#1 jmpnjmy

jmpnjmy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 18-August 11
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

I am relatively new to this and was working a game this past Sunday.I thought I made this call right but now not sure because I haven't been able to find a reference in the FED rule book. Sit: Ri and R2, F1 goes into stretch with the ball, while straddling the rubber. Then, while still straddling the rubber comes into a set position. I balked him advanced the runners one base. After discussion with the DEF coach about wether it was a balk or not my partner ended up overruling me. This of course ticked me off to no end but that's a different story. Can anyone help me out? Is it a balk, and why?
There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them. - Inspector Jacques Clouseau

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 sdix00

sdix00
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Joined 11-November 10
  • LocationMoreno Valley, CA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

BALK. 6-2-5

"Good call Blue!!"

shut_up_baby_futurama.gif

#3 jmpnjmy

jmpnjmy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 18-August 11
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thank you sir. I appreciate the help
There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them. - Inspector Jacques Clouseau

#4 24sdad

24sdad
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 18-April 10
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Here is what Stephen posted for you:

ART. 5 . . . It is also a balk if a runner or runners are on base and the pitcher, while he is not touching the pitcher’s plate, makes any movement naturally associated with his pitch, or he places his feet on or astride the pitcher’s plate, or positions himself within approximately five feet of the pitcher’s plate without having the ball.

Your partner is an idiot.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." Earl Weaver

#5 carolinablue

carolinablue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Your partner is an idiot.

Dang right.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't-you're right. ~Henry Ford

#6 MUAump2

MUAump2
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Joined 16-June 11
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :MUA, JCOA, GPBA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Why did you let your partner overrule you? What did he say that was so convincing?
"Whether you can or you can't, you're right."

#7 cyclonehokiece

cyclonehokiece
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Joined 23-May 11
  • LocationBaltimore County, MD

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

Remember 10-1-4, your partner cannot overrule you. He can provide information once you ask him to do so, and you then can change your call.
RIP, MST

#8 Mike Prince

Mike Prince

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 04-November 09
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

Unfortunately once he does it you can't really un-do it. He makes you look bad, if you try to stick with your call you have an argument on the field and look worse.

This is why pregame with your partner is so important. It's your call, you make it. Any questions or information comes to you and you only. Sounds like the coach went directly to your partner instead of you and then in turn your partner screwed the pooch.

I hope you let your "partner" know about this postgame. If not make sure it gets addressed before you take the field with him again.

#9 jmpnjmy

jmpnjmy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 18-August 11
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for your help guys.

Mike P, that's exactly why I let it go.

I didn't bring it up in pregame becasue our organization kept brining up in training that you don't overrule your partner. Lesson learned on that one.

#10 csabo17

csabo17
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • LocationHazard,Ky
  • Your Association Name :KHSAA, KIAC, Sandlot America

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

Im confused. He had his left foot behind rubber amd right foot in front ( left handed pitcher) then brought his right foot up to rubber with hands in set position?
I agree thats a balk, but why is he doing this?

Ive been having a lot of trouble lately out of pitchers straddeling the rubber and looking in to get a sign. Isnt this a balk since hes taking signs without being on the rubber?

And you should never of let your partner over rule you there. You could of asked his opinionbut doesnt mean you have to use it.

#11 UMP45

UMP45
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 09-March 08
  • LocationGreensboro,NC

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

The OP didn't say he ever toe'd the rubber. All pitching motion was done while straddling the rubber.

#12 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

That is one of the biggest elephant balks you will see, I can't imagine your partner thinking about overruling you. First he should know the rule better and then he should know he has no authority to do so. Make sure you address it with him next time and certainly make sure your UIC is aware.
If the coach starts to go to him first, head him off. Come out and say," Coach, my call, come talk to me!" If he chooses not to do so, physically head him off or if you are sure he heard and is ignoring you, toss him.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Balk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users