Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,343 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Ok ...
a bit ago I remember someone mentioning a spray mixture used to keep your caps fresh and not smelly, etc....and I can't find it!! :shakehead:

It's not Febreze, or Lysol,...I want to say it has something to do with camping gear ?? It's a mixture with water .....

Anyone??

Thanks

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Febreeze has always worked for me. Between that and throwing the hat in the washing machine on occasion, I've had no issues keeping them smelling fine.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#3 sdix00

sdix00
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Joined 11-November 10
  • LocationMoreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

From the FSB of course -
CAP FRESH SOLUTION (a very small amount of Febreze with water)

"Good call Blue!!"

shut_up_baby_futurama.gif

#4 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Fold a fabric softener sheet and place it behind the sweatband where it doesn't touch your skin. Been doing it for years. I wash occasionally in a cap cage thing (whatever it's called) in the dishwasher. Keeps its shape, doesn't mess up the bill, and gets it clean.
2014 Game Count: 120
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

#5 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,343 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

Febreeze has always worked for me. Between that and throwing the hat in the washing machine on occasion, I've had no issues keeping them smelling fine.

When you throw in the washer, ...you just throw in the caps right ? and let them air dry?

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#6 LMSANS

LMSANS

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,907 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ
  • Your Association Name :Shore Umpires Association

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

I wash mine with the laundry, let them air dry & put a bag clip on them for the crease, air dry. I read about that a few weeks back (on U-E of course) and started doing it. leaves a nice crown.

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

#7 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 6,505 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

I refuse to crease my hats. I'm no longer in the military wearing a cover.

#8 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

When you throw in the washer, ...you just throw in the caps right ? and let them air dry?

Yes just threw in the washer and then put it in a cap caddy to air dry properly. I was leery of this but figured I'd try it and it worked great. Note I have a front loading washer so no agitator to potentially damage the cap. I'm not sure I'd try it with a top loading one.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#9 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 6,505 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

sorry to hijack.... Welpe, where ya from in Houston?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users