Photo
- - - - -

Pitcher can hit how many batters before pulled?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Haenni

Mark Haenni
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 03-June 10

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

What do the National Federation of Baseball Rules state regarding: How many times can a pitcher hit batters before being pulled from the mound? And are they still allowed to play outfield/bat?

#2 Rich Ives

Rich Ives
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Joined 09-May 10

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

What do the National Federation of Baseball Rules state regarding: How many times can a pitcher hit batters before being pulled from the mound? And are they still allowed to play outfield/bat?

There is no limit.

The second Q is thus moot.

#3 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,125 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:49 PM

He can hit all he wants until the ump believes it to be intentional. Then he's not doing anything.

Warren

#4 Stan W.

Stan W.

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,819 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

As said above......a pitcher can hit the whole team as long as you determine it not intentional......

the "rule" that you can only hit a batter a certain number of times before beng pulled is usually a local rule in youth ball that does not follow on to levels where the pitchers are expected to have enough control to avoid plunking batters.....

#5 FVBump

FVBump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Joined 03-June 10

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

As said above......a pitcher can hit the whole team as long as you determine it not intentional......

the "rule" that you can only hit a batter a certain number of times before beng pulled is usually a local rule in youth ball that does not follow on to levels where the pitchers are expected to have enough control to avoid plunking batters.....

Agreed. Local rule.

#6 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

NFHS is mute on the point. The manager usually has a pretty quick pull for multible hits. I watched a game tonight, OBR and adults, they had at last 9 hit batters, three pitchers for the same team. One batter was hit three times.
Posted Image

#7 TNCoach

TNCoach
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 16-April 10
  • LocationLimestone, TN
  • Your Association Name :Smokey Mountain Umpire Assoc.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

This got me one time. I was PU doing a LL softball game back 8 or 9 years ago. Girl hits three batters in an inning. This league was notorious for bad pitching in softball. I forget what the level was called, but it seems like they put age groups together to field the teams. They had 4 teams. One team had a great pitcher. The other teams used someone who they tried to turn into a pitcher. It was so bad, that one local rule was a last batter rule where the last batter was announced and all that like some leagues do in T-Ball. It was so bad that usually if a team did not have the last batter come up to the plate once in a game, that team would lose.

Anyways, the girl on a team hits 3 batters in an inning. I sent her to first just like the others. Now mind you, the ball bounced and hit each of the three batters. It wasn't as if she was intentionally throwing at batters. Well, guess what! This league had a local rule that was never given to me. The OC came out and argued because I didn't remove her from pitcher. I explained to him that I had never been given a list of local rules and if that were a rule, I still had nothing saying it was. I then asked him why he would want me to change their pitcher when she had not thrown a strike all night. The DC came out and I asked him about the rule. He said it was a local rule, so I asked him to remove her. They put in a girl who had never pitched in her life. She threw enough strikes to get the win. The other girl would have never done that.

#8 yawetag

yawetag
  • Members
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :GSLAU

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:36 PM

The OC came out and argued because I didn't remove her from pitcher. I explained to him that I had never been given a list of local rules and if that were a rule, I still had nothing saying it was. I then asked him why he would want me to change their pitcher when she had not thrown a strike all night. The DC came out and I asked him about the rule. He said it was a local rule, so I asked him to remove her.

The OC says it's a rule and you don't believe him. The DC says it is and you believe him? That doesn't make sense.

In this instance, I may ask a coach for a copy of the rules. If none are available, I'll rule it according to the rule set they are using.
Andrew Senger
MSHSAA Certified Baseball Umpire
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

#9 Rich Ives

Rich Ives
  • Members
  • 2,910 posts
  • Joined 09-May 10

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

The OC says it's a rule and you don't believe him. The DC says it is and you believe him? That doesn't make sense.

Sure it makes sense. If BOTH agree it's probably true, but you don't know they both agree until you check behind door number 2.

#10 txump81

txump81
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 19-May 10
  • LocationGulf Coast of Texas

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

Sure it makes sense. If BOTH agree it's probably true, but you don't know they both agree until you check behind door number 2.

I agree with Rich. If both agree, it's most likely true. Especially if the DC has no other "pitchers" and has to pull his ace.

#11 TNCoach

TNCoach
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 16-April 10
  • LocationLimestone, TN
  • Your Association Name :Smokey Mountain Umpire Assoc.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

Exactly. I hadn't received the local rules. Didn't know to ask for them because it was my first season umpiring. If they disagreed, I was going to send for the administrator of the park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users