LOOOONG games, how to keep positive and focused

cyclonehokiece
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4392 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

How do you guys deal with long games. I was in a USSSA championship game (no time limit, ugh) where there wasn't much pitching left, and even with a larger strike zone, they couldn't hit it. Eventually, it was called a tie as it kept going back and forth and fog rolled in making playing unsafe. However, I kept losing focus, as well as my partner (I could see his boredom on the field as I had the dish), and by the end, my attitude wasn't the greatest. Any tips on how to maintain focus and a positive attitude would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to play little mind games with myself to keep me involved. Obviously its easier to do from behind the plate than on the bases, but I'll say I'm going to concentrate on timing or I'm going to try a new strike mechanic, or even see how far I can expand the zone before getting grief. On the bases, I might say when I come in I'm going to work n my pivot or I'm going to go to a square hands on knees or a modified scissors HOK position. See how close in I can get on B/C before feeling really uncomfortable.

I also give myself little pep talks. I need to get 9 more outs, that's all 9 outs. Okay only 8 more outs...

Its really tough,

Mechanically, pick one area that is going to be your focus for the duration of the game. Concentrate on doing that perfectly every single pitch. That is the big one for development.

Other ways to pass the time: tinker with strike calls and plate stances. Chat up the catchers. Scout the stands for hot moms.