RefPay

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4356 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Guys ..

Is getting paid this way taxable? Meaning, will this generate a 1099 from the State?

Thanks..........

Not unless the organization has it set up on their own. Does your state pay you for high school games instead of individual schools?

Guys ..

Is getting paid this way taxable? Meaning, will this generate a 1099 from the State?

Thanks..........

Not unless the organization has it set up on their own. Does your state pay you for high school games instead of individual schools?

I dont' know ...first year ;)

Guys ..

Thanks..........

I dont' know ...first year ;)

Matters source and if you go over $600 from any one source who is paying you if you will get a 1099. Refpay is just a tool they use to pay you.

However, I have to put down, technically according to the IRS and most state departments of revenue (or as they call it in VA, taxation, and yes, I know some states don't have income tax, lucky bastards), all income, whether it is on a 1099 or not, is taxable and has to be reported. I am not a tax lawyer or IRS agent, do not play one on TV, did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, etc., but if you ever do get audited, it could cost more (in time and money) later than just reporting the income now.

There is nothing technical about it and you are supposed to report it. According to a tax lawyer I know real good its far worse to not report the income than it is to overstate the expenses. Its just not worth it. Plus were supposed to be upholding the rules of the game and I dont see how that squares with cheating on your taxes.

• Like 1

There is nothing technical about it and you are supposed to report it. According to a tax lawyer I know real good its far worse to not report the income than it is to overstate the expenses. Its just not worth it. Plus were supposed to be upholding the rules of the game and I dont see how that squares with cheating on your taxes.

It does square. That's how you level the playing field.

Wait. Oh I thought you said " I dont see how that squares with getting cheated on your taxes."

First of all, by being a gear and uniform junkie, while at the same time being drastically underpaid for my work, the expenses are way out of line with the income. So that's the reason I report all of the income. I don't want those ridiculously high expenses to be the red flag. And I don't even deduct all the expenses, because I don't want SWMBO, who doubles as SWDOT (She Who Does Our Taxes) to know how much gear I buy in a year.

I have received 1099s from schools that I did a single game at for $72.

So you can get a 1099 for less than $600.

At $600 they must do it.

Under it is their oprtion.

I get paid thru RefPay for USSSA and they do 1099.

1099 is done by who pays you regardless of how it is paid to you.

Cash, Check, Automatic Transfer.

Because I don't like what the government does with my money :hopmad:

I don't worry about taxes, non are with held and I don't pay anything.

Oh maybe thats because I am so poor.

The expenses of a SWMBO and 3 daughters is all the deductions the IRS allows me to have.

This is my association's first year with ref pay. Now the schools are paying the association and the association pays us through RefPay. Now I will get 1 1099 from the association whereas I hardly ever got 1099s as I rarely worked at one location enough to generate a 1099,

Maybe it's because you're being hypocritical.

You can't profess that this is some great country until it is time to pay your share, and then bemoan its use of that revenue. It's best not to speak out at all.

Kevin - No Offense :rose:

I feel I have paid my fair share.

Not only in money but in service.

The First Ammendment also gives me the freedom of speech.

I always found it ironic that you have to pay taxes on money when that money comes from tax money the Federal Government collected.

Isn't the government taxing it twice.

They taxed someone to get it to pay you and then tax you because they paid it to you :smachhead:

Also, at least in California, If you are unemployeed and collect unemployment, the State of California won't tax it, but the Federal Government taxes it. That really helps someone at a time of need.

No Taxation without Representation :hopmad:

:givebeer: or give me death.......... :meditation:

Just wait if you can't afford Health Insurance, ObamaCare will charge you penalties through the IRS.

Sorry but our tax system and the way our government spends money has been broken for sometime.

So.......about Refpay......

I love it.

They put the money into RefPay and I get it into my bank generally the next day. :notworthy:

I also have no idea why Mr. Kevin Finnerty is so upset that he would attack me for what I said, no less ever question my Patriotism.

To me it was totally uncalled for.

So.......about Refpay......

I love it.

They put the money into RefPay and I get it into my bank generally the next day. :notworthy:

I also have no idea why Mr. Kevin Finnerty is so upset that he would attack me for what I said, no less ever question my Patriotism.

To me it was totally uncalled for.

Attack? You need a better grasp of the word attack. And I didn't question your patriotism. I wondered why such a patriotic guy wouldn't want to pay his share when it came time to support his country.

And your statement was eye-opening and offensive, so I pointed out its hypocrisy. You should either keep your conflicting beliefs to yourself or be prepared to be addressed by those who see the conflict.

• Like 1

I still prefer a check at the plate meeting...which is becoming more rare. RefPay is fine, as I have the money transferred to a RefPay credit card for personal use. Not many schools where I work use it (but slowly gaining popularity), and it varies from 1-3 weeks for those schools who do use it to deposit into my account. As long as I eventually get it, all is good.

Re: reporting to IRS...pretty simple - if you received compensation, be honest and report it.

I still prefer a check at the plate meeting...which is becoming more rare. RefPay is fine, as I have the money transferred to a RefPay credit card for personal use. Not many schools where I work use it (but slowly gaining popularity), and it varies from 1-3 weeks for those schools who do use it to deposit into my account. As long as I eventually get it, all is good.

Re: reporting to IRS...pretty simple - if you received compensation, be honest and report it.

I love the RefPay routine, or the other tournaments and summer leagues where we get paid automatically. I am against being paid at the plate meeting. In fact, for those who normally pay that way, I prefer to get the envelope(s) when I check in 90 minutes before the game. There are a couple of schools that are classy enough to have the AD find you at the car an hour before the game and pay you then and there. That works too.

