Transition Rx v. Sun Glasses on the mound

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4343 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Two times on Saturday me and my PU had a problem differentiating between the prescription transition lenses and sunglasses... Both turned out to be prescriptions (at least that is what we were told and had to believe given no proof otherwise)... One kid had the brand "Converse" on the frame, but both his dad and himself swore they were Prescription.

The things look the same! The game was 15-0 by the time those pitchers went to the mound so neither coach really cared, but the possibility is there for it to happen in a 1-1 extra inning playoff game where everybody cares.

Anyone have any tricks that can tell you what are sunglasses and what is prescription? Or do we just have to go by what the player, coach, or parent says? And no, I am not going to delay the game 5 minutes while we hold some glasses underneath a shirt to see if they turn clear or not. :rolleyes:

Some leagues have their own local rules. I remember when I played a rule stating no wired framed glasses and they must be shatter resistant.

This. League doesn't want the glare shining into a batters eyes.

What glare?

Prescription or Transitions lenses don't glare but Oakley's do? What a crock. Someone thinks there's a rule against sunglasses and is making up a reason.

• Like 1

Some leagues have their own local rules. I remember when I played a rule stating no wired framed glasses and they must be shatter resistant.

What glare?

Someone thinks there's a rule against sunglasses and is making up a reason.

Again. It is a league rule. I'm not on the rules commitee or board, it is just a rule they tell me to enforce.

If you want me to guess where they get it from, I would say LL 4.06 (4)

no fielder shall take a position in the batter's line of vision, with deliberate intent to distract the batter.

They view the pitcher as a fielder in this situation who is obviously in the fielders line of vision... They view non-prescription sun glasses as unnecessary in helping the pitchers performence, and therefore the only purpose they could serve is in distracting the batter.

I know it is a stretch, but I'm trying to enforce the rules that were set forth by the league in the best way I can.

--EDIT--

I worded my last sentence wrong. Fixed it now.

I never said I agreed with the rule. If you want my opinion on the matter, I don't like it. I mean it really doesn't make any sense. Like Rich said, how would it make a difference if a pitcher had coke bottle transition lenses or $250 Oakley's? They glare just the same.

All the comments have persuaded me to talk with the UIC about it though, I'll ask him where the foundation of the rule comes from and see if he has a good answer. If not, I'll go through the proper channels to get it changed.

This rules committee need to learn a little about what they're making rules about.

The only type of lens I can see as distracting would be a lens with a "mirror" coating. These lenses reflect light and I can definitely see where this could be distracting to a batter. Mirrored lenses can be Rx or non Rx. Some Oakley's are mirrored, some are not. There's not enough reflection off any other type of lens, (non Rx sunglass or Rx sunglasses, transitions, whatever) that would bother a batter.

Oakley, and many other well known sun glass manufactures offer their lenses in prescription. Oakley can make clear lenses (see K-Rod), Sun lenses, and transition lenses in their frames. Just because the kid's wearing Oakley's, or any other sunglass for that matter, doesn't mean it's not an Rx. I don't see how you can tell a kid with a pair of Rx sunglasses on to take them off. Converse, Rec Spec, Nike just to name a few, all make sports goggles. The are all Rx compatible. You can bring many of these sports frames to an optician and they can supply lenses for them. Clear, polarized sunglass, transitions. Both Rx or non Rx can be made.

Again, unless the lenses have a silver, blue, or some other shinny mirror coat, non of these should be "illegal".

Two times on Saturday me and my PU had a problem differentiating between the prescription transition lenses and sunglasses... Both turned out to be prescriptions (at least that is what we were told and had to believe given no proof otherwise)... One kid had the brand "Converse" on the frame, but both his dad and himself swore they were Prescription.

The things look the same! The game was 15-0 by the time those pitchers went to the mound so neither coach really cared, but the possibility is there for it to happen in a 1-1 extra inning playoff game where everybody cares.

Anyone have any tricks that can tell you what are sunglasses and what is prescription? Or do we just have to go by what the player, coach, or parent says? And no, I am not going to delay the game 5 minutes while we hold some glasses underneath a shirt to see if they turn clear or not. :rolleyes:

In this case I wouldn't care either. If the lenses aren't distracting you (PU) they aren't distracting anyone else either.

Edit: Why the hell did I type "lasses" instead of "lenses" - guess I know where my mind is today :)

What glare?

Prescription or Transitions lenses don't glare but Oakley's do? What a crock. Someone thinks there's a rule against sunglasses and is making up a reason.

Where do these people come from :no:

So it is a clear sunny day, with the sun high in Center field.

I guess the PU better remove their sunglasses because the glint may distract anyone of the 8 fielders out in front of them.

Get a life people and play baseball.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we all get handcuffed by local rules... We play Dixie, so 10u is tight base. The local rule on leaving early is automatic out. Not DDB... the reason, they don't want to waste time with DDB during the timed games... Thus our league is one and done in allstar tourneys.

I think we all get handcuffed by local rules... We play Dixie, so 10u is tight base. The local rule on leaving early is automatic out. Not DDB... the reason, they don't want to waste time with DDB during the timed games... Thus our league is one and done in allstar tourneys.

BINGO. I just don't get why leagues can't see the correlation between teams that go far and leagues that treat every game like a tourney game! If I was in charge of making the rules for a league, my job would already be done for me in the larger leagues Official Rulebook.

• 3 weeks later...

Local rules should include field ground rules, decisions about nationally given options, schedules, make-up procedures and other similar things. I can think of no playin rules that need to be made at the local level.