yawetag
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :GSLAU

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Emotionally exciting as this may be - is it really the right thing to do?

Why not, Rich?
Andrew Senger
MSHSAA Certified Baseball Umpire
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#22 Rich Ives

Rich Ives
  • Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Joined 09-May 10

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

Daddy's home and you don't tell junior? You wait and make it a public event and that's OK?

At the Syracuse event the band knew it was happening (probably not who) the day before. Lots of people knew - just not his kids.

That's why.

I coach. I have to consider the situation from both sides - offense and defense.

#23 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, Mid-America Umpires

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

The homecoming set ups are getting played out. They were neat at first but now they're kind of repetitive.

#24 yawetag

yawetag
  • Members
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Daddy's home and you don't tell junior? You wait and make it a public event and that's OK?

At the Syracuse event the band knew it was happening (probably not who) the day before. Lots of people knew - just not his kids.

That's why.

Depends on when Dad came home. Most likely, it was that morning or afternoon, not two days before.
Andrew Senger
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

#25 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,127 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Living just outside of and working in the middle of the world's largest military complex. And with homecomings being a constant happening around here I still get choked up when I see the "Welcome home Daddy" signs especially when it is one of my friends or one of my children's parents.

My daughter had a sleepover a while back and that morning she found out her dad was coming home in 2 weeks. The girl couldn't stop talking about it and it got me and my wife choked up.

Warren

#26 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,014 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

As far as I know, no one on this board is living this scenario, ...so why comment on it? Let them do what they want to do, right?

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#27 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,654 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

As far as I know, no one on this board is living this scenario, ...so why comment on it? Let them do what they want to do, right?

I agree Jeff. I think this is a personal decision. For every one of these, there are probably hundreds who don't do it that way.
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#28 Rich Ives

Rich Ives
  • Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Joined 09-May 10

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

That's why.

Depends on when Dad came home. Most likely, it was that morning or afternoon, not two days before.

A lot of people knew ahead of time and they chose to not tell his children. Classy. Really classy. At least in my view.

I coach. I have to consider the situation from both sides - offense and defense.

#29 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,654 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

When you're over there getting your a$$ shot off, I think you've earned the right to decide how you tell your kids that you're coming home. I will never judge any of these outside of positive.
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#30 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

The only ones I judge are the ones that sent them over there. And I judge them very harshly.

The returning soldiers, I celebrate, however they choose to fashion their return.

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#31 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

I keep soldier's dogs while they are on deployment. I get choked up watching that reunion.
Posted Image

#32 yawetag

yawetag
  • Members
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

A lot of people knew ahead of time and they chose to not tell his children. Classy. Really classy. At least in my view.

Note to self: Don't throw Rich a surprise birthday party.
Andrew Senger

#33 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, Mid-America Umpires

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

To clarify my post, it doesn't matter to me how returning soldiers handle their return home. They can do whatever they want. It just seems like the entertainment industry and the media have beaten it to death at this point.

#34 Jeremy_UEFL

Jeremy_UEFL
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 29-February 12

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Jeff Kellogg lent out his gear for that reunion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batters box, tigers, white sox

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users