I don't like the appearance of the home coach paying you right there in front of everyone. It's not professional at all.

It's seemingly a little thing, but it has always bothered me.

I know you guys hate me when I ask all the pay questions.

For anyone who possibly thinks that because they do not get a 1099 if they do not make over 600 for each area they work in, and therefor do not have to report, that would be wrong.

All income is taxable, even that $10 dollars you win in the office pool. Does anyone like getting moved up to another Federal bracket by their officiating earnings. No. Does anyone enjoy paying 15% SS taxes as an independent contractor on that money. No. Do you like paying state and local taxes on that money, No. Can you consider it under the table money and not report it. Legally No. So, all the income is taxable. Can you claim deductions. Sure. However, after running the numbers and seeing how little you make, you have a decision to make. Umpire or don't umpire. Nobody is forcing you. Have some guys quit when they started giving 1099's in some areas. Sure. Guess they weren't reporting the income and just considering it under the table.

If you do not feel it is worth the effort to umpire because of the taxes, that is perfectly OK and a rational decision.

Umpires are a special breed. We get the smallest amount of pay, for the most potentially injury prone job and time involved, other than maybe Hockey IMHO.

That is why I keep harping on the pay issue, not only for MiLB guys, but all the umpires anywhere, no matter the level.

It seems like hoops guys make out the best. No, concussions from baseballs off the mask, no contusions (potentially life threatening) on the legs or in the privates. No broken fingers, or wrists. Nice weather inside the gyms. Best pay all the way up the ladder. Many of those guys only called 10 fouls a piece for their 2k in the playoffs and even more during Conference games. Look how quick their games are over. How many 3-4 hour games at the pro level or D1 level? How about long games lower down from that level?

How much do hoops guys have to spend on equipment. 1 special shirt, 1 special black pants, 1 pair special shoes, 1 special belt, 1 special jacket, 1 pair special socks, and a fox40 whistle and lanyard, and you are good to go, for that game. You can wear this same outfit regardless of weather you are the referee or umpire.

Now for the umpires. Plate umpire. 1 special shirt, 1 special grey pants, 1 special shoes, 1 special belt, 1 special jacket, 1 special socks, 1 special under armor pant and shirt, 1 special hat, 1 special mask, 1 special chest protector, 1 special shin guards, 1 special jock and cup, 1 special ball bag, 1 special brush, 1 special indicator, 1 special lineup card holder and pen. Same thing for the base umpire except for the armor, brushes, ball bags, indicator, brush, lineup card holder. In other words, baseball guys have to have 2 sets of uniforms, other sports just need the one. Do not mention the things I just forgot, you get the picture.

Once again, everyone has a decision to make if the money is not right. Get more of it in the fee structure, or quit, or go to another sport that pays the amount you are happy with for your time and effort and the taxes you pay.

Those hoops guys who make all the money are a bunch of sissy's, but maybe they are pretty smart when it comes to the most bang for the buck with all things considered.

I will continue to harp on our underpayment at all levels in relationship to hoops at all levels. Even when some pay is the same among sports, there is the equipment needed and the danger involved, and the Pace of Game issue. There was even an article that said the senior NBA guys now make between 5 and 7k per game. And that's only for a 82 game schedule, and I do not see more people in the stands for NBA games than MLB, even though MLB uses 1 extra guy.

eh, what purpose does it serve to be jealous or obsessed with basketball? It's different, with its advantage and disadvantages. I do all three - baseball, basketball, and football. Baseball is far and away the most expensive in terms of equipment, but it has the longest season as well. It's more defined - to me, much more clear on what to do and what to look for. Basketball doesn't have rainouts, but the season isn't as long. Unless you want to do AAU stuff and put up with that nonsense. And it's WAY more physically demanding than baseball. I've had a couple JV games this year with city league teams that weren't very good but all they did was run up and down all night. I could barely walk the next day after one of them. It's much more "watch everything in this area and be prepared to make a call instantaneously". Baseball is my favorite but I found basketball to be quite enjoyable. And around here, the pay structure is pretty much the same at sub-varsity levels, with varsity on par with football (and requiring more of a commitment - arrival time 1.5 hr prior to game, more competitive to get on a good crew, etc).

• Like 1

Two things:

I am not a sports official, I am a baseball man. And umpiring is merely the latest thing I have done in baseball to be close to the game on a year-round basis.

and,

I'm not in it for the money. I could use the money; I enjoy receiving the money; I certainly spend the money, but the way umpiring has opened a new door to be inside the game, I am delighted with anything monetary that I gain from it. But being on the field way inside the game is the thing that I gain the most from my efforts as an umpire.

And I think that DumbDumb's main point is that umpires are a special breed that'll do just about anything to be at a ballpark calling and running a ballgame and that if you're just in it for the buck, then do basketball. At least that's what I inferred.

Two things:

I am not a sports official, I am a baseball man. And umpiring is merely the latest thing I have done in baseball to be close to the game on a year-round basis.

and,

I'm not in it for the money. I could use the money; I enjoy receiving the money; I certainly spend the money, but the way umpiring has opened a new door to be inside the game, I am delighted with anything monetary that I gain from it. But being on the field way inside the game is the thing that I gain the most from my efforts as an umpire.

And I think that DumbDumb's main point is that umpires are a special breed that'll do just about anything to be at a ballpark calling and running a ballgame and that if you're just in it for the buck, then do basketball. At least that's what I inferred.

You pretty much nailed it, although without being jealous or anything else, I would like to see compensation disparity at several levels come closer together.