#1 Pops

Pops
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 30-March 10
  • LocationIllinois, SW of Chicago

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

I was working solo in a very competitive 13U tournament. The score was tied in the bottom of the 6th inning. There was still a little time left on the clock (these were all 1:45 games).

The home team had a runner on first with one out when the batter hit a gapper into left-center. The coach waved R1 around third in order to score the go ahead run. I saw the runner miss third and he eventually touched the plate. The defensive coach immediately had his players appeal the missed base and I called him out. The OC became unglued...he had a temper tantrum about the call, insisting that his player touched the base.

Would you have looked the other way and called him safe?

The next day I overheard a story about a kid hitting a grand slam HR in the bottom of the 7th to apparently win a game 4-3. The BU called the batter out for missing second after appeal. The coach was verbally blasting the ump for not ignoring the miss.

I'd like to get some opinions of what you would do in these 2 examples. Either call it as you see it or ignore it and go home.

#2 LMSANS

LMSANS

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ
  • Your Association Name :Shore Umpires Association

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

I can't even conceive of ignoring it. :wow:

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

#3 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationRiverside, California

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

I was working solo in a very competitive 13U tournament. The score was tied in the bottom of the 6th inning. There was still a little time left on the clock (these were all 1:45 games).

The home team had a runner on first with one out when the batter hit a gapper into left-center. The coach waved R1 around third in order to score the go ahead run. I saw the runner miss third and he eventually touched the plate. The defensive coach immediately had his players appeal the missed base and I called him out. The OC became unglued...he had a temper tantrum about the call, insisting that his player touched the base.

Would you have looked the other way and called him safe?

The next day I overheard a story about a kid hitting a grand slam HR in the bottom of the 7th to apparently win a game 4-3. The BU called the batter out for missing second after appeal. The coach was verbally blasting the ump for not ignoring the miss.

I'd like to get some opinions of what you would do in these 2 examples. Either call it as you see it or ignore it and go home.

No you call the out if it is appealed properly.
Do not inject yourself into the game.
Use your integrity at all times and never jeopardize it.

Suffered Back problem that required Surgery in Feb so well off my normal game count for the year.

But I am Happy, Happy, Happy.

#4 bam

bam
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Joined 16-April 12
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Not getting home plate on a walk-off while being mobbed by teammates, maybe. Missing bases otherwise have got to be called if seen.

#5 Dannytheman

Dannytheman
  • Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 21-June 12
  • LocationLos Angles, Peoples Republic of California

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have been in that position before. You call what you see. I tell the managers in preseason that, "missing the bases is probably the biggest thing 10-12 years olds do" that DC's never appeal.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! :meditation:

#6 OHUMP

OHUMP
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 25-February 11
  • LocationMaumee, OH

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

If you see it and properly appealed you must call what you see.

#7 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Preface: I know it was wrong, but......

This game had no outcome on the results of the season. HT up 456-0 in the top of the last inning. 2 outs on VT. A kid who rarely ever makes contact whatsoever takes one deep. HT properly appealed BR missed 2B. I know he missed it, but I don't want to be THAT guy when the game means squat and the VT is behind by at least 12. Score the run. B4 backwards Ks. Game over.

To the teams, the game didn't mean s**t.
To that player, it was the 1st time ever he went yard.

Flame away
2014 Game Count: 46
2014 Rainouts: 17
2014 DL misses : 13

#8 Dannytheman

Dannytheman
  • Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 21-June 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

This game had no outcome on the results of the season. HT up 456-0 in the top of the last inning. 2 outs on VT. A kid who rarely ever makes contact whatsoever takes one deep. HT properly appealed BR missed 2B. I know he missed it, but I don't want to be THAT guy when the game means squat and the VT is behind by at least 12. Score the run. B4 backwards Ks. Game over.

Flame away

Heros don't get flamed!!! I didn't see that one either!!!

