Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,232 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

Any votes for this "alternate" 3-ball signal?

Posted Image

Shocking

LMAO!!!

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#22 midmoump

midmoump
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined 23-February 09

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

I like Jerry Crawford's 0-1 count:

Posted Image
Umpire equipment, apparel and training aid reviews at Midwest Ump

#23 cbiesecker

cbiesecker
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 19-December 11
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA
  • Your Association Name :Delco PIAA Chapter

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

I like Jerry Crawford's 0-1 count:

Posted Image

Now that's the type of real world example that a new umpire can learn from. Excellent!

#24 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,148 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

If you get just a moment with Jerry, you will learn and laugh a lot.

Warren

#25 grayhawk

grayhawk

Almost as good as I think I am

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

That being said, I use--and love--the heaviest, most durable, most expensive all-steel indicator there is:
. Posted Image

Just how heavy is it... :fuel:

I use this indicator as well. I've never weighed it, but I couldn't believe how heavy it was when I got it in the mail. Let's just say this - if you were to hit a coach in the head with it, he would likely be unconscious. It comes notched, and only goes up to 3 balls, 2 strikes and 2 outs - faster to zero out.

2014 Game Count:  High School: 55 | AAU: 0 | Pony: 0 | Little League: 2 | UCLA: 2 | Total: 59

2013 Game Count:  High School: 43 | USSSA: 7 | AAU: 30 | Pony: 11Little League: 17 | UCLA: 1Total: 109

#26 cbiesecker

cbiesecker
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 19-December 11
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA
  • Your Association Name :Delco PIAA Chapter

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think I found the one your referring to. Is it the correct one.

http://www.ump-attir...oduct_Code=UC5-BC&Category_Code=UMPIRE-INDICATORS&Product_Count=0

grayhawk, do you hold on to it or leave it in your bag?

#27 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

I hadn't seen that indicator before, I like it. I always liked the heavier feel but they always had the 4 balls and three strikes. I may have to order this.
Posted Image

#28 midmoump

midmoump
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined 23-February 09

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

That being said, I use--and love--the heaviest, most durable, most expensive all-steel indicator there is:
. Posted Image

Just how heavy is it... :fuel:

I use this indicator as well. I've never weighed it, but I couldn't believe how heavy it was when I got it in the mail. Let's just say this - if you were to hit a coach in the head with it, he would likely be unconscious. It comes notched, and only goes up to 3 balls, 2 strikes and 2 outs - faster to zero out.

I use it also. It is heavy, hurts your fingers, and will blind you when the sun reflects off of it.

Pete
Umpire equipment, apparel and training aid reviews at Midwest Ump

#29 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

My only complaint is the balls and strikes are backwards.
Posted Image

#30 grayhawk

grayhawk

• Members
  • 3,721 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

I think I found the one your referring to. Is it the correct one.

http://www.ump-attir...oduct_Code=UC5-BC&Category_Code=UMPIRE-INDICATORS&Product_Count=0

grayhawk, do you hold on to it or leave it in your bag?

I hold onto it. I also use the middle, ring and pinkie to show 3 balls. Not sure why I would keep it in my ball bag - seems like a pain to have to reach in to update it between pitches. With the notches, I don't have to look at it. I know the count most of the time, but if someone asks and I want to refer to it, a quick squeeze of the fingers and I have it. I give the count pretty often, starting with the second pitch of the at-bat all the way to 3-2. I probably give it too often, but it keeps it fresh in my mind and coaches/players rarely have to ask.

Mike, as far as balls and strikes being backwards - I guess it's what you are used to. I know when I first started, it drove me crazy that the cheap indicators showed srtikes and balls in that order when we give the count the opposite. But since I learned with the cheap ones, it would take some doing to use an indicator that was in the reverse order.

2014 Game Count:  High School: 55 | AAU: 0 | Pony: 0 | Little League: 2 | UCLA: 2 | Total: 59

2013 Game Count:  High School: 43 | USSSA: 7 | AAU: 30 | Pony: 11Little League: 17 | UCLA: 1Total: 109

#31 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

I am in the same boat. I used one like it for years that had 4 balls, 3 strikes but I liked the feel. I finally went to a three ball/two strike counter and had to retrain myself to use it. I could easily go back. Does the notches hurt your fingers?
Posted Image

#32 grayhawk

grayhawk

• Members
  • 3,721 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

I am in the same boat. I used one like it for years that had 4 balls, 3 strikes but I liked the feel. I finally went to a three ball/two strike counter and had to retrain myself to use it. I could easily go back. Does the notches hurt your fingers?

They don't hurt your fingers, but they take some getting used to. The "1" on balls, strikes and outs is kind of sharp, but it makes it easy to "read" it with your fingers. The "2" on balls is unique and the "3" for balls and "2" for strikes feels the same, so it's very clear when the count is full. "0" on both is easy to tell too. It takes a little while to instinctively know the count by feeling it, but when you do, it's a valuable tool.

#33 UMP45

UMP45
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 09-March 08
  • LocationGreensboro,NC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Or you could look at your indicator. :mellow:

#34 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

Or you could look at your indicator. :mellow:

The whole complaint many have with carrying an indicator is guys get enamored with looking at them. I have always advocated notching the wheels so you don't look. This is the first time I have seen one manufactured with notches.
Posted Image

#35 yawetag

yawetag
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :GSLAU

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

They don't hurt your fingers, but they take some getting used to. The "1" on balls, strikes and outs is kind of sharp, but it makes it easy to "read" it with your fingers. The "2" on balls is unique and the "3" for balls and "2" for strikes feels the same, so it's very clear when the count is full. "0" on both is easy to tell too. It takes a little while to instinctively know the count by feeling it, but when you do, it's a valuable tool.

Can you take photos of how all the numbers are notched? I'd love to try it out myself, but have only seen examples of ones notched only on the zeros.
Andrew Senger
MSHSAA Certified Baseball Umpire
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

#36 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

Look at this link. http://www.ump-attir...PIRE-INDICATORS It is on the Ump-Attire site.
Posted Image

#37 grayhawk

grayhawk

• Members
  • 3,721 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Can you take photos of how all the numbers are notched? I'd love to try it out myself, but have only seen examples of ones notched only on the zeros.

Here you go:

#38 noumpere

noumpere
  • Members
  • 4,626 posts
  • Joined 14-April 09

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Oh, if there is another option that I didn't mention, please share it.

little-ring-index (thumb holding down middle)
thumb-index-middle (ring and little held down) - hold your hand at a little outward angle on this one

Ive seen all of the above used

#39 cuban

cuban
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 11-December 10

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Sometimes, if i'm working at a place where I know the score board is going to be worked properly, I don't even give the count unless I'm asked.

#40 OM3

OM3
  • Inactive
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 13-March 10

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm in the minor here I guess.....I use #2 as naturally as breathing.
I'll give #1 a try this season.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users