116 replies to this topic

#1 DOUGLAS

DOUGLAS
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 27-March 12
  • Your Association Name :AEMA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

Douglas Pads & Sports would like to re-introduce its line of Umpire Chest Protectors, and Shin Guards.

As a leader in manufacturing one of the leading lines of custom football shoulder pads for NFL, NCAA and thousands of high school teams world wide, we put that knowledge, design technology, and craftsmanship into our line of umpire gear.
We are proud that our line of umpire gear is MADE IN THE USA, for an American Sport.

The same quality, craftsmanship, and protection, Made in the U.S.A., as the previous versions of Douglas Chest Protectors and Shin Guards.

The new 2012 models are now manufactured with Gray Plastic, Navy Blue Cushions and Black Trim. See pictures below.

They come with one of the industry's best warranties, of 1 year on parts and craftsmanship.

You can now purchase these Umpire Chest Protectors and Shin Guards in the following sizes:

Chest Protector Sizes: 12", 13", 15"
Weight: 2.7lbs-3lbs Each

Shin Guard Sizes: 16", 17", 18", 19" 20"
Weight: 1.85lbs-2.5lbs Each leg

Cost for Chest Protectors are $159.99 plus tax and shipping

Cost for Shin Guards are $169.99 plus tax and shipping

Let this be the last Chest Protector, and set of Shin Guards you will ever need to purchase!

You can purchase these items by calling Douglas at 713-697-9787, or emailing directly to jeffcook@douglaspads.com

Attached Files

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,698 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Welcome back to the game!
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#3 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

WOW !!!!!!!!!!

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#4 sdix00

sdix00
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Joined 11-November 10
  • LocationMoreno Valley, CA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Let this be the last Chest Protector, and set of Shin Guards you will ever need to purchase!

:spit:

Who do you think you are talking too, here?
:rolleyes:

"Good call Blue!!"

shut_up_baby_futurama.gif

#5 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

You know why they say that don't you?

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#6 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Are you planning to offer a retrofitted model with the shoulder gap covered up?

Also, where in Houston are you?
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#7 yawetag

yawetag
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :GSLAU

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

There's only one reason I can think of, and it's too morbid to really think about it.
Andrew Senger
MSHSAA Certified Baseball Umpire
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

#8 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

There's only one reason I can think of, and it's too morbid to really think about it.

You're funny Andrew...
No, it's because when your Douglas stuff gets "crappy" and old, ...you can send them in for refurbishing!

Jeff

#9 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 9,964 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and Ump Nation

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Nice!!! Just emailed Jeff with an order!

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#10 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Because you need one, right?!

Jeff

#11 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Well shoot I was just going to order the All Star as soon as Warren sent me my Ump Attire discount code but now I'm not sure.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#12 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 9,964 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Because you need one, right?!

YES I NEED ONE!!! :smachhead: :no: :bang: :crazy: :HS :eek:

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#13 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 9,964 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Well shoot I was just going to order the All Star as soon as Warren sent me my Ump Attire discount code but now I'm not sure.

Same here! Almost pulled the trigger on the All-Star!!!

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#14 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 9,964 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Would also buy the Shin Guards but wow I can't afford that price right now!

What is it with Shin Guards lately and their prices???? :no:

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#15 sdix00

sdix00
  • Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • Joined 11-November 10
  • LocationMoreno Valley, CA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Can someone enlighten me? What makes the Douglas so awesomely awesome?

"Good call Blue!!"

shut_up_baby_futurama.gif

#16 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Dix,
Douglas was the first to team up with Joe West, and ...made the very first West Vest (gold) with JW. You'll find from time to time on eBay, a "West Vest by Douglas" ...this is virtually the original, and it's basically what you see today but just better (w/ more up to date schtuff). it's proven, it's streamline, low profile, and comfy. AND ...it doesn't have a huge stupid W in the middle of it. :D

Jeff

#17 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • 1,578 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

I've got a West Vest by Douglas, and have had several. They're fine, and I sleep well know my Junior umpires are protected by these rigs.

I still like the collarbone protection of my Platinum best.

Part of the allure of the Douglas, Riddell, +POS SUL, Carlucci, etc. is their rarity. It's not that they're magical, or that much better than current rigs. There's a cool factor that they have.

It's great that Douglas is putting this solid piece of gear back on the Market. Every protector is sized differently, so I'm sure these will appeal to a lot folks who may not like the WV or All Star. It's a great option.

#18 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 9,964 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Dix,
Douglas was the first to team up with Joe West, and ...made the very first West Vest (gold) with JW. You'll find from time to time on eBay, a "West Vest by Douglas" ...this is virtually the original, and it's basically what you see today but just better (w/ more up to date schtuff). it's proven, it's streamline, low profile, and comfy. AND ...it doesn't have a huge stupid W in the middle of it. :D

Here is a pic of my WV Douglas I recently resold on eBay.

Posted Image

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#19 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Dix,

Here is a pic of my WV Douglas I recently resold on eBay.

Posted Image

Rolando, why white? Why not gray?

Jeff

#20 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

The Douglas is a pretty cool rig. I really like it. It's light, sleek, and comfortable---after it's broken in. (And it doesn't break in very easily.)

Now, unless you actually modify it like Fittske and Rolo did, the thinner pads and that shoulder gap make it a little dangerous at 85 or above. I use it as an alternate for standard high school and standard men's leagues. But if you do games with higher velocity pitching, I'd go with the Gold, or as some are recommending, the System Seven.

I saw my first Douglas on ebay and grabbed it largely due to its mystique and its ridiculously low auction price ($42). (I also got the shins for $20 more.) I grabbed another new CP from Douglas a couple of years back when Thunder found out they could make a few dozen more. That one was also somewhat of a bargain ($100).

I will say that I'm glad I got the black ones. And I'm glad I didn't have to pay $160. Geez, I paid $140 for two.

Would also buy the Shin Guards but wow I can't afford that price right now!

What is it with Shin Guards lately and their prices???? :no:

Good grief! A buck-seventy for shin guards? Come on, now, Douglas! How could that possibly be worth it? Are they self-cleaning?

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users