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! :meditation:

#9 BRUMP

BRUMP
  • Members
  • 1,622 posts
  • Joined 12-July 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

IMO the minute we start seeing selectively is the minute we stop doing our jobs

"If you can't umpire hungover, you can't umpire." - American League Umpire Don Denkinger

#10 Dannytheman

Dannytheman
  • Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 21-June 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Stick around 30 years and see how you answer. When you watch a young kid struggle for 5 or 6 years, and he sticks with it, and finally makes a great play/hit/moment. You will remember that longer than anything else you ever do. Mine was Tristin Talbot. Trout probably knows the name of his too!!

#11 LMSANS

LMSANS

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ
  • Your Association Name :Shore Umpires Association

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

Flame away

Why not just don't do your job from the beginning? Why are you watching if you're not going to call what you see.

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

#12 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 5,558 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

See Danny? Told ya. I hope Scott reads this and learns by example how NOT to argue a dead horse back to life. It doesn't work. That being said, I am glad Justin got his trophy ball. ;)

#13 BRUMP

BRUMP
  • Members
  • 1,622 posts
  • Joined 12-July 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Stick around 30 years and see how you answer. When you watch a young kid struggle for 5 or 6 years, and he sticks with it, and finally makes a great play/hit/moment. You will remember that longer than anything else you ever do. Mine was Tristin Talbot. Trout probably knows the name of his too!!

Danny maybe its just me but If im spot on with regards to a rule than I dont mind being "THAT GUY"

"If you can't umpire hungover, you can't umpire." - American League Umpire Don Denkinger

#14 Dannytheman

Dannytheman
  • Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 21-June 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Danny maybe its just me but If im spot on with regards to a rule than I dont mind being "THAT GUY"

I hope I am alive when it happens to you. A nothing game where the young kid underdog/downtrodden/last guy always picked hits his first, maybe only, big one. You step right up there and take that home run away from him for missing a base. Go ahead. Sleep well my friend!

#15 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 5,558 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

This sitch is the 1% of the time I will ever disagree with that. Justin has a lifelong memory of his 1st longball, not the time he went yard and got called out. I remember him. If I had called him out, he would forever remember me, not his hit.

#16 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 5,558 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Sorry, not defending myself for not enforcing the rule. Just trying to possibly mentor a very young aspiring umpire on life lessons learned from baseball. Sports don't develop character, they reveal it.

#17 BRUMP

BRUMP
  • Members
  • 1,622 posts
  • Joined 12-July 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I hope I am alive when it happens to you. A nothing game where the young kid underdog/downtrodden/last guy always picked hits his first, maybe only, big one. You step right up there and take that home run away from him for missing a base. Go ahead. Sleep well my friend!

maybe its just an age/experience/me-being-a-pain-in-the-ass-teenager thing :shrug:

#18 BRUMP

BRUMP
  • Members
  • 1,622 posts
  • Joined 12-July 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sorry, not defending myself for not enforcing the rule. Just trying to possibly mentor a very young aspiring umpire on life lessons learned from baseball. Sports don't develop character, they reveal it.

completely agree with you trout on sports revealing character.....also feel free to give me tips such as these im the young ump here i get it and i appreciate the constructive criticism......i guess its a HTBT thing

#19 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 5,558 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Wait awhile. You'll see how many people blast me. It's not any of those things. It's that I called at this park and watched these boys grow up. I knew the real players, and who was just lineup filler. This kid played 2 more years at the park, and tries out for the school team now but never makes the cut. His baseball days are pretty much over, and that HR ball in the glove of his cheap plastic trophy is more than likely the first thing he remembers about his baseball career. It's the only one he ever hit. I would rather he have that positive memory than every time he sees me he remembers me calling him out. For the rest of his life. THAT'S the guy I don't want to be to him.

#20 BRUMP

BRUMP
  • Members
  • 1,622 posts
  • Joined 12-July 12

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Wait awhile. You'll see how many people blast me. It's not any of those things. It's that I called at this park and watched these boys grow up. I knew the real players, and who was just lineup filler. This kid played 2 more years at the park, and tries out for the school team now but never makes the cut. His baseball days are pretty much over, and that HR ball in the glove of his cheap plastic trophy is more than likely the first thing he remembers about his baseball career. It's the only one he ever hit. I would rather he have that positive memory than every time he sees me he remembers me calling him out. For the rest of his life. THAT'S the guy I don't want to be to him.

i can see your point only if it was not a close game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users