Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,830 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

For those who aren't aware, ...the night sky has more than just stars and constellations to view...there are also 5 planets viewable with the naked eye. This month, Venus and Jupiter have been putting on quite a show right after sunset in the West sky ....be sure to check it out!
http://www.space.com...onjunction.html

Posted Image

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#2 yawetag

yawetag
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :GSLAU

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Jeff, thanks a lot! My 5-year-old son loves looking at the stars. When we were in Cincinnati this past weekend, we noticed the two "big stars" next to each other and assumed they were planets. I thought Mars and Venus, but never checked online to double-check. Now I know!
Andrew Senger
MSHSAA Certified Baseball Umpire
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

#3 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,830 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Jeff, thanks a lot! My 5-year-old son loves looking at the stars. When we were in Cincinnati this past weekend, we noticed the two "big stars" next to each other and assumed they were planets. I thought Mars and Venus, but never checked online to double-check. Now I know!

My pleasure!
For Mars, you have 2 options. 1) Go look in the EAST at the same angle in the sky for Mars (same time you're looking at Venus and Jupiter) ... the stable , non blinking, reddish dot is Mars. 2) If your'e an early riser, around 5-7am, you can see Mars in the same spot you're view Venus and Jupiter :D

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#4 BT_Blue

BT_Blue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09
  • LocationSalmon Creek, WA
  • Your Association Name :NCUA, EBUA, EFOA, PBUA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

I noticed the two bright stars in the sky last week when it was nice outside. Sadly we havent been able to see them since because of a series of storms that has flowed through the Pacific NW over the last week. I think we only had blue in the sky for about a hour or two total this entire week (with that said, we have had a total of THREE high school games played this week... all three were a week ago tomorrow).
Quit or get better!

Arik
EBUA, EFOA, NCUA, PBUA

#5 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

Cool thanks, now I can tell the boy scouts at our camp out this weekend and sound like I know something about the stars.

#6 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,830 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Cool thanks, now I can tell the boy scouts at our camp out this weekend and sound like I know something about the stars.

PLANETS

Jeff

#7 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

PLANETS

Y'all can really be picky about wording around here! I was thinking I would point out that those are Planets and not stars.....

#8 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,830 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

PLANETS

Y'all can really be picky about wording around here! I was thinking I would point out that those are Planets and not stars.....

Relax, I'm not being picky. Big difference between starst and planets. I noticed what you said, and wanted to clarify because you'd feel pretty stupid calling Venus and Jupiter stars at your Boy Scouts camp, ... right? :wave:

Jeff

#9 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

PLANETS

Relax, I'm not being picky. Big difference between starst and planets. I noticed what you said, and wanted to clarify because you'd feel pretty stupid calling Venus and Jupiter stars at your Boy Scouts camp, ... right? :wave:

One thing I forget to keep in mind is that you guys only know me from what I post on this site.

I always point out to my boys the stars and the planets. I tell them that planets don't swinkal like stars.

This weekend is the state of Louisiana Boy Scouts Cuboree.... I may need to put all my gear on all weekend to survive this!!!

#10 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

General Joykiller

• Premium Members
  • 9,414 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

PLANETS

People just see your weakness being so defensive all the time so they test you.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 40

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          45

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

1 user(s) are reading this topic