today in baseball history

Jocko
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3925 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I would enjoy this topic, and interested to see what others have to say. For instance, July 5 1998-Roger Clemens records career K 3000. I think today is the anniversary of Ted Williams death.

Todayinbaseballhistory.com I go there everyday to see what has happened. Good place to gather trivia. Might be cool on U-E to have a blurb in the header like you did with the statue of liberty for the 4th.

I would want to find something with a feed that I can have it done automatically vs manually everyday.

First post using Tapatalk...

Warren do it a favor an send me a PM using Tapatalk just to see if it crashes on you.

I would want to find something with a feed that I can have it done automatically vs manually everyday.

First post using Tapatalk...

Warren do it a favor an send me a PM using Tapatalk just to see if it crashes on you.

Sent you a PM no problems on my end let me know if you get it.

1914 - George Herman "Babe" Ruth makes his MLB debut recording a win as LHP ffor the Red Sox.

1985 - Nolan Ryan get K #4000, the 1st pitcher ever to reach this benchmark.

1961 - In the first of two All-Star games played that season, the NL beats the American League, 5-4, on a very windy day at Candlestick Park. The contest features a record seven errors and the memorable sight of a 165-pound pitcher Stu Miller balking after being blown off the mound by a gust of wind, a fact the right-hander says has been exaggerated over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

1910 - Cy Young registered his 500th career victory as the Cleveland Indians beat the Washington Senators 5-4 in eleven-innings.

1933 - Rick Ferrell of the Boston Red Sox hit a home run off brother Wes, pitching for the Cleveland Indians. Wes also homered in that game, marking the only time the two connected in the same contest.

• 2 weeks later...

1971 - Harmon Killebrew of the Minnesota Twins hit his 500th home run in the first inning off Baltimore's Mike Cuellar to become the 10th player to hit 500 or more in a career.

1929 - At League Park, Babe Ruth hits home run number 500 off Willis Hudlin of Cleveland.

1950 - Hitting just .279, Yankee great Joe DiMaggio is benched for the first time in his career. He is currently languishing in a 4-for-38 slump.

1987 - The Cardinals outfield sets a major league record by failing to record a single putout in a 4-2, 13-inning win over the Phillies. The 1905 St. Louis Browns, who played an 11-inning game with no outfield putouts, held the previous mark.

And ....

Mickey Mantle passes: