8 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 27-July 10

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

OK, I have not umpired and baseball in a few years and have become solely a softball umpire. To those of you who work softball, have you had plate meetings where everyone on BOTH teams came to the plate meeting? It annoys me to no end because it looks silly and isn't necessary as everyone starts BSing, making the plate meeting longer. Coaches/Captains only please, thanks. I once told a coach no about that and got a funny look, as he said "But its a good motivation booster!!" and he proceeded to bring his whole team out with him anyway. :crazy:

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 bbwright_14

bbwright_14
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 31-January 12
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

It happens most of the time around my area. I usually just address my comments to the coaches and get things going as quickly as possible. I agree that it's annoying, but I'm not going to tell them not to come out.

#3 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,580 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Only time I see that happen is in the church leagues where they have the pre game prayer.

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: From Football to Fall Ball and everything in between
2014 Games: 108
Career Games: 305
Career Championship Games: 13 (6 League; 7 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 8 (5 coach; 3 player)

#4 HokieUmp

HokieUmp
  • Moderators
  • 447 posts
  • Joined 08-February 08
  • LocationJapan
  • Your Association Name :A "Ronin"

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

OK, I have not umpired and baseball in a few years and have become solely a softball umpire. To those of you who work softball, have you had plate meetings where everyone on BOTH teams came to the plate meeting? It annoys me to no end because it looks silly and isn't necessary as everyone starts BSing, making the plate meeting longer. Coaches/Captains only please, thanks. I once told a coach no about that and got a funny look, as he said "But its a good motivation booster!!" and he proceeded to bring his whole team out with him anyway. :crazy:

I think that might end up leading to an EJ for not following an umpire's directive, but anyway......

What's everyone else's experience even with "Coaches AND Captains?" WTH?

I'm not doing near the number of games I normally would here at my current location, but in my previous 9 calendar years of umpiring, the most I had would be head coach and an assistant coach. This "Captains and coaches" bullfluff only started for me over here doing DoDDS games. (DoDDS = DoD Dependents Schools) Never saw that before in any scholastic game.

#5 Forest Ump

Forest Ump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 28-February 09
  • LocationBay Area, CA
  • Your Association Name :CCAA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

We do "Coaches and Captains" during HS playoffs and championship games.

#6 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, Mid-America Umpires

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I can count on half of one hand how many times I have had more than just one coach at the plate meeting.

#7 Dannytheman

Dannytheman
  • Members
  • 1,047 posts
  • Joined 21-June 12
  • LocationLos Angles, Peoples Republic of California

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

I always call the managers out to the plate 5 minutes before game time. Managers only. I have had some times when the manager is late and I will add in the Asst.
But I tell him he needs to inform the coach when he gets there. Only during high level games, district championships where there are special guests on the field do I tolerate intrusions. Just let the managers know it's managers only when you first introduce yourself.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! :meditation:

#8 carolinablue

carolinablue
  • Members
  • 1,482 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Every once in a while I get a coach and captain but thats rare. No way I'm letting the entire team stand there.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't-you're right. ~Henry Ford

#9 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

I have had it happen at small private church schools but rarely. What do I care, the only one talking is the manager anyway.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users