(null)

#42 Cajuncubsfan

Cajuncubsfan
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 11

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I got this indicator last year and I love it.

(null)

#43 BT_Blue

BT_Blue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09
  • LocationSalmon Creek, WA
  • Your Association Name :NCUA, EBUA, EFOA, PBUA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:08 AM

I do the same. If the scoreboard works I wont even give the count unless I notice that it is wrong several times. With that said, Its pinky-ring-middle for the three...

Edited by BT_Blue, 21 February 2012 - 03:14 AM.

Quit or get better!

Arik
EBUA, EFOA, NCUA, PBUA

#44 jkumpire

jkumpire
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 26-April 10
  • LocationNearest Baseball Field, preferably with a dressing room or convenient tree

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

For those of you who like metal indicators, the best ones are the old ones. Dump that 4 position thing and get on ebay and buy yourself an old metal indicator. None on there as of now, but they show up on a fairly regular basis.

What I can't see I call by sound or don't worry about. :nod:

#45 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

General Joykiller

• Premium Members
  • 9,473 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

For my last 3 games I have not used an indicator at all and I really like it. Bye-bye clickers! :wave:

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 40

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          45

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#46 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

How did I lose track of this thread?

The indicator Hawk and Pete and I use and love is now available at Ump Attire and also at Lester's Upstate Sports which is where I got mine. It's all-metal, right down to the wheels, and has a chrome finish. It bears the All-Star brand. I bought three of them, so I can have one in the car and two in the bag. I also carry an old Markwort to lend to a needy partner.

I love working it in a pocket in my ball bag, because it is so heavy, it never flies out. (Once I stopped holding a previous indicator in my hand and started working it out of my ball bag, I never looked back. Now, I would never hold it in my hand again, especially since it's readable without taking it out.)

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#47 mtnump

mtnump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Joined 20-April 11
  • LocationGypsum, CO
  • Your Association Name :Colorado High School Baseball Umpires Association Area 16

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I was taught a couple years ago to use the index, middle, and pinky fingers (holding indicator between thumb and ring finger. Reasoning behind that was apparently when I was younger, the way I did it then (index, middle, ring) made it look like my fingers were just bunched together.

This is how I have always done it. Our advanced clinic however teaches middle, ring, pinky.

No fist for 3-2 and definitely no "hook 'em horns" for any reason - ever!

#48 BT_Blue

BT_Blue
  • Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09
  • LocationSalmon Creek, WA
  • Your Association Name :NCUA, EBUA, EFOA, PBUA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

I was taught a couple years ago to use the index, middle, and pinky fingers (holding indicator between thumb and ring finger. Reasoning behind that was apparently when I was younger, the way I did it then (index, middle, ring) made it look like my fingers were just bunched together.

This is how I have always done it. Our advanced clinic however teaches middle, ring, pinky.

No fist for 3-2 and definitely no "hook 'em horns" for any reason - ever!

Our trainer does the horns for two outs. I always have issues with this cause, damn it, it looks like one
Quit or get better!

Arik
EBUA, EFOA, NCUA, PBUA

#49 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

If the trainer isn't watching you, are you really NOT doing what he says?

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#50 Rich Ives

Rich Ives
  • Members
  • 2,875 posts
  • Joined 09-May 10

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

When I had hand surgery the Dr explained how the hand works. Onre thing is that the ring and pinky fingers are not totally independent of each other when it come to moving them. That's why one has to use the thumb to hold the pinky down when trying to signal 3 or to give a scout sign/salute.

Therefore signaling 3 with middle-ring-pinky is physically easier.

How do BB refs signal a three point shot? The ones I've actuall noticed use middle-ring-pinky.

I coach. I have to consider the situation from both sides - offense and defense.

#51 Mr Umpire

Mr Umpire

Article Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts
  • Joined 20-January 09
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

For my last 3 games I have not used an indicator at all and I really like it. Bye-bye clickers! :wave:

I haven't used one for about the past 3 years. I forget the count far less than before. One less thing to remember when a play at the plate is occurring.
Question everything until you get an irrefutable or understandable answer...Don't settle for "That's Just the Way it is"

#52 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

I have in that ball bag and the wheels get clicked almost automatically. It's become second nature. It's as close to not using one as I can get. But for the foreseeable future, I'm going to use one--mainly because I have $45 worth of All-Star indicators that I'd be stuck with.

̶ Bob Uecker

#53 semperfiguy

semperfiguy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Im in camp #1. I too use to use the #2 method, and found the later to be not only easier, but much easier to keep your indicator safely in your hand (should you choose to use one, I do).

Balls and strikes baby!!! :wave:

#54 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

How do BB refs signal a three point shot? The ones I've actuall noticed use middle-ring-pinky.

That's how I do it in basketball, football and baseball.

I use the metal Markwort. I've never found a need for notches and while I have and use the inning dial (simply because it is there), that's only because I prefer the shape of the four dial indiclicker.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users