• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Well, here I am a day early. I had the opportunity to wear my new Douglas leg guards tonight for a game.

Some things I wish I had done before putting them on to walk to the field.

1. Taped the straps. They stick out...it wasn't an issue because my polys were heavy enough.

2. The wider ankle plates that wrap around, kept my plate pants from catching on the back of my plate shoes, this was a pleasant surprise because I didn't have to adjust my plate pants b/c the back didn't catch on that strap on the Reebok Plate shoes.

3. They fit like a glove. They might be a bit warm in the summer. Tonight it was in the 50's and chilly so they were pretty comfortable.

4. Overall, these give my All Star leg guards a run for their money.

5. They're super low-profile too. I got a pretty good deal on mine, but I wouldn't hesitate suggesting them to anybody on here who's looking for a high end leg guard. Very, very impressed!

Way to go Douglas!
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#102 T-Rav

T-Rav
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Joined 10-May 10
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Your Association Name :FHSAA BBUA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well, here I am a day early. I had the opportunity to wear my new Douglas leg guards tonight for a game.

Some things I wish I had done before putting them on to walk to the field.

1. Taped the straps. They stick out...it wasn't an issue because my polys were heavy enough.

2. The wider ankle plates that wrap around, kept my plate pants from catching on the back of my plate shoes, this was a pleasant surprise because I didn't have to adjust my plate pants b/c the back didn't catch on that strap on the Reebok Plate shoes.

3. They fit like a glove. They might be a bit warm in the summer. Tonight it was in the 50's and chilly so they were pretty comfortable.

4. Overall, these give my All Star leg guards a run for their money.

5. They're super low-profile too. I got a pretty good deal on mine, but I wouldn't hesitate suggesting them to anybody on here who's looking for a high end leg guard. Very, very impressed!

Way to go Douglas!

So what do you think is best, douglas or all star leg guards? Or is this one of those douglas vs all star CP decisions and it's a coin toss?

#103 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I want to try them both when it's 85 degrees out and see if one is cooler than the other. I think protection is a push. I like the fact that my pant legs stay down w/ the Douglas...at this point, it really is a coin flip w/ a slight edge to the Douglas for the maintenance free experience I had today.

#104 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 7,554 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

I want to try them both when it's 85 degrees out and see if one is cooler than the other. I think protection is a push. I like the fact that my pant legs stay down w/ the Douglas...at this point, it really is a coin flip w/ a slight edge to the Douglas for the maintenance free experience I had today.

I've never had a problem with my pants getting caught up using All-Star shins

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#105 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

Not sure why it's different for me. But it was noticeable for me yesterday.

#106 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 7,554 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:16 AM

Not sure why it's different for me. But it was noticeable for me yesterday.

Johnny, what do your pants catch on?

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#107 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

The back of my plate shoes. The loop that a person could use to pull the shoe onto the foot.

#108 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 7,554 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

The back of my plate shoes. The loop that a person could use to pull the shoe onto the foot.

CUT THEM OFF!!!

Jeff

#109 love2ump

love2ump
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 16-October 11

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Yeah i had those on the 460's and cut them off cause pants got caught up.

#110 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

I got my Douglas leg guards returned to me yesterday.

Jeff did make some modifications that I will post (pictures) on here in the next day or two.

#111 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

John...  we're still waiting for those pictures!

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#112 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

John...  we're still waiting for those pictures!

Funny you should bring it up now. I actually have to send my leg guards down to get fixed. Something came loose near the ankle plates.

#113 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

Well, John, when you get them back, we'd like to see some pictures!

(I couldn't stop laughing the whole time I typed this.)

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#114 VAUmp

VAUmp
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 19-January 13
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

$170 for shin guards is absurd!

2014 Games:  

• Varsity: 2
  • JV: 2
  • TOTAL: 4

#115 acpar72

acpar72
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Joined 29-July 12

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

Wow.  And I remember the reaction I received on here when I mentioned they were not very well built. 

#116 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

$170 for shin guards is absurd!

In business school, I had a professor guy who called that "strategic [sales] volume control."

̶ Bob Uecker

#117 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

I love my Douglas gear. I have a 13-inch factory fresh last generation black CP sitting in the closet unused. I have a 12-inch black CP customized with T-hooks and slots and fitted with an All-Star Delta Flex harness. It fits beautifully, is crazy comfortable and very sleek. And I have the shins I acquired with the 12-inch. 

The shins are awesome. They are every bit as protective as the Wilson Golds (very similar design and coverage) but markedly lighter and more comfortable. Once I got them refurbished by Douglas (new hooks, eyes, straps and cleaned and repaired pads), they were my go-to shins for the highest-velocity pitching. That being said, I acquired them for $20, and refurbished them for $40. So for $60, they are truly remarkable. For as much as $40-to-$50 more, they'd still be great. For $100 more than I paid, I don't see it. I'd buy a pair of Bauers, a pair of Wilson Golds, and I'd still have enough left over to buy a new pair of poly-wools.   

̶ Bob Uecker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users