dmdhiker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined 19-April 12
  • LocationNW burbs Chicago
  • Your Association Name :FVB and UMPS

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

High school sophomore game. VT tie the game in TOP of the 7th. HT at bat. One out, first and third, pulled in infield, grounder to F5, I call R3 out on sliding tag. Good position, got him tagged out on the letters before foot sled in. Two out, first and third again, blooper down 1B line about 75 feet beyond 1st. F4 and F9 converged on the ball which drops between them. Stayed home to see if ball was fair or foul. I called fair, for a walk off win, but am wondering in this situation should I have gone out to get a closer look at the fair/foul call. With two outs, what happens if the ball lands fair, doesn't matter, game over. I think I should have gone out. It was tough to see from 150 ft. away. Where would you go to make this fair/foul call?

#2 carolinablue

carolinablue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

I don't do any one man ( not because I wouldn't but because I am fortunate enough to work in an area that provides two umpires) but FWIW I think I would be thinking like you stated. Fair/foul is a TOP priority and if the ball lands, with two outs R3 should be 3/4 of the way home by then. Game over. Be prepared for a desperate throw home anyway, and the touch of HP.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't-you're right. ~Henry Ford

#3 love2ump

love2ump
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 16-October 11

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Fair/Foul is always first priority go as far as play will allow then glance back at runner.

#4 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationSalina, Utah
  • Your Association Name :USSSA, Babe Ruth, CalRipkin, Little League, High School

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

In this situation Fair/Foul, Catch/No Catch is the only thing you really need to be worried about and need to have total priority.
Nothing can happen on a Foul.
Nothing can happen on a catch.
A close Fair, Uncaught Ball will end the game as R3 better be standing on the plate at that time anyway.

Moved to Salina, Utah.  Time for some fishing and hunting.

#5 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,639 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Always make the ball your first priority when working 1 man.

Your secondary responsibilities include touches.
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#6 dmdhiker

dmdhiker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined 19-April 12
  • LocationNW burbs Chicago
  • Your Association Name :FVB and UMPS

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Thanks everyone, learn something new here almost daily. I wish I knew if I got the call right but I made a quick exit and didn't look back. :wave:

#7 grayhawk

grayhawk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone, learn something new here almost daily. I wish I knew if I got the call right but I made a quick exit and didn't look back. :wave:

GREAT mechanic!

2014 Game Count:  High School: 43 | AAU: 0 | Pony: 0 | Little League: 2 | UCLA: 2 | Total: 47

2013 Game Count:  High School: 43 | USSSA: 7 | AAU: 30 | Pony: 11Little League: 17 | UCLA: 1Total: 109

#8 JamesC

JamesC
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09
  • LocationMonroe, LA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

While fair/foul is number one priority, you still need to see the touch. I would have stayed home and called it the best I could. If there had been any complaint, tell them you will be more than happy to work a two man crew next time.

I don't do any games solo, but this situation would apply with a two man as well, as U1 would be in and not on the line. You should take this play from 1BE.

Just my .2¢

#9 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,639 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

I can see that point, but touches are always secondary to seeing the initial play correctly.

Sometimes you sacrifice the touch for a better angle. There are times w/ two out and R3, I will completely ignore R3's touch of home plate because getting an angle for that potential banger at 1B is a far bigger 1 man priority.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just another perspective.
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#10 SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Joined 18-June 08
  • LocationLakeside, CA
  • Your Association Name :S.D. Elite Umpires 2009 to present ---San Diego Blues 2006 --- San Diego County Baseball Umpires Association 1986 - 2006

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

This is just about the only scenario I can envision in which I would advocate coming up the line and getting a little better look at it. At least you won't have the catcher to try to see around, just the converging fielders. With less than two out or not a game ending situation, I would not recommend leaving the 1BLX area.

#11 NoCal Blue

NoCal Blue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 09-August 11
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

In this situation Fair/Foul, Catch/No Catch is the only thing you really need to be worried about and need to have total priority.
Nothing can happen on a Foul.
Nothing can happen on a catch.
A close Fair, Uncaught Ball will end the game as R3 better be standing on the plate at that time anyway.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users