Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4377 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Guys,...

Check it out, ... 3 batters into the Tigers/White Sox game, ...Miguel Cabrera mentions to the HP umpire that the box is wrong, and started pointing and the HP umpire started looking around and all of the sudden, ...the grounds crew is called out, and as I type this, ...they are RE-DOING the batters box. The crew had done the box incorrectly, erring to the pitchers mound side.

That's why Cabrera noticed it, because he could tell he couldn't get deep enough....

Amazing ...

Guys,...

Check it out, ... 3 batters into the Tigers/White Sox game, ...Miguel Cabrera mentions to the HP umpire that the box is wrong, and started pointing and the HP umpire started looking around and all of the sudden, ...the grounds crew is called out, and as I type this, ...they are RE-DOING the batters box. The crew had done the box incorrectly, erring to the pitchers mound side.

That's why Cabrera noticed it, because he could tell he couldn't get deep enough....

Amazing ...

I had this happen at my softball game last night, except it was spotted by the pitcher (before I called them on it and right as I was getting on the field). First they were baseball batters boxes and they were crocked as heck. But never seen it at a professional game. They usually have it right. Any video Thunderheads?

Funny that you mention Wills. Back when he was the king of stolen bases when he played for the Dodgers, the Giants were accused of "over watering" the area around first base so Wills couldnt get a good push off to try and steal second.

Funny that you mention Wills. Back when he was the king of stolen bases when he played for the Dodgers, the Giants were accused of "over watering" the area around first base so Wills couldnt get a good push off to try and steal second.

You think that kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore?

Looks like the "form" they use to chalk the box has two 2x4's to line up on the plate. When they re-chalked the box, they used the forward 2x4. Probably used the rear 2x4 before the game...mistake??? :rollinglaugh: who knows? These ground crew guys are pretty damn good, cant really see them screwing this up by accident.

As an "off-topic" watch the video two after this one. Kid participates in between inning run out and grab second base promotion. An umpire confronts him at 2nd base...turns out its his Army Sgt. dad (dressed as umpire) just returned from overseas. Good stuff.

Those surprise reunion clips always make me cry like a baby. That includes this one.

Mazza posted it on Facebook. Here's my response: Why do things like this make me cry?

Happened at a Syracuse football game this year.

The marching band kids texted their parents to make sure they were there for the pre-game.

The only people that didn't know Dad was home were the soldier's kids.

Emotionally exciting as this may be - is it really the right thing to do?

Daddy's home and you don't tell junior? You wait and make it a public event and that's OK?

At the Syracuse event the band knew it was happening (probably not who) the day before. Lots of people knew - just not his kids.

That's why.

Depends on when Dad came home. Most likely, it was that morning or afternoon, not two days before.

Living just outside of and working in the middle of the world's largest military complex. And with homecomings being a constant happening around here I still get choked up when I see the "Welcome home Daddy" signs especially when it is one of my friends or one of my children's parents.

My daughter had a sleepover a while back and that morning she found out her dad was coming home in 2 weeks. The girl couldn't stop talking about it and it got me and my wife choked up.