Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,516 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

Cajun:
With the texas heat, I would go with the all star, never tried it but I know my gold in the florida heat is killer.

I don't like the way the All Star looks. I have a Champro Pro-Plus <acronym title='Chest protector'>CP </acronym>and it is Hot at hell!!! The foam padding soaks up the sweat and ends up weighing a lot. With Dixie and Little leagues starting up next week its going to be HOT and time to get beat up because the catchers can't catch.

What don't you like about it?

The foam padding, it's thick and bulky, I took a shot to the shoulder coller bone area an it really hurt. I sweat a lot and after about 3 games even with using Lysal it is still stinking. It is not going to last and I'm ready to upgrade.

??? What All-Star CP are you talking about?

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#42 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

UmpNation Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 9,002 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

??? What All-Star CP are you talking about?

I think hes talking about the Champro :shrug:

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 40

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          45

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#43 Chris Hickman

Chris Hickman
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

The funny thing is that besides the added cap on the leg guards Douglas changed NOTHING on their equipment. I think the slight gap near the shoulders is not a be deal. With the exception of the All Star, there has not been a significant change in CP design in nearly 20 years. We will see what Wilson comes up with in 2013.

#44 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

??? What All-Star <acronym title='Chest protector'>CP </acronym>are you talking about?

I think hes talking about the Champro :shrug:

Yes that's what is was talking about. I thought that's what he was asking about.

As for the Allstar, it looks like your odd under a shirt to me

#45 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, Mid-America Umpires

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

You would use it at any speed until you get drilled at 90-plus in the gap between the shoulder and clavicle plates. Then, you wouldn't.

I'll take my chances. It fits me well and protects fine.

#46 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

The funny thing is that besides the added cap on the leg guards Douglas changed NOTHING on their equipment. I think the slight gap near the shoulders is not a be deal. With the exception of the All Star, there has not been a significant change in <acronym title='Chest protector'>CP </acronym>design in nearly 20 years. We will see what Wilson comes up with in 2013.

For $20 you can get that gap covered and then you your be investable!!!

The real funny thing is we all spend all this money on wear to protect ourselves and is it just be or does the ball always find the least protected spot. Maybe those are just the once I remember. LOL :-)

#47 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

You would use it at any speed until you get drilled at 90-plus in the gap between the shoulder and clavicle plates. Then, you wouldn't.

I guess you don't digest useful information very readily. As with any intractable person, I wish you all the luck in the world, because you need more luck than a pliant, reasonable person.

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#48 Haid D' Salaami

Haid D' Salaami
  • Members
  • 1,268 posts
  • Joined 30-November 11

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Are you planning to offer a retrofitted model with the shoulder gap covered up?

Also, where in Houston are you?

that gap is the least of your concern.. i have a douglas..and if a ball hits that gap, it is not big enough to do anything..a ball is al most 4in in diameter?.. so if the gap is less than a inch...I have a douglas, and you could pay me to get rid of it.. heck i might buy another one..

#49 Haid D' Salaami

Haid D' Salaami
  • Members
  • 1,268 posts
  • Joined 30-November 11

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm with KF. It's a shame that they did not address the shoulder protection issue. I wouldn't wear one if it was free just because of that.

I wore on last night and every night i work the dish, and I see in DI some 90's... I have been hit, but like i just said in the last post, that gap is too small to worry about.

#50 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,516 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'm with KF. It's a shame that they did not address the shoulder protection issue. I wouldn't wear one if it was free just because of that.

I wore on last night and every night i work the dish, and I see in DI some 90's... I have been hit, but like i just said in the last post, that gap is too small to worry about.

That's great for you. I haven't been hit either, and I had Jeff Cook tighten my gaps. But, KF received quite the stinger in that area. That said, facts are facts and it "can" happen ... Will it happen to you, or me, or anyone else? Maybe not, but it certainly can ....Let's use a Mythbusters term ..."plausible" ;)

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#51 FranklinT

FranklinT
  • Members
  • 494 posts
  • Joined 17-October 09

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Would also buy the Shin Guards but wow I can't afford that price right now!

What is it with Shin Guards lately and their prices???? :no:

I dont get it either. I dont get how the black Wilson shin guards go for around $100 (which isnt a bad price when you think about it - Im on my 6th year with them I think and they are going strong) and these and the All-Star ones are around that $170 mark. I understand the made in USA thing, but they arent they just assembling those in the USA?

Jim Wolf trusts his @ the MLB level............

#52 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

I guess you don't digest useful information very readily. As with any intractable person, I wish you all the luck in the world, because you need more luck than a pliant, reasonable person.

Useful to you doesn't always mean it's right for everyone. You deal in absolutes far too much. You do like the attention though, considering there is a nine page thread about your silly bucket.

#53 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Same here.

Maybe there's just a few with a bit larger gap out there.

#54 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,516 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Same here.

Maybe there's just a few with a bit larger gap out there.

Matt,
True. There are, I'm sure. The best way to help this without getting the gaps is simply telling Jeff Cook you want your CP built with the shoulder pads as tight to the collarbone plate as possible without hingering motion :D

Jeff

#55 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,516 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Useful to you doesn't always mean it's right for everyone. You deal in absolutes far too much. You do like the attention though, considering there is a nine page thread about your silly bucket.

ZM...
you do realize that SOMEONE ELSE asked Kevin to post about his bucket don't you?

Jeff

#56 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

ZM...
you do realize that SOMEONE ELSE asked Kevin to post about his bucket don't you?

Yes, because he brought it up in the first place.

#57 MidAmUmp

MidAmUmp
  • Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Joined 04-May 09
  • LocationAurora, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, SCUA, MAU

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

ZM...

Is that my boy stirring the pot?!?!?!
Mid-American Umpire Clinic
www.midamericanumpireclinic.com

#58 jkumpire

jkumpire
  • Members
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 26-April 10
  • LocationNearest Baseball Field, preferably with a dressing room or convenient tree

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Jeff,

I had an original Douglas West Vest. What are the differences between this model and the original?

I doubt I buy one, I have two Carluccis that I am privileged to own and use, but you never know!

Thanks!

What I can't see I call by sound or don't worry about. :nod:

#59 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Jeff,

I had an original Douglas West Vest. What are the differences between this model and the original?

I doubt I buy one, I have two Carluccis that I am privileged to own and use, but you never know!

Thanks!

I've only got one... :notworthy:

#60 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

ZM...

Is that my boy stirring the pot?!?!?!

Just a little. I get cranky with people who whine about other people's choice of chest protector.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users