ukce1861

Premium Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Joined 09-January 10
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

So, I'm looking to get some new base shoes in the next few months. In the past I've had the NB 995 (which I hated - very uncomfortable and hard to clean) and the 3n2 base shoes (Which I like, they're just not very durable. I've worn them for 52 games and the nubs are really worn down and the sides are cracking.).

Anyway, I'm looking for a new shoe and I'm currently considering three: the Mizuno G3, the Mizuno G5 and the Reebok NFL Turf Trainer. Does anybody have any experience with these shoes? I think the one I'm most interested in is the G5, in Black/White. Does anyone know how the traction is? Also, how's the sizing/width on these shoes?

Thanks!

#2 Mike Prince

Mike Prince
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  • Joined 04-November 09
  • LocationMooresville (Lake Norman), NC

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

I have several variations of the Reeboks and really like them.

Have never had the Mizunos but I have tried some on and if my memory is correct they ran a bit narrow and a bit short.

#3 Fittske24

Fittske24

Resident Gear Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 11-December 09

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yep, Mizuno's run about a half size small so size up a half size. I like and use these Nike Air Elite Pre-Game Trainers. They come with black laces, clean up easily and are very comfortable:

Posted Image

#4 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,483 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yep, Mizuno's run about a half size small so size up a half size. I like and use these Nike Air Elite Pre-Game Trainers. They come with black laces, clean up easily and are very comfortable:

Posted Image

I concur, I use them as well. I don't like that 'suedelike' material, but a little water cleans them up nice. Fittske, ...if you have a better way of keeping them clean, please share! :wave:

ON EDIT ...and by the way, if you use these shoes, ..cut off that tab in back as they can catch your pants

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#5 NWA_UMP

NWA_UMP
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I use the Mizuno Infinity Trainers...they run small in length so order up a size...

#6 jourdyn08

jourdyn08
  • Inactive
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 26-January 11

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

i like the reebok and just found the blk/blk zig vero iv on ebay. they should be in very soon can't wait to wear them.

#7 cuban

cuban
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 11-December 10

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Posted Image

Those look very sharp! What is the traction like? Have you ever worn them with white laces?

#8 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, Mid-America Umpires

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

I wear those Nikes pictured above as well. They are extremely comfortable and very light. They come with black laces that I put in after I got them.

The traction would not be great on really wet grass, but it is fine any other time.

#9 ScottFaulkenberry

ScottFaulkenberry
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 29-September 11
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • Your Association Name :Kern County Officials Association

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Posted Image

I use these as well and really like them!
Scott Faulkenberry
Bakersfield, California
Kern County Officials Association
California Interscholastic Federation Central Section
Babe Ruth League, Inc.
National Umpires Association

www.kcofficials.com

#10 Viper

Viper
  • Inactive
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 21-May 11
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

dont laugh but I used to sell shoes for a living :) Granted this does not make me an expert by any means, although I did learn some very useful things during my 2 years in the shoe business. In my humble opinion Mizuno makes some of the best shoes I have ever seen. ESPECIALLY the wave line. Also, through college and high school baseball the only cleat that I could wear without extreme discomfort was Mizuno. I was a catcher and needed something that would hold up and not kill my feet at the same time. The G5 is an outstanding choice if you end up choosing between the G5 or G3, and you will be more than pleased im sure.

Fittske24 is correct Mizuno tends to run a half size small.

EDIT...those Nike trainers are a pretty good looking pair of kicks though :GL:

#11 rth54

rth54
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Joined 29-November 09
  • LocationVentura County, California

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Just ordered a pair of the Nikes... 75.00 w/ free shipping from Zappos

#12 Stan W.

Stan W.

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,768 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

I have several variations of the Reeboks and really like them.

Have never had the Mizunos but I have tried some on and if my memory is correct they ran a bit narrow and a bit short.

I have always been a mixuno guy...but short is accurate.....im trying NB this season.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users