Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,511 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Guys ..
Is getting paid this way taxable? Meaning, will this generate a 1099 from the State?

Thanks..........

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#2 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, Mid-America Umpires

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Guys ..
Is getting paid this way taxable? Meaning, will this generate a 1099 from the State?

Thanks..........

Not unless the organization has it set up on their own. Does your state pay you for high school games instead of individual schools?

#3 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,511 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Guys ..

Thanks..........

Not unless the organization has it set up on their own. Does your state pay you for high school games instead of individual schools?

I dont' know ...first year ;)

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#4 cyclonehokiece

cyclonehokiece
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Joined 23-May 11
  • LocationBaltimore County, MD

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Guys ..

Thanks..........

I dont' know ...first year ;)

Matters source and if you go over $600 from any one source who is paying you if you will get a 1099. Refpay is just a tool they use to pay you.

However, I have to put down, technically according to the IRS and most state departments of revenue (or as they call it in VA, taxation, and yes, I know some states don't have income tax, lucky bastards), all income, whether it is on a 1099 or not, is taxable and has to be reported. I am not a tax lawyer or IRS agent, do not play one on TV, did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, etc., but if you ever do get audited, it could cost more (in time and money) later than just reporting the income now.
RIP, MST

#5 noumpere

noumpere
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts
  • Joined 14-April 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

There is nothing technical about it and you are supposed to report it. According to a tax lawyer I know real good its far worse to not report the income than it is to overstate the expenses. Its just not worth it. Plus were supposed to be upholding the rules of the game and I dont see how that squares with cheating on your taxes.

#6 sdix00

sdix00
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • Joined 11-November 10
  • LocationMoreno Valley, CA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

There is nothing technical about it and you are supposed to report it. According to a tax lawyer I know real good its far worse to not report the income than it is to overstate the expenses. Its just not worth it. Plus were supposed to be upholding the rules of the game and I dont see how that squares with cheating on your taxes.

It does square. That's how you level the playing field.

Wait. Oh I thought you said " I dont see how that squares with getting cheated on your taxes."

Sigh

#7 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

First of all, by being a gear and uniform junkie, while at the same time being drastically underpaid for my work, the expenses are way out of line with the income. So that's the reason I report all of the income. I don't want those ridiculously high expenses to be the red flag. And I don't even deduct all the expenses, because I don't want SWMBO, who doubles as SWDOT (She Who Does Our Taxes) to know how much gear I buy in a year.

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#8 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • 1,694 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationSalina, Utah
  • Your Association Name :USSSA, Babe Ruth, CalRipkin, Little League, High School

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I have received 1099s from schools that I did a single game at for $72.
So you can get a 1099 for less than $600.
At $600 they must do it.
Under it is their oprtion.

I get paid thru RefPay for USSSA and they do 1099.

1099 is done by who pays you regardless of how it is paid to you.
Cash, Check, Automatic Transfer.

Moved to Salina, Utah.  Time for some fishing and hunting.

#9 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • 1,694 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationSalina, Utah
  • Your Association Name :USSSA, Babe Ruth, CalRipkin, Little League, High School

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Because I don't like what the government does with my money :hopmad:
I don't worry about taxes, non are with held and I don't pay anything.
Oh maybe thats because I am so poor.
The expenses of a SWMBO and 3 daughters is all the deductions the IRS allows me to have.

#10 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Maybe it's because you're being hypocritical.

You can't profess that this is some great country until it is time to pay your share, and then bemoan its use of that revenue. It's best not to speak out at all.

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#11 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,080 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

This is my association's first year with ref pay. Now the schools are paying the association and the association pays us through RefPay. Now I will get 1 1099 from the association whereas I hardly ever got 1099s as I rarely worked at one location enough to generate a 1099,

Warren

#12 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • 1,694 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationSalina, Utah

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Maybe it's because you're being hypocritical.

You can't profess that this is some great country until it is time to pay your share, and then bemoan its use of that revenue. It's best not to speak out at all.

Kevin - No Offense :rose:
I feel I have paid my fair share.
Not only in money but in service.
The First Ammendment also gives me the freedom of speech.
I always found it ironic that you have to pay taxes on money when that money comes from tax money the Federal Government collected.
Isn't the government taxing it twice.
They taxed someone to get it to pay you and then tax you because they paid it to you :smachhead:
Also, at least in California, If you are unemployeed and collect unemployment, the State of California won't tax it, but the Federal Government taxes it. That really helps someone at a time of need.

No Taxation without Representation :hopmad:
:givebeer: or give me death.......... :meditation:

Just wait if you can't afford Health Insurance, ObamaCare will charge you penalties through the IRS.

Sorry but our tax system and the way our government spends money has been broken for sometime.

#13 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Your complaints don't match your convenient patriotism and cliche partisanship.

And serving your country in the military is only one way of serving your country. Many of us also serve our country in noble ways without placing ourselves above all others for doing it.

̶ Bob Uecker

#14 grayhawk

grayhawk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

So.......about Refpay......

2014 Game Count:  High School: 43 | AAU: 0 | Pony: 0 | Little League: 2 | UCLA: 2 | Total: 47

2013 Game Count:  High School: 43 | USSSA: 7 | AAU: 30 | Pony: 11Little League: 17 | UCLA: 1Total: 109

#15 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • 1,694 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationSalina, Utah

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

I love it.
They put the money into RefPay and I get it into my bank generally the next day. :notworthy:

I also have no idea why Mr. Kevin Finnerty is so upset that he would attack me for what I said, no less ever question my Patriotism.
To me it was totally uncalled for.

#16 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,511 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

OK guys, ...that's enough ....we're WAY off the subject.

I have my answer...I just wanted to know .......

Jeff

#17 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Jeff, in summary you claim it all, 1099 or no. :)
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#18 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

I love it.
They put the money into RefPay and I get it into my bank generally the next day. :notworthy:

I also have no idea why Mr. Kevin Finnerty is so upset that he would attack me for what I said, no less ever question my Patriotism.
To me it was totally uncalled for.

Attack? You need a better grasp of the word attack. And I didn't question your patriotism. I wondered why such a patriotic guy wouldn't want to pay his share when it came time to support his country.

And your statement was eye-opening and offensive, so I pointed out its hypocrisy. You should either keep your conflicting beliefs to yourself or be prepared to be addressed by those who see the conflict.

̶ Bob Uecker

#19 24sdad

24sdad
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 18-April 10
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I still prefer a check at the plate meeting...which is becoming more rare. RefPay is fine, as I have the money transferred to a RefPay credit card for personal use. Not many schools where I work use it (but slowly gaining popularity), and it varies from 1-3 weeks for those schools who do use it to deposit into my account. As long as I eventually get it, all is good.

Re: reporting to IRS...pretty simple - if you received compensation, be honest and report it.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." Earl Weaver

#20 yawetag

yawetag
  • Members
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :GSLAU

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

I feel I have paid my fair share.
Not only in money but in service.

If everyone shared your feelings, the military wouldn't have money to pay those in service.
Andrew Senger
MSHSAA Certified Baseball Umpire
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users