Plate Meetings...

Daniel
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4295 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

OK, I have not umpired and baseball in a few years and have become solely a softball umpire. To those of you who work softball, have you had plate meetings where everyone on BOTH teams came to the plate meeting? It annoys me to no end because it looks silly and isn't necessary as everyone starts BSing, making the plate meeting longer. Coaches/Captains only please, thanks. I once told a coach no about that and got a funny look, as he said "But its a good motivation booster!!" and he proceeded to bring his whole team out with him anyway. :crazy:

It happens most of the time around my area. I usually just address my comments to the coaches and get things going as quickly as possible. I agree that it's annoying, but I'm not going to tell them not to come out.

OK, I have not umpired and baseball in a few years and have become solely a softball umpire. To those of you who work softball, have you had plate meetings where everyone on BOTH teams came to the plate meeting? It annoys me to no end because it looks silly and isn't necessary as everyone starts BSing, making the plate meeting longer. Coaches/Captains only please, thanks. I once told a coach no about that and got a funny look, as he said "But its a good motivation booster!!" and he proceeded to bring his whole team out with him anyway. :crazy:

I think that might end up leading to an EJ for not following an umpire's directive, but anyway......

What's everyone else's experience even with "Coaches AND Captains?" WTH?

I'm not doing near the number of games I normally would here at my current location, but in my previous 9 calendar years of umpiring, the most I had would be head coach and an assistant coach. This "Captains and coaches" bullfluff only started for me over here doing DoDDS games. (DoDDS = DoD Dependents Schools) Never saw that before in any scholastic game.

I always call the managers out to the plate 5 minutes before game time. Managers only. I have had some times when the manager is late and I will add in the Asst.

But I tell him he needs to inform the coach when he gets there. Only during high level games, district championships where there are special guests on the field do I tolerate intrusions. Just let the managers know it's managers only when you first introduce yourself.