mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

I got asked to work a 10 yr old allstar game 30 miles from home. I was working nearby but had to go home to gear my gear and uniforms. I was headed back to the game site, running late. I was going through a backroad path instead of the highway. About halfway there I am came into a small town, that's one stopsign. Coming into town it breaks down from 50 to 30, which I failed to do. Two DNR officers were running radar. DNR? WTH? $90.00 later I'm on my way. I pull up to the gamesite 10 minutes before gametime and see my brother. I asked where, what time and age group. What I didn't ask was who was playing. Turns out it was a team with my nephew, my boss' son, two co-workers' sons and a previous employee's son.
Posted Image

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 JHSump

JHSump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11
  • LocationBlacksburg, Virginia

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

...and then you woke up! Pfew! Isn't it a great feeling after a nightmare to realize it was all just a dream?

Or, did the nightmare continue?

#3 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Nope it continued, I had to give the ticket to SWMBO. Not pretty.
Posted Image

#4 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

General Joykiller

• Premium Members
  • 9,665 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

I also received a ticket headed to a game. This was back in 1997.

Lots of rain that day running late. Got a ticket. Got to the game site. Game canceled!

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 40

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          45

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#5 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

I also received a ticket headed to a game. This was back in 1997.

Lots of rain that day running late. Got a ticket. Got to the game site. Game canceled!

That will make seriously unhappy.
Almost ten years ago I was taking my son to do a material takeoff for his Eagle scout project. I get a block from my house and a lady in the left lane decided to make a right turn, unfortunately into my truck. I slid into the intersection she was trying to turn into. She bounced off me but didn't let off the accelerator. She went over the curb, through a fence and over a parking bumper. She then did a 180, came back through everything, crossed the street and finally stopped halfway down an apartment building. She then took off again. I was going to chase her when I saw two police cars parked right there and saw it all. One came to me, the other cut her off. Turns out she was taking her twin boys to the Pony league around the corner. Turns out the game had been cancelled so she did all that for nothing.
Posted Image

#6 Called3rdStrike

Called3rdStrike
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 04-June 12
  • LocationFlorida Panhandle
  • Your Association Name :FHSAA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Did three games on a saturday recently, 40 a game. Got a ticket not even a mile from the park. Officer asked why I was going so fast, said" I'm not from around here, trying to get home and shower, I just got done volunteering at the baseball park. -.-

#7 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 6,481 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Did three games on a saturday recently, 40 a game. Got a ticket not even a mile from the park. Officer asked why I was going so fast, said" I'm not from around here, trying to get home and shower, I just got done volunteering at the baseball park. -.-

I volunteered 9 innings today for $130. Lol.
2014 Game Count: 120
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

#8 umpire_scott

umpire_scott
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Joined 25-June 12
  • Your Association Name :Missouri High School Athletic Association

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

I was on my way to a FP tournament about 3 years ago. The road I was traveling was state route that was generally a trucker route because no one lived that far west. Well development had now reached the area so it was used more and more. In the 10 or so mile stretch that I drove on it there were were about 3 stop lights for cross traffic. One of them was at an intersection that also had a RR crossing. I was driving south and there had been no stop lights at intersections for about 5 miles. I'm driving along and come up to the intersection with the stoplight and RR crossing. Well the stop light is not working at all. It's not even on. As you are coming up to it the RR crossing stuff blocks your view of even realizing there is a stoplight. The cars in front of me are driving through the intersection just as they had the previous 5 with no stoplights. All of a sudden a car that is attempting to cross the state route from west side pulls out in front of me. I slam on the breaks and veer left to avoid the car. I'm successful in doing so, but slide into a car that was waiting to turn left. The bad news, I had to call my UIC and tell them I was not going to be able to get to the field to do my games. The good news: The cop couldn't figure out whether I had done anything wrong so I did not get a ticket.

2014 Game Count:

Junior College - 2

High School - 9

Tournament - 56

Total - 67

#9 zebra2955

zebra2955
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 29-April 09
  • LocationFrankfort Il

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

July 3rd this year, Game ends 11:00am, 11:05 am get rear-ended by a Silverado and pushed into Explorer, I am driving a Kia Spectra, car is totalled. got to buy a car. The most expensive game I have ever done.
Without officilas it's only recess

Youth sports is not for the youth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users