#1 sdix00

sdix00
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  • Joined 11-November 10
  • LocationMoreno Valley, CA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Closing out my 2nd year of umpiring HS ball, I finished my first HS playoff game yesterday.

This was actually my first 3-man game as well. I have been studying 3-man religiously for the past year. (CCA, NFHS, Virtual Umpire Camp CD, and the soon-to-be-published Wendelstedt 3-man manual)

I felt I knew it well enough, but I was still a little nervous until it came time to pre-game. Turns out I knew it better than my partners despite the fact that they had several years of 3-man games under their belts. I asked good questions and we worked out some confusion with one of the rotations.

Interesting side note - this game was played on 100% artificial turf. Permanently painted perfect lines, green turf outfield, brown turf infield with those black rubber pellets. The players constantly overslid because the turf was so soft and resilient. No dust/dirt so the close plays were really easy to see and my shoes stayed shiny for the whole game. Pretty cool.

I was U3. Game went really smoothly.

I felt the 3-man system allowed me to get closer on tag plays. I was able to stick my nose into three bangers and see them much better.

R1, Base hit. I let the ball and R1 take me to 3rd, expecting to get called off by PU on a 1st-to-3rd rotation, but PU missed it so I just kept going and got right on TOP of the play and had no second thoughts about whose call it was.

I NAILED 3 balks, both partners echoed them all, and I was moving the runners before the DC even knew what was happening. I think he stayed in the dugout because it all happened so fast, like a well-oiled machine that the Coach wouldn't dare touch.

Post game was all positive. PU/CC was impressed and told me to expect a call for the next round.

Sigh

#2 Mike Prince

Mike Prince

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 04-November 09
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Excellent. Congrats!

#3 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,125 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Good for you!

Warren

#4 grayhawk

grayhawk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Congrats Stephen! As I was reading your R1 scenario, I was thinking "Why is he letting the ball and runner take him to third, that's PU's call" right up until you said PU missed the rotation. I'm not at all surprised that you knew the mechanics better than your partners. Well done, sir!

2014 Game Count:  High School: 46 | AAU: 0 | Pony: 0 | Little League: 2 | UCLA: 2 | Total: 50

2013 Game Count:  High School: 43 | USSSA: 7 | AAU: 30 | Pony: 11Little League: 17 | UCLA: 1Total: 109

#5 3rdGENump

3rdGENump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined 02-May 12
  • LocationNebraska
  • Your Association Name :ASA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Sounds like a great experience! Congrats

#6 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

General Joykiller

• Premium Members
  • 9,607 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Good Job! I'm not surprised you knew the mechanics better. Good discipline.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 40

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          45

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#7 Fittske24

Fittske24

Resident Gear Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Joined 11-December 09

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Congrats! Keep up the good work!

#8 Jeff C.

Jeff C.
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Joined 25-July 08

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

I just got a call from our association's co-ordinator that I am a replacement tomorrow for a fellow brother. It's a district and I'm working with two excellent umpires. I'm nervous, excited, elated and anything else you can think of.
JC

#9 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,007 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

I just got a call from our association's co-ordinator that I am a replacement tomorrow for a fellow brother. It's a district and I'm working with two excellent umpires. I'm nervous, excited, elated and anything else you can think of.

CONGRATS! Go get 'em Jeff! :clap:

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#10 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Congrats Stephen, that is quite an accomplishment, especially on only your second year of umpiring HS ball. It clearly speaks to the quality of your work and it is good that you have a unit that not only recognizes that quality but also doesn't hold you to an artificial time table like so many areas seem to.

So how did you get your hands on a pre-release of the Wendelstedt 3 umpire manual? :)

Also those artificial turf fields are nice until it gets to 100 degrees, then they become unbearable. Last football season I was hearing regular stories about the field temperatures reaching into the 130s.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#11 SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Joined 18-June 08
  • LocationLakeside, CA
  • Your Association Name :S.D. Elite Umpires 2009 to present ---San Diego Blues 2006 --- San Diego County Baseball Umpires Association 1986 - 2006

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

Congratulations Stephen! You are ahead of the curve. I didn't get my first playoff game until my 3rd full varsity year (1989).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users