6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy_UEFL

Jeremy_UEFL
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 29-February 12

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

So I'm working the youngest game I would work. Pony League, so OBR (with slight modifications). Mustang....B Division. 5 run max rule 1st 3 innings...and in Pony League I beleive they have the option to use pitching machines for Mustang, but here we use the kids to pitch. B division gets ugly....better have a huge zone. Anyways, it is already 12-0 HT in the bottom of the 3rd inning (got to play 3 1/2 innings though for mercy rule of 10), VT had only gotten two runners on and had not got one out against the HT in the prior two innings (got 5 run maxed). Had VT twice before, didn't score either time. HT Head Coach was complaining the one time the VT got runners on that they were leaving the base before the ball was crossing the plate when up by 10 -_- and telling my base guy and me how to properly watch for this because he "use to umpire". I just give him the "really?!" look.

R2 and R1. Batter hits a ball into the outfield that falls. R2 comes around clearly missing 3rd base by a foot + and comes in touches home. R1 comes around scores....B1 gets to 3rd after about 5 errors in the field ;).

Pitcher and catcher get ready for the next batter, but the little catcher aks me "doesn't that runner have to touch the base?" So, knowing the situation of the game, I tell the catcher "go talk to your pitcher and tell him to point to the 3rd basemen and throw the ball to him on the base." So he goes out to his pitcher, with their oblivious coaches just sitting there that shout at the catcher, "why are you talking to him (the pitcher)?" Catcher yells "The umpire told me to tell (pitcher's name) to throw to 3rd base." Oh man...I immediately blush up ha. Pitcher still steps off throws to third, and i call out on the appeal....Nothing said from HT Coach. VT goes down 1-2-3 in the 4th for the mercy.

#2 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationSalina, Utah
  • Your Association Name :USSSA, Babe Ruth, CalRipkin, Little League, High School, UHSFOA, UHSAA, CUA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Regardless of the situation of the game, you just got caught coaching and injected yourself into the game.
Never point out missed bases or explain how to perform an appeal properly.
You must remain impartial at all times regardless of score or anything else.

Moved to Salina, Utah.  Time for some fishing and hunting.

#3 umpcoachfather

umpcoachfather
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Joined 20-April 12
  • LocationDirty Jersey

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

at the level you were doing, you were fine. they are not playing baseball anyway.

#4 AJtheUMP

AJtheUMP
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 19-January 12
  • LocationSimms, TX
  • Your Association Name :Me

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

I would have said "yes he does" but I would have to let the coach give instructions. If he doesn't know then they get no appeal, period. No one can complain if I DONT coach the players... but if you do it may lead to an EJ that you brought about. You have to be very careful with this.
“Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball.”

“You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it.”

#5 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,569 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Closest I've come to coaching is in a Coach Pitch game...

Offensive Manager calls time... Tells his batter, "Bring your bat up!"... He looks at his coach like he's got Dumbo ears... He guessed and moved forward in the box... "No, you're bat!"... It goes on like this for almost a full minute until I reach over, take the barrell of the bat and move it up off his shoulder.

"Yeah, like that!!"

And then at about that age level if I get really sick of them throwing the ball past the pitcher and it gets to me, I'll occasionally (it's rare) stop the ball with my foot, pick it up and actually throw it right to the pitchers chest.

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: From Football to Fall Ball and everything in between
2014 Games: 108
Career Games: 305
Career Championship Games: 13 (6 League; 7 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 8 (5 coach; 3 player)

#6 Jeremy_UEFL

Jeremy_UEFL
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 29-February 12

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Regardless of the situation of the game, you just got caught coaching and injected yourself into the game.
Never point out missed bases or explain how to perform an appeal properly.
You must remain impartial at all times regardless of score or anything else.

Good point and that is fair enough. And I agree, however I didn't point on the missed base, I did tell them how to appeal. That is true and it is coaching. But we are talking about 9 year olds in a blow out, in a game a coach is complaining about runners leading off. You have to umpire the level. We aren't talking about an older level, higher play. These kids can't even get fly out or force out. Talking about kids that can barely get off the plate. But if we are going to use this very strict standard I should have called the kids out for leaving their bases early and being strictly impartial I should never open the strike zone, ever, in any game, regardless of score. I think ultimately though it is knowing your audicence. I was attuned to the situation. Realize what is going on. I don't think this was an impartial move on my part, but a fair move. Just like opening up the strike zone. You umpire the play in front of you.

But I appreciate the words. I'll keep this in mind because that is our job: to be impartial. And you never know the sh*t storm you can create, which ultimately comes back on me if something happens in result of it.

at the level you were doing, you were fine. they are not playing baseball anyway.

EXACTLY. These kids shouldn't een be pitching anyways. This really should be a pitching machine league.

I would have said "yes he does" but I would have to let the coach give instructions. If he doesn't know then they get no appeal, period. No one can complain if I DONT coach the players... but if you do it may lead to an EJ that you brought about. You have to be very careful with this.

True. It could lead to that. Especially if a coach is willing to complain about trivial things, you never know what it may start.

Closest I've come to coaching is in a Coach Pitch game...

Offensive Manager calls time... Tells his batter, "Bring your bat up!"... He looks at his coach like he's got Dumbo ears... He guessed and moved forward in the box... "No, you're bat!"... It goes on like this for almost a full minute until I reach over, take the barrell of the bat and move it up off his shoulder.

"Yeah, like that!!"

And then at about that age level if I get really sick of them throwing the ball past the pitcher and it gets to me, I'll occasionally (it's rare) stop the ball with my foot, pick it up and actually throw it right to the pitchers chest.

Great story!

#7 ring-em-up12

ring-em-up12
  • Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 20-May 12
  • LocationBirmingham, AL
  • Your Association Name :GSU, AHSAA, AUA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

If they are 9 they should be pitching in my opinion, but at this age as a umpire, no you dont want to "coach," but often times the coaches don't know the rules of baseball. I don't know the level of play with y'all's 9u teams for park ball is, but where I'm from a lot of the park league teams I come across can't play at the age of 14. To keep the game moving and to develop the kids knowledge of the game I think it's good to insert yourself in these situations. Don't coach on basic fundamentals but inform them of proper ways to handle these kinds of situations. Look at it this way: now when that kid comes across that situation in the future he will know how to handle it. I think you handled it very well. Way to help grow the game and develop that kids knowledge of the rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users