ukce1861

Premium Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Joined 09-January 10
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

So I had a tournament this weekend with several teams from South Florida and most of the players on those teams spoke spanish. One of the players and I had a small disagreement (in English) about the size of the strike zone as he walked back to the dugout on a called strike 3 for the third out. Our disagreement became a little more pronounced as he ran across the infield and screamed something at me in Spanish. At that point, I dumped him for arguing balls and strikes. No big deal, easy call, etc. However, I was curious if anyone had a list of EJ worthy spanish phrases.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 UmpJM

UmpJM
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Joined 08-December 08

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

If he addresses you as "cabron", dump him.

JM
"Finally, be courteous, impartial and firm, and so compel respect from all."

#3 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 9,845 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and Ump Nation

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

If they choose to say something to you in Spanish then EJ automatically. They are obviously hiding something they do not want you to hear/comprehend.

I have run into this before and when I reply back in Spanish they get all apologetic.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#4 umpire_scott

umpire_scott
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Joined 25-June 12
  • Your Association Name :Missouri High School Athletic Association

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

If they choose to say something to you in Spanish then EJ automatically. They are obviously hiding something they do not want you to hear/comprehend.

I have run into this before and when I reply back in Spanish they get all apologetic.

Except for the savvy Hispanic kid that tells you "that was a great call ump" in Spanish and then you run him for it.

2014 Game Count:

Junior College - 2

High School - 9

Tournament - 56

Total - 67

#5 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • 724 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I was working a tournament in the Netherlands a few years ago. Their umpires are not, as a whole, terribly strong and they typically shy away from confrontation for fear of losing assignments.

I'm the plate umpire. Ground ball to the infield that a bobble turns into a close play. U1 calls the BR out, I'm trailing up the line. U1 turns to walk away and the BR turns and says something in Dutch in a nasty tone of voice at U1. I ran him.

The coach came out and asked me if I knew what the player said. "Nope, didn't need to either." The coach was incredulous that I'd eject a kid when not understanding what was said. I shrugged my shoulders. After the game one of the players told me what the kid said -- it was quite vulgar. Had I known, I probably would've dislocated my shoulder when ejecting him. :D

#6 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 9,845 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Except for the savvy Hispanic kid that tells you "that was a great call ump" in Spanish and then you run him for it.

Not likely to happen. But your right. A warning should come first.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#7 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,142 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

I had one of the 3 million AAU 13 National Championship tourneys a few years ago and Puerto Rico was playing NC.

The game was highly contentious mainly on the part of PR. NC was giving them the best fight they had the whole tournament. So naturally that means it is time to start yelling at the umpires. One coach came to the edge of the dugout and was screaming at me in Spanish at the top of his lungs I felt like I was Lucy getting hollered at by Ricky.

I yelled over, "if your're going to say something say it in English." That put an end to it for the most part other than a snipe every once in a while.

This game had 2 protests (they were handled instantly by the TD) my calls were upheld both times.
  • Lefty batter bunts and trips on the lip of the cutout in foul territory as he's getting up (still in foul territory) the ball hits him in the head. I called foul ball. PR wanted an out.
  • NC hit a Grand Slam. The players from the bench lined up the 3rd base line giving low 5s. PR wanted an out for some reason.
PR still won the game.

Warren

#8 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Madre or Punta will get you tossed.
Posted Image

#9 Dannytheman

Dannytheman
  • Members
  • 1,047 posts
  • Joined 21-June 12
  • LocationLos Angles, Peoples Republic of California

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I have never umpired a game with any other language. I guess I would bring an interpreter. Not many ball players speak Gailec now a days.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! :meditation:

#10 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 9,845 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

It's Puta

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#11 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

It's Puta

unless you're talking about Punta Cana. It could be Punta. Lol
2014 Game Count: 120
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

#12 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Ok, I have now proven I can't spell in two languages. :)
Posted Image

#13 carolinablue

carolinablue
  • Members
  • 1,482 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

I only know one Spanish word so if they say something to me in Spanish, the only thing I can say is " adios".

