Is it Always This Terrible?

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4433 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My first full "real" season ended in September (as the schools opened), and the offseason has killed me...

The youth leagues in the primary league I umpire in opened up early registration today, so I got a tiny pink ray over the horizon of the upcoming season and I'm already beyond ready for it.

This unseasonably warm weather so far in Michigan hasn't helped either. :bang:

March 31st can't come soon enough.

How do you guys survive this every year? :notworthy:

I should also just mention the name change... I'll keep it in my signature for a while, but I changed it from "You're Outta Here!" to "mjr_2013" because I don't like the implication that I like ejecting or that I use it a lot... Some may say having it as a display name means nothing, but it kinda bugs me. haha

"mjr_2013" is just a screen name, it doesn't really have to do with umpiring. "mjr" are my initials (Matthew James Riley), and 2013 is the year I graduate high school.

I am going to keep the picture though, for now at least.

I feel ya.

2011 has been a particularly rough year for me in umpiring, between work and an injury I worked the fewest games ever.

Being active here helps. I've done a bit of reading (not as much as I would like) and kept in tune with umpiring as much as I can.

Yes this mild winter (sorry you guys in the southwest right now) has made it tough. Just over a week ago I was wearing shorts, sandles and thinking why can't there be a baseball game somewhere for me.

But I must say I'm handling this much better than other off seasons. I would literally get anxious about not having games, maybe it's a side effect of having such a light year.

2012 will be my comeback year until the world ends in December. :rollinglaugh:

I cope by wearing long sleeves. Although, it gets a little warm by the 3rd game of the day. :HD::fuel:

I know what you mean Dix. I almost broke out my jacket for my third plate on Saturday, but decided I would have been too hot, so I stuck with the short sleeves. It really sucks that there are no more tournies until January 7th. I may have to try and pick up a scrimmage during the holidays so I don't go into withdrawl.

Playing golf in the fall helped but its even too cold for that now.

I tend to accumulate baseball shows, NCAA/MiLB games, etc on my DVR throughout the year and end up watching the ones I missed in the winter (much to my wife's chagrin).

As exciting as it can be, now is a good time to re-read J/R and other rule books. I think it would be kind of cool if we set up a situation/knotty play of the day here on the site for kicks during this s....l...o...w...time of year.

I feel ya.

2011 has been a particularly rough year for me in umpiring, between work and an injury I worked the fewest games ever.

Being active here helps. I've done a bit of reading (not as much as I would like) and kept in tune with umpiring as much as I can.

Yes this mild winter (sorry you guys in the southwest right now) has made it tough. Just over a week ago I was wearing shorts, sandles and thinking why can't there be a baseball game somewhere for me.

But I must say I'm handling this much better than other off seasons. I would literally get anxious about not having games, maybe it's a side effect of having such a light year.

2012 will be my comeback year until the world ends in December. :rollinglaugh:

That's right! A full year from tomorrow we're all going to perish! We all better enjoy this last season!! :shakehead:

I should also just mention the name change... I'll keep it in my signature for a while, but I changed it from "You're Outta Here!" to "mjr_2013" because I don't like the implication that I like ejecting or that I use it a lot... Some may say having it as a display name means nothing, but it kinda bugs me. haha

"mjr_2013" is just a screen name, it doesn't really have to do with umpiring. "mjr" are my initials (Matthew James Riley), and 2013 is the year I graduate high school.

Still looks like you got the toss down-pat! I wouldn't change the avatar...it's a good one. Especially, with a guy that used to have the bad habit of making his way OUT of ballgames in the picture...

I cope by wearing long sleeves. Although, it gets a little warm by the 3rd game of the day. :HD::fuel:

I know what you mean Dix. I almost broke out my jacket for my third plate on Saturday, but decided I would have been too hot, so I stuck with the short sleeves. It really sucks that there are no more tournies until January 7th. I may have to try and pick up a scrimmage during the holidays so I don't go into withdrawl.

If I didn't like your posts and replys as much as I do, and being a snow-bird, I would have had to reply to this in such a way that I surely would have gotten ejected!!! But, instead, I'll just say that I'm one of the envious ones that would love to have your baseball season.

Moreno Valley, CA Average August High: 96 degrees

Waterford, MI Average August High: 80 degrees

We'll see who's laughing then! :lol:

On the other hand, Mr. Laguna Niguel over there should just shut his trap and stop bragging!! :BD:

:smachhead:

Still looks like you got the toss down-pat! I wouldn't change the avatar...it's a good one. Especially, with a guy that used to have the bad habit of making his way OUT of ballgames in the picture...

I like the avatar... Your comment about making his way out of ballgames made me think of the old Aquafina commercial with Lou Pinnella that cracks me up every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZG34Nm3Q9U

If I didn't like your posts and replys as much as I do, and being a snow-bird, I would have had to reply to this in such a way that I surely would have gotten ejected!!! But, instead, I'll just say that I'm one of the envious ones that would love to have your baseball season.

What's a "season"? B) ...

Too far?

Yes we have a season, Gray! We have the Baseball 2011 season. And after my DH I will gear up for the 2012 season, starting on Jan 8th! How I cope with this extensive time off is by watching MiLB Tv online while cleaning my gear. And of course coming on here and talking shop with all of you fine folks!

As for the degree difference I live near Dix, and during the hot summer months we go to the beach and cool off after our DH! You know I have to even out my umpire tan some way! :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even if I could work all year round, I would still take some sort of "off season".................I think one of the things we dont teach very well is knowing when to book off or take a break.....every assignor needs his road warriors, but there is a line between a good schedule and too many games.....

I have seen young guys burn out quick or get in over their heads by taking too man games.....I think an off season is vital......take time off, repair, restore and replace gear or uniforms, get some clinics and training under your belt, condition and study.........

I love my off season and the feeling I get when the season is coming up........

Here in NE Florida we don't work year round but the time we do get off is not to bad. About 2-3 weeks a couple times a year.

Some of us more veterans get to work most of the year with HS and JUCO scrimages during the normal off-season for everyone else.

I don't know if what I wrote made any sense!

• 1 month later...

You year-longers suck...

I've registered, read the rule books, read the manuels, POLISHED THE EQUIPMENT, and still, according to the countdown on my desktop have 55 days, 13 hours, 9 minutes, and 52, 51, 50 seconds until my opening day.

Soooooooooo long...... :banghead::BD:

JUCO ball has started here which means one thing: I wasn't selected to move up to JUCO level this year. :)

High school ball starts the end of March.

I've already worked 3 scrimmages and a JV game. I have 12 games scheduled for the week ahead; 2HS DH and a TC Tournament Sat and Sun. It will be sunny and in the 60's. Gotta love north Texas.

Mike C

You year-longers suck...

I've registered, read the rule books, read the manuels, POLISHED THE EQUIPMENT, and still, according to the countdown on my desktop have 55 days, 13 hours, 9 minutes, and 52, 51, 50 seconds until my opening day.

Our HS regular season will be over by then.

You year-longers suck...

Our HS regular season will be over by then.

Same here!