#41 catsbackr

catsbackr
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Joined 04-April 08
  • LocationSE Tennessee

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

I have worked at many levels and been to clinics with some pretty good pro instructors and I have never heard anything about hat on/hat off. I do teach a mechanic for a slammed hat. If a coach throws his hat down when arguing with you, step on it, turn while on it and toss him. He is now going to pick up a very nasty hat.

Maybe this would work in a Men's League.

I doubt I would try this in high school or college ball. Then again, I really doubt any of the coaches would throw their hats down in high school or college ball here.

Great topic.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."...
Thomas Jefferson

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#42 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

HS is exactly where it happened and I learned the mechanic. Never have had it happen to me so I haven't had to try it. I assure it will be a dirty hat no matter the level.
Posted Image

#43 detailshp

detailshp
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 19-August 10
  • Locationelkhart, indiana

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

What is everyones thoughts on a Coach running out on to the field (not calling time first) to argue a call putout at a base?? Keep in mind, there was another baserunner on at the time.

(I was not working the game, I was watching my sons USSSA Tournament when this happened....)

I actually had this happen last year in a travel ball game. Grounder deep in the hole, runner on second cehating on short to make the putout throw to first base. BR beat the throw. Safe. I managed to cal the play dead by the time coach reached the chalk line. He ended up screwing himself out of a run because I put the runner advancing from second back third because the PU immediately "froze" the runner in his mind when he heard me call time. After coach said his piece ( I did not EJ him ) I walked over to PU and said "you got the runner?" he said yep, he was about 10 feet from home plate, and there was no way a throw was going to nail him. I said I am putting him back on third and he said I got your back 100 percent and that was that.

Next inning , in A position first base coach comes up to me and says what about the kid at third, and I said he would have scored easily, according to my partner. Coach says not the first time that has happened.

If anyone would have done it differently, I am all ears!

#44 LMSANS

LMSANS

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,900 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ
  • Your Association Name :Shore Umpires Association

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

What is everyones thoughts on a Coach running out on to the field (not calling time first) to argue a call putout at a base?? Keep in mind, there was another baserunner on at the time.

(I was not working the game, I was watching my sons USSSA Tournament when this happened....)

I actually had this happen last year in a travel ball game. Grounder deep in the hole, runner on second cehating on short to make the putout throw to first base. BR beat the throw. Safe. I managed to cal the play dead by the time coach reached the chalk line. He ended up screwing himself out of a run because I put the runner advancing from second back third because the PU immediately "froze" the runner in his mind when he heard me call time. After coach said his piece ( I did not EJ him ) I walked over to PU and said "you got the runner?" he said yep, he was about 10 feet from home plate, and there was no way a throw was going to nail him. I said I am putting him back on third and he said I got your back 100 percent and that was that.

Next inning , in A position first base coach comes up to me and says what about the kid at third, and I said he would have scored easily, according to my partner. Coach says not the first time that has happened.

If anyone would have done it differently, I am all ears!

I'm not killing the play while there is still action going on. And then the coach is headed for the parking lot for coming on the field while the ball is still live. He won't even get the courtesy of voicing his concern.

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

#45 midmoump

midmoump
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined 23-February 09

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

I was told of an umpire who called a runner safe at 2B, and the minor league manager sprinted from the dugout waiving his arms and generally acting like an a$$. The umpire waited for the skipper to run all the way out, side-stepped him and tossed him. The manager didn't even get to speak and he was gone.

Sweet.

The OBR states that the umpire shall call time when a manager requests "time" for a substitution, or for a conference with one of his players. Rule 5.10(d) As for coming onto the field during a live ball, the J/R manual and WUM agree that this action should be considered a request for time, but only granted when play ("continuous action") has ceased.

A coach may interfere with a fielder or obstruct a runner. However, we have rules regarding these actions. Simply crossing the lines and causing confusion does not by itself immediately kill a live ball or create a penalty situation.

Pete
Umpire equipment, apparel and training aid reviews at Midwest Ump

#46 MidAmUmp

MidAmUmp
  • Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Joined 04-May 09
  • LocationAurora, MO
  • Your Association Name :CBUA, SCUA, MAU

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

I have worked at many levels and been to clinics with some pretty good pro instructors and I have never heard anything about hat on/hat off. I do teach a mechanic for a slammed hat. If a coach throws his hat down when arguing with you, step on it, turn while on it and toss him. He is now going to pick up a very nasty hat.

Maybe this would work in a Men's League.

I doubt I would try this in high school or college ball. Then again, I really doubt any of the coaches would throw their hats down in high school or college ball here.

Great topic.

I would be careful about stepping on a hat. I know of a college umpire who was reprimanded by a conference for intentionally stepping on a hat during an argument.

As far as hat on/hat off during an argument...The coach/manager needs to have his hat on his head at all times. If he takes it off, warn him, maybe warn him a second time, then eject. It is kind of fun to have a discussion with them - they're upset, and you respond with "put your hat on or I'm not talking to you."

Someone coming on the field during a live ball situation = ejection

Someone sprinting from the dugout to argue = ejection
Mid-American