JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 10,164 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and Ump Nation

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Can someone enlighten me? What makes the Douglas so awesomely awesome?

Dix,
Douglas was the first to team up with Joe West, and ...made the very first West Vest (gold) with JW. You'll find from time to time on eBay, a "West Vest by Douglas" ...this is virtually the original, and it's basically what you see today but just better (w/ more up to date schtuff). it's proven, it's streamline, low profile, and comfy. AND ...it doesn't have a huge stupid W in the middle of it. :D

Here is a pic of my WV Douglas I recently resold on eBay.

Posted Image

Rolando, why white? Why not gray?

White was all he had at the time. I kinda liked it because it gave it a Unique look.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#22 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,335 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

The Douglas is a pretty cool rig. I really like it. It's light, sleek, and comfortable---after it's broken in. (And it doesn't break in very easily.)

Also, unless you actually modify it like Fittske and Rolo did, the thinner pads and that shoulder gap make it a little dangerous at 85 or above. I use it as an alternate, but if you do games with higher velocity pitching, I'd go with the Gold.

In combination ? Or, are you saying everywhere the padding is too thin?

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#23 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,774 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

For me it's just the shoulder gap area.

I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

"The pressure is a privilege."

#24 boyinr

boyinr
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Joined 29-March 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

I have a Douglas and really like it. For the levels that I work I wear it, along with the System 7 or the Gold as the mood strikes me. It is light and very low profile but the System 7 is cooler and almost as sleek. I am glad they are back although this likely trashes the value of my black model. JaxRolo sold at the peak!!
"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

#25 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 10,164 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I have a Douglas and really like it. For the levels that I work I wear it, along with the System 7 or the Gold as the mood strikes me. It is light and very low profile but the System 7 is cooler and almost as sleek. I am glad they are back although this likely trashes the value of my black model. JaxRolo sold at the peak!!

Just a reminder! $281 :yippie:

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#26 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

I'm glad I sold all my nice ones last year, and kept my not so pretty ones for my kids. Those nice ones financed a lot of gear and clothes for my Junior umpire. Same with my navy plate coats, and SUL mask.

#27 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

Now I'm glad I didn't put my Douglas on eBay last night like I was considering...this would have dropped the value considerably.

#28 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,774 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Now I'm glad I didn't put my Douglas on eBay last night like I was considering...this would have dropped the value considerably.

Yep, very lucky.

#29 UmpTTS43

UmpTTS43
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Joined 05-January 09
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'm with KF. It's a shame that they did not address the shoulder protection issue. I wouldn't wear one if it was free just because of that.

#30 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

For an extra $20 Jeff said you can add the shoulder gap protection.

I'm trying to deside between the Wilson Gold and the Douglas Cest with the extra gap plate. What do y'all think. I'm leaning tord the Douglas made in the US and right next door in Texas!!!

#31 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 10,164 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'm trying to deside between the Wilson Gold and the Douglas Cest with the extra gap plate. What do y'all think. I'm leaning tord the Douglas made in the US and right next door in Texas!!!

When I ordered mine today I asked Jeff to add the Pads.

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#32 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm Scared to order it because my wife my kill me and I would never get to use it. But it's the second to the last thing I want but it is exspencive.... Hmm I'm going to thing about it over night...

#33 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,774 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Wait a bit and see who has all jumped on it and read their reviews. Sometimes not being first is okay.

#34 T-Rav

T-Rav
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Joined 10-May 10
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Your Association Name :FHSAA BBUA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Cajun:
With the texas heat, I would go with the all star, never tried it but I know my gold in the florida heat is killer.

#35 zm1283

zm1283
  • Members
  • 1,517 posts
  • Joined 17-March 09
  • LocationOzark, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, Mid-America Umpires

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

The All Star is a sweet rig but it just sits up too high for me. It almost looks like you have no neck.

I would trust my Douglas at any velocity. I have worn the Platinum and Gold, and while they are great protectors, they are definitely made for bigger people. I couldn't get either one of them to stay up high enough, and both made me look like Clay Matthews.

The only thing I would use over my Douglas is a Riddell Power (If I could ever get the chance to use one).

#36 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

You would use it at any speed until you get drilled at 90-plus in the gap between the shoulder and clavicle plates. Then, you wouldn't.

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#37 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,335 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

I'm Scared to order it because my wife my kill me and I would never get to use it. But it's the second to the last thing I want but it is exspencive.... Hmm I'm going to thing about it over night...

It's easy Cajun, ...
Tell her "fine, that's ok .... I'll take a baseball to the heart with inadequate protection to save a couple bucks, ...don't worry , I'll be fine" THAT might do it!

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#38 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Cajun:
With the texas heat, I would go with the all star, never tried it but I know my gold in the florida heat is killer.

I don't like the way the All Star looks. I have a Champro Pro-Plus CP and it is Hot at hell!!! The foam padding soaks up the sweat and ends up weighing a lot. With Dixie and Little leagues starting up next week its going to be HOT and time to get beat up because the catchers can't catch.

#39 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,335 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Cajun:

I don't like the way the All Star looks. I have a Champro Pro-Plus CP and it is Hot at hell!!! The foam padding soaks up the sweat and ends up weighing a lot. With Dixie and Little leagues starting up next week its going to be HOT and time to get beat up because the catchers can't catch.

What don't you like about it?

Jeff

#40 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Cajun:

I don't like the way the All Star looks. I have a Champro Pro-Plus <acronym title='Chest protector'>CP </acronym>and it is Hot at hell!!! The foam padding soaks up the sweat and ends up weighing a lot. With Dixie and Little leagues starting up next week its going to be HOT and time to get beat up because the catchers can't catch.

What don't you like about it?

The foam padding, it's thick and bulky, I took a shot to the shoulder coller bone area an it really hurt. I sweat a lot and after about 3 games even with using Lysal it is still stinking. It is not going to last and I'm ready to upgrade.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users