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't-you're right. ~Henry Ford

#14 okump96

okump96
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Joined 07-April 08

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

I used to work the spanish version of MSBL in Tulsa, OK and because I have that spanish look to me, I was getting asked all the time if I could speak spanish. My reply was I know enough to tell when I'm being cussed. Was only cussed at one time by a spectator and the players took care of it before I had a chance.
thanks,
thomas

#15 umpcoachfather

umpcoachfather
  • Members
  • 503 posts
  • Joined 20-April 12
  • LocationDirty Jersey

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

I had a Spanish Gentleman call me the "n" word word during a game. I ran him, the whole team went nuts, they made all kinds of excuses for it being ok to use that word.

#16 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

I had a Spanish Gentleman call me the "n" word word during a game. I ran him, the whole team went nuts, they made all kinds of excuses for it being ok to use that word.

excuse my ignorance.... The "N" word? You ran a guy for calling you a nincompoop?

#17 JHSump

JHSump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11
  • LocationBlacksburg, Virginia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I don't have a story about ejecting someone for using Spanish on me, but this thread reminds me of the following.

A few weeks ago I did a showcase "game" for HS players from a program based in south Florida. They were touring colleges in the southeast and being watched by college scouts. I was PU. The game meant nothing, other than being a showcase. The "rules" were a bit peculiar. Nine innings, 7 batters per half-inning, the number of outs was always 1, so the defense could be seen turning double plays, if possible. After 6 batters, one of the coaches would yell out "last batter." Other than that, I was expected to call balls and strikes as normal, etc., etc.

There were maybe half a dozen spectators. At least three were college coaches (the field was at a D1 university). No parents, or other crazies, of course.

Every one of the players was Hispanic.

Now, I know the game itself meant nothing, and the players were on their best behavior since they were being watched. But, nevertheless, this was the most fun I ever had umpiring a game, even if it was just a "practice." The play was at a very high level for HS players. The players interacted well with each other (the two "teams" traveled together on this tour), and with me. The catchers made a point of introducing themselves to me. Even though the scouts could not possibly have heard all we said, the catcher's conversed with me throughout the game telling me about their trip, asking me about my history, etc. I asked one catcher if he liked his All-Star mask, and that got us into a conversation about equipment. I even hefted his mask before warmup pitches, one inning.

Every three innings the catcher's changed. Every inning the pitchers changed.

Only two times did anyone speak Spanish. Once a catcher said, "Muy bueno," to a pitcher after a pitch. Another time, a catcher and a batter exchanged two sentences during an at bat. Didn't seem too exciting, whatever it was they said.

After the game, many players shook my hand on the field, and I wished them all luck. I was taking off my equipment back at my car, and their bus was nearby. A few other players came over and shook my hand, one said he umpires LL back home. None of these "back at the bus" exchanges were witnessed by scouts, so they seemed genuine.

I certainly had no opportunity to EJ anyone for anything said in English...or Spanish! This has been my only experience umpiring with players that spoke another language during the game.

#18 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

I call mexican men's league games. It's hilarious. They chatter and jabber away at each other THE WHOLE GAME. I heard 1 catcher tell the batter something about his uniform makes him look gay as I rang him up. Too funny. I speak bro/ken texmex and understand very little but what I do get is hilarious.

#19 umpcoachfather

umpcoachfather
  • Members
  • 503 posts
  • Joined 20-April 12
  • LocationDirty Jersey

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

la mismo miedra differente dia. or however you spell it all.

#20 JHSump

JHSump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11
  • LocationBlacksburg, Virginia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

I call mexican men's league games. It's hilarious. They chatter and jabber away at each other THE WHOLE GAME. I heard 1 catcher tell the batter something about his uniform makes him look gay as I rang him up. Too funny. I speak bro/ken texmex and understand very little but what I do get is hilarious.

Hmm...maybe this constant talking and jabbering is a cultural thing. That may also explain why the catchers kept up a constant --- pleasant --- conversation with me. They were also talking to the batters.

I don't see/hear that during gringo games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users