High School Substitutions, Lineups, etc.

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4362 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

SO Thunder's post on HS Line-ups had me referring to my handy-dandy HS cheat sheet at http://sn.im/umpirehs and realized that the substitution section was not finished. Now I know why. There is is lot of stuff.

So I chopped up the BRD, JR and WUM and came up with this summary of all the substitution stuff I need to know to know as a FED umpire. I still need to work on it to shorten it to more of a cheat sheet, so this is a first draft.

Ignore the poor formatting because gdocs and the HTML editor on U-E don't play well together. Let me know if I missed anything. Help me make it better.

HS SUBSTITUTION RULES

Line-up (1-1-2, 1.1.3, 4-4-1, 4.4.1e)

• The name listed on the lineup card establishes the official batting order.

• No penalty is provided if a player’s name and number do not match in the scorebook or card.

[*]All Substitutes must be listed on the lineup card. No Penalty

[*]At the time the lineups are exchanged, all starting players listed must be at the game site.

[*]A team is allowed to continue with eight players. When the hole in the lineup fails to bat, record an out.

A Legal Substitute is: (2-36-1)

• A substitute is a roster player eligible to enter.

Starters Re-entering:(3-1-3; 3.1.3b,CMT)

• Any of the 10 starters (includes the DH) may withdraw and reenter the game once.

An Illegal Substitute:(2-36-3)(3.1.1c)

• Illegal Sub may be discovered by the umpire, the opposing team, the scorer, or a fan.
  • An Illegal Sub is:

• A player who is ineligible to participate, which includes a

• withdrawn substitute
      • a twice-withdrawn starter
      • ejected or restricted players

[*]Any player, including the player for whom the DH is hitting, who reenters in the wrong spot in the batting order

[*]A designated hitter who enters the game on defense while the player for whom he is batting is still playing defense

[*]A courtesy runner who violates the courtesy-runner rule.

Penalties for Illegal Substitutes: (3.1.1,c,g,l,m,o,p 3.1.3,a, 8-4-1k)

• Illegal Sub is Out (if applicable) and Restricted.
  • Illegal Sub previously Restricted is Out (if applicable) and Ejected
  • On Offense:

• A proper appeal of an Illegal Sub will cancel any run the illegal substitute scored or caused to be scored
    • Any outs made as a result of offensive action by the Illegal Sub will stand.

[*]On defense:

• If the Illegal Sub participates in a play and is properly appealed, the offense may take the result of the play or replay the pitch.

Unreported Substitutes: (2-36-2,3.1.1,b,c,d,3-1-1a,b,c)

• An unreported substitute is a player eligible participate but who did not report to the UIC when he entered the game
  • The substitute is legal “when the ball is alive†and:

• A runner reaches base
    • A pitcher intentionally contacts the pitcher’s plate
    • A fielder reaches his position
    • A batter takes his place in the batter’s box.
    • PENALTY for not reporting: none.

Projected Substitutions:(3-1-1; 3.1.1e)

• The UIC may not accept projected substitutions:

• Offensive changes must be reported when the team is on offense;
    • defensive changes, when on defense.
    • (NCAA and OBR, subs are not restricted to offense on offense and defense on defense)

Courtesy Runners: (2-33-1; 2.33.1; CR 1-7)

• By state association adoption only. (CA has not adopted Courtesy Runners)
  • Teams may use a courtesy runner at any time after the pitcher or catcher reaches base.

• The same player may not run for both.
    • Players who have entered the game may not be courtesy runners;
    • A player may not be a courtesy runner and substitute for any player in that half inning;
    • A player who has had a courtesy runner may not return for that runner in the same half-inning;
    • The UIC will record “courtesy runner participation

[*]A courtesy runner who violates any of these rules is an illegal substitute.

• Penalty: Out and Restricted

Pitching Substitutions:(3-1-1) (3-1-2)(3-1-3)(3.1.2b,c)

• A substitute pitcher must pitch until the first batter (or any pinch hitter for that batter) to face him completes his at bat or a third out is registered.
  • Unless ill, injured, or removed for disciplinary reasons, the starting pitcher must pitch until the lead-off batter completes his at bat.
  • A starting pitcher replaced in the TOP of the first while his team is batting must be governed by all restrictions.

• EXCEPT: If the pitcher does not face the requisite one batter, he is removed only from the mound, not the game. He may return at another position.

[*]If the pitcher is injured and the requirements of the pitching-substitution rule have not been met, or if his replacement needs more warm-up throws than permitted by rule:

• the replaced pitcher may not return to the mound in that game.
    • He may return at any other position.

[*]Improper pitcher legalized:

• Treat as in OBR(3.05c):

• An improper pitcher (one who is in the game in contravention of the pitching-substitution rule) becomes a proper (legal) pitcher after one pitch or an out.
  • Any play in which he participates is legal.
  • This means, if P1 gets to an 0-3 count on his first batter and is illegally replaced by P2, once P2 retires a runner or the side or throws a pitch, P2 is legal, even though P1 was illegally removed.

All Substitutes must be listed on the lineup card.

I would change it to all subs present must be listed on the line-up. If caught at the exchange they must be listed before exchange can finalize. Anytime after, no penalty.

A team is allowed to continue with eight players. When the hole in the lineup fails to bat, record an out.

If a ninth becomes available he may be added.

Any of the 10 starters (includes the DH) may withdraw and reenter the game once.

Add: in their original line-up slot.

• Like 1

Had this happen in one of our games last week: PH for F2 walks. F2 reenters for PH on 1B. CR now replaces F2 on 1B. All legal. While you can't CR for a PH, the coach can burn a sub and reentry to CR for F1 or F2.

Almost sounds like a conversation at work ..with all of our acronyms! LOL :D

Had this happen in one of our games last week: PH for F2 walks. F2 reenters for PH on 1B. CR now replaces F2 on 1B. All legal. While you can't CR for a PH, the coach can burn a sub and reentry to CR for F1 or F2.

This raises the question, does the original F2 reentering become a projected substitution on defense?

Yep, go here: http://www.stevetheu...FHS_rules_b.htm, and scroll down to 2005 interps Sit.2.

This is a great site. Unless Carl Childress does a write-up on the entomology of a particular rule, It's the only place I have found that journals all the interps and rule changes since 1999.

It's a heck of a resource and I submitted this site to the internet archive to make sure that they continue to cache the site in case it ever goes off-line.

Time for a word from our sponsor.

I want to point out that there is no extensive Index for FED rules other than the less-than-helpful four pages at the back of the FED rule book. Compare that to Evans's 50-page OBR index. The closest thing there is is the High School Rules by Topic publication that offers a reorganization of the rules. Helpful, but still doesn't make it hyper easy to find a particular rule.

Childress's BRD serves as a GREAT index for all rule codes. You can locate a FED rule (or interp, or POE) by crossing from the OBR or NCAA rule number, or by the topic, or by the situation. It is also ordered in a logical fashion.

I haven't had a protestable Sitch on the field yet, however if I do, I will be reaching for the BRD first, then the Rule or Case book.

________

Back to out regularly scheduled program.

Just thinking here. Pasting below from your post:

How does a player get restricted? :rolleyes:

• Illegal Sub may be discovered by the umpire, the opposing team, the scorer, or a fan.
  • An Illegal Sub is:

• withdrawn substitute

• An Illegal Sub is:

• withdrawn substitute

What are you asking? Are you saying a player can not be restricted?

All Substitutes must be listed on the lineup card.

I would change it to all subs present must be listed on the line-up. If caught at the exchange they must be listed before exchange can finalize. Anytime after, no penalty.

A team is allowed to continue with eight players. When the hole in the lineup fails to bat, record an out.

If a ninth becomes available he may be added.

Any of the 10 starters (includes the DH) may withdraw and reenter the game once.

Add: in their original line-up slot.

Awesome - modified the doc.

• An Illegal Sub is:

• withdrawn substitute

1st off let me say, I appreciate you taking the time to put this together.

I'm not saying a player can't be restricted, but he can only be restricted for being an illegal sub. :smachhead: Visious cycle.

• Like 1

• An Illegal Sub is:

• withdrawn substitute

1st off let me say, I appreciate you taking the time to put this together.

I'm not saying a player can't be restricted, but he can only be restricted for being an illegal sub. :smachhead: Visious cycle.

Gotcha, and correct.

I guess the point is, if he has already been restricted (due to entering illegally), then enters illegally again, he is subject to EJ.

I believe they only have a restriction for illegal subs so that the player does not have to serve a suspension past the current game. In most states, an ejection means a minimum suspension, but a restriction is just the game you are currently in.