was going to be long. 14 year old all stars here in Louisiana at the district tourney. The team that turned it is the team that won the 13 year old world series in Dixie last year. Just wanna know about some of y'alls triple plays.

#2 umpire_scott

umpire_scott
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Joined 25-June 12
  • Your Association Name :Missouri High School Athletic Association

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

I don't think it was my first one as I'm sure I had some ugly ones when doing little league years ago. But a few weeks ago we had runners on 1st and 2nd. BR hits a rope to F9. He charges and makes a running catch. Runner on 1st was just a few steps off, but runner from second was almost all the way to third base. F9 throws to 1st base first which was the key. Had he done it the other way around they would have only gotten two. Runner tried to get back to 2nd but was out by about 10 feet.

2104 Game Count:

Junior College - 2

High School - 4

Tournament - 28

Total - 34

#3 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

The best one I ever saw was a game ender in an American Legion game. R1, R2 and a standard 5,4,3 double play. The R2 made a big round around third and slipped getting back. F3 throws back to F5 for out three. The really fun part was watching the BU get all three calls, with no real effort.
Posted Image

#4 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 5,537 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Bases juiced. Runner ALL going on the pitch (hit and run no outs bases loaded :WTF: ) grounder to F5 holding runner. Steps on his bag, 5-4-3.
2014 Game Count: 46
2014 Rainouts: 17
2014 DL misses : 13

#5 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

The blonde was a waitress, the brunette was a stewardess, and the redhead was a teacher. They lived together in this condo--wait...never mind.

#6 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

Bases juiced. Runner ALL going on the pitch (hit and run no outs bases loaded :WTF: ) grounder to F5 holding runner. Steps on his bag, 5-4-3.

Did you have a hard time telling the coach that his run didn't count either or did they actually know the basic rules?

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: Winter Travel League, IN MICHIGAN!! :D (It's domed, but still cold)
2014 Games: 35
Career Games: 232
Career Championship Games: 8 (4 League; 4 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 6 (4 coach; 2 player)

#7 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

As far as triple plays goes, I'm sure I've had a few, but they were at the age level where it is the result of someone making the one and only catch of the game, all runners running because they don't know any better, and all the coaches and dads screaming at the kid who caught the ball about where to run and touch the base while at the same time the coaches and dads are yelling on the other side at the runners telling them to go back.

The fielders dads are louder, and the kid does as he is told, and it results in the fastest coach pitch inning ever.

No one moment is memorable, as I usually try to forget those games the second they are done with.

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: Winter Travel League, IN MICHIGAN!! :D (It's domed, but still cold)
2014 Games: 35
Career Games: 232
Career Championship Games: 8 (4 League; 4 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 6 (4 coach; 2 player)

#8 HokieUmp

HokieUmp
  • Moderators
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 08-February 08
  • LocationJapan
  • Your Association Name :A "Ronin"

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

The blonde was a waitress, the brunette was a stewardess, and the redhead was a teacher. They lived together in this condo--wait...never mind.

"Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but ..."

#9 txump81

txump81
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 19-May 10
  • LocationGulf Coast of Texas

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

My first and only was in a high school game. R2, R3 no outs. Line drive at F6's knees. Catch, tag R2, throw to F5 for third out. Funny thing is; the team that turned it is probably the worst around.
Justin

#10 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

My first thought was, were the bases juiced?
Posted Image

#11 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

I was watching two friends umpire a HS regional final last year -- the game ended on a line-drive triple play. As it happened, I was the only person walking down the bleachers -- all the fans in attendance were stunned into sitting there for another 30 seconds or so.

#12 renegadewolf

renegadewolf
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 02-May 12
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario
  • Your Association Name :Cambridge, Guelph Minor Basball, Royal City, Golden Horseshoe Baseball Leagues

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Had runners on 1 and 2, batter his a short looper between 2nd and 3rd. SS had to make a herculian dive to attempt to catch the ball (which he barely missed). Neither my partner nor myself signalled for nor called an infield fly (not enough height and not ordinary effort) and nobody on the offence moved assuming it was an infield fly. SS picked up the ball tagged the runner on 2nd, touched 2nd base then threw the ball to first. Bang bang and bang

#13 carolinablue

carolinablue
  • Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

Throw in a nurse and you got the cycle. Even rarer than a triple play.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't-you're right. ~Henry Ford

#14 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 5,537 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

Jen Brown - blonde waitress
Halle Berry - brunette stewardess
The chic from "Shooter" - redhead teacher
Rosalyn Sanchez - latina nurse

I never wanna wake up from this dream

#15 soapbox

soapbox
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 26-March 09

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

My wife manages to strike me out one at a time. She's turned a double play a few times, that would be striikng out in the morning and then striking me out at night. I think I had back to back nights where she turned that double play, of course we all know what happened next. I was ejected from the bedroom. No chirping, just threw some guilt her way. And by the way, just so I'm clear, I never go down looking, always swinging!

#16 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 5,537 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

My wife manages to strike me out one at a time. She's turned a double play a few times, that would be striikng out in the morning and then striking me out at night. I think I had back to back nights where she turned that double play, of course we all know what happened next. I was ejected from the bedroom. No chirping, just threw some guilt her way. And by the way, just so I'm clear, I never go down looking, always swinging!

sounds like she sometimes gets the 4th out appeal and no run scores!

#17 soapbox

soapbox
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 26-March 09

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Love her dearly. She would expext nothing less from me on this board. Mother of my 4 kids and never a mean thing to say. With that said, "Honey, please, let me strike out looking"

#18 Stretch

Stretch
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 14-August 10
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :GSLAU, CBUA, GPBA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have had 2 triple plays this year about a week apart.

First one -- R1 & R2
R1 and R2 were "thinking" hit and run and they were trippled off. (Perserved a no-hitter.)
I was PU umpire and watched my partner do all the work. Yes, I was moving towards third for a possible tag up.

Second one -- R1 & R2
I was base umpire. CF running hard in dives and catches the ball inches from the ground and rolls over a couple of times.
The runners never tag up and decide to run while the CF is still rolling. They get trippled off.

These things come in screwy spurts. How many times do you have game where you don't have a trouble ball and the next
game you are going out nearly every other batter?
James S.

Lead, follow, or "That's obstruction!!" Time!!"

#19 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

I live with five women. I deal with cycles all the time--and not the good kind.

#20 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Last night I called the ugliest triple play ever. R1,R2, bunt that is a little humpback toward first. The F3 comes at a dead run and catches it inches above the ground, but isn't sure if we had a catch or skip so he throws to third for the force. Well he overthrows F5, F7 had read the catch so he stopped his backup of third, then had to take off again. The pitcher is yelling for the ball to go to second. F7 throws to F1 but high so it went to right. R2 had gone to third and either went on toward home or stayed at third. R1 went to second and started back to first, the BR rounded first and told him to get to second. Meanwhile F9 throws back to F1 at second, I call out, then to first, I call the third out. OM had a stroke.
He said we weren't vocal enough so his runners didn't know it was a catch. So all the offense was clueless, except maybe R1, and all the defense understood what to do. Gotcha.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Triple play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users