#41 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Just got my schedule for this weekend. 4 games Saturday and 3 Sunday. 13U tourney site within 20 miles of the house. Suh-weet!

That is what I have as well - 4 saturday, 3 sunday. Mine is 8U on Saturday and either 8U or 14U on Sunday... I believe that someone will be evaluating me Saturday to judge whether I am good enough to do the 14U ball.

I really don't understand this thinking. The older the players, the better the ball, usually. 14Us you can generally expect routine plays. They do what theyre supposed to do. It's the little guys that are unpredictable and keep you hopping. In my experience, HSV is easier to call than 9U. Players play, coaches coach, and umpires ump. The young groups have REE-TARDS for coaches. They don't know the rules, or if they do, they misapply them. Less arguments, less chirping, less horses**t, more quality ball.

When I say "good", I think they are more judging game management, maturity, and whether they think I can handle umpiring kids who are only 3 years younger than me... Not so much rules and mechanics, because I agree with you - it is harder for 9U then it is MLB!

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: From Football to Fall Ball and everything in between
2014 Games: 108
Career Games: 305
Career Championship Games: 13 (6 League; 7 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 8 (5 coach; 3 player)

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#42 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

I've never called MLB, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once :cheers:
2014 Game Count: 120
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

#43 MUAump2

MUAump2
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Joined 16-June 11
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :MUA, JCOA, GPBA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

Here in STL, most of the travel ball tournaments pay $35/game with a 1hr 40min time limit, and mercy rules that apply for each inning. I work almost every weekend, but normally only 6-8 games...I know some guys who work 3 Friday, 7 Saturday and 7 Sunday,..it's a decent chunk of change, but DAMN, that's a lot of baseball. Too much for me, and I LOVE the game.
"Whether you can or you can't, you're right."

#44 Called3rdStrike

Called3rdStrike
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 04-June 12
  • LocationFlorida Panhandle
  • Your Association Name :FHSAA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:49 AM

Who did you hook up with where you're driving an hour to umpire a tourney?

Thunder, I have crossed multiple state lines to get to tournaments. I will be driving from Birmingham, Al. to Panama City Beach, Fl. next month to do a week of the Grand Slam World Series (grandslamtournaments.com). Gotta go where the games are. Last year I went to Louisiana. TWICE!

I think we might have been at the same tourney a time or two Trout. I was invited to PC for the next 4 weeks to do all their World Series tournaments, but the Alabama USSSA world series is rit accross the state line which is much closer for me so I opted to do those instead.

#45 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

Who did you hook up with where you're driving an hour to umpire a tourney?

Thunder, I have crossed multiple state lines to get to tournaments. I will be driving from Birmingham, Al. to Panama City Beach, Fl. next month to do a week of the Grand Slam World Series (grandslamtournaments.com). Gotta go where the games are. Last year I went to Louisiana. TWICE!

I think we might have been at the same tourney a time or two Trout. I was invited to PC for the next 4 weeks to do all their World Series tournaments, but the Alabama USSSA world series is rit accross the state line which is much closer for me so I opted to do those instead.

Good possibility we have met. I did the Utrip WS in Orange Beach a couple years ago. 2 weeks (8 days of games) about 25 games. It was alot of fun and an experience I'm glad I had, but wouldn't do it again. I skipped it last year. Went on Vacation. Lots of great people. Lots of great baseball. I may or may not be going to PC. Think I'm gonna save my vacation for camp in October.
2014 Game Count: 120
2014 Rainouts: 22
2014 DL misses : 13

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users