#1 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

I've worn the titanium mask now for quite a while -- I had the low profile on for at least a year, sold that in Europe, and bought a regular profile one.

Yesterday on the second last pitch of the game I took a pretty wicked foul ball that bent a bar and has given me a stiff jaw last night and a minor headache this morning.

So, I need to order a mask *today*. I'm working a plate on Saturday and would like to have it by then.

Suggestions? Just order another titanium? Or is there something new out there I should consider?

For me, the top things on the list are: (1) Vision, (2) Lightweight, (3) Good protection -- not necessarily in that order.

Any quick suggestions would be appreciated. Someone has already suggested the All Star System 7 mask. Someone else suggested a helmet -- I'm loathe to try that again.

Attached Files

#2 boyinr

boyinr
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Joined 29-March 10

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

I would recommend a Honigs K4 single bar frame with the Team Wendy's pads.
"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

#3 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

If I had all my gear stolen, and had to buy a mask right away, I'd order from ump-attire.com, and get the black Diamond frame, Team Wendy black pads, Wilson harness, sunshade, and 4" throat protector. Light, superior protection, and good looks. The throat protector is a variable, as some folks don't need it, and others need a longer one.

#4 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

UmpNation Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 8,078 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Can't go wrong with the Diamond Frame and Team Wendys!

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 38

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          22

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#5 slo8140

slo8140
  • Premium Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09
  • LocationTyler, TX

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

There are lots of frame choices out there, but the one thing I would make sure I did was buy the team Wendy pads. I don't wear a standard mask often, but I make sure I have the team Wendy pads on when I do.

#6 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

UmpNation Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 8,078 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

There are lots of frame choices out there, but the one thing I would make sure I did was buy the team Wendy pads.

Posted Image
I don't wear a standard mask often, but I make sure I have the team Wendy pads on when I do.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 38

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          22

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#7 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 7,454 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

There are lots of frame choices out there, but the one thing I would make sure I did was buy the team Wendy pads.

Posted Image
I don't wear a standard mask often, but I make sure I have the team Wendy pads on when I do.

That's where I was thinking ................" where have I heard that before?"

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#8 GerryB

GerryB
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 15-May 11
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Honig's with Team Wendy's, but I think they are back ordered; after last night's game, that's what my mask looks like too.

#9 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

I think I have a mild concussion. Combine that with my possibly broken thumb from 2 weeks ago, and it's not been a great May.

I ordered the All Star System 7 with the Team Wendy's pads. I used the 10% discount at Ump Attire I got by joining as a premium member here.

#10 justwin

justwin
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 31-May 11

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

the diamond mask is one of the best. the pads are not that great for ball above 10 year olds. if u want to have a maks last u 5-10years with no prob and dont mind a bit extra weight......then its simple honigs single bar with wendy pads. best quality..good price 75bucks. wilson titanium mask is scary. i have been reading about many many masks denting easily, and for 200 bucks and with the masking weighing 20 ounces that is not good at all.

#11 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

the diamond mask is one of the best. the pads are not that great for ball above 10 year olds. if u want to have a maks last u 5-10years with no prob and dont mind a bit extra weight......then its simple honigs single bar with wendy pads. best quality..good price 75bucks. wilson titanium mask is scary. i have been reading about many many masks denting easily, and for 200 bucks and with the masking weighing 20 ounces that is not good at all.

The mask did its job. It spun up off my head and if I have a mild concussion, it's better than it would've been with a lesser mask.

I am not willing to deal with extra weight. I had no qualms whatsoever paying another $200 for another Wilson, but it appears the All Star (and the Diamond for that matter) are just as light. I'll try it out. If I don't like it, I'll return it and order something else.

#12 MPLSMatt

MPLSMatt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Joined 21-May 10

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

If you think you have a mild concussion you should check with an MD before getting behind the dish on Saturday. Repeat concsussions are nothing to screw around with. Hell, if you don't want to lose the game, maybe your partner will switch. Give it some time even if it's minor.

#13 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

If you think you have a mild concussion you should check with an MD before getting behind the dish on Saturday. Repeat concsussions are nothing to screw around with. Hell, if you don't want to lose the game, maybe your partner will switch. Give it some time even if it's minor.

I'm feeling 100% today. And I would have no problems giving back a few games -- I've worked 55 games since March 31.

#14 Fittske24

Fittske24

Resident Gear Pimp

• Members
  • 962 posts
  • Joined 11-December 09

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

If you cant get your hands on a Nike titanium, then I'd be tempted to try one of these:
Posted Image
Posted Image

$64.00 at baseball savings.com

#15 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

Why?

#16 Fittske24

Fittske24

Resident Gear Pimp

• Members
  • 962 posts
  • Joined 11-December 09

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Why?

Because I'm a gear whore.....

#17 Chris Hickman

Chris Hickman
  • Members
  • 348 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

Why?

Because I'm a gear whore.....

And you know it!!!!

#18 MidAmUmp

MidAmUmp
  • Partners
  • 662 posts
  • Joined 04-May 09
  • LocationAurora, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, SCUA, MAU

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

If I had all my gear stolen, and had to buy a mask right away, I'd order from ump-attire.com, and get the black Diamond frame, Team Wendy black pads, Wilson harness, sunshade, and 4" throat protector. Light, superior protection, and good looks. The throat protector is a variable, as some folks don't need it, and others need a longer one.

Why a sunshade? I've never understood umpires wearing one. I would think the bill of your cap would block any benefit. I've never worn one, so I don't know. I've just always thrown on a pair of sunglasses if necessary. Of couse, I'm sure there's some "Little Hitlers" out there who will not let their members wear sunglasses on the plate...
Mid-American Umpire Clinic
www.midamericanumpireclinic.com

#19 KLAH316

KLAH316
  • Members
  • 935 posts
  • Joined 21-June 11
  • LocationChandler, AZ
  • Your Association Name :I am an independent contractor.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Of couse, I'm sure there's some "Little Hitlers" out there who will not let their members wear sunglasses on the plate...

No sunglasses at the plate = No me at the plate!!

2014 Game Count: 68

2014 Ejections: 3  (1-MC)
2013 Game Count: 171 

Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical. - Yogi Berra

#20 rth54

rth54
  • Inactive
  • 397 posts
  • Joined 29-November 09
  • LocationVentura County, California

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:56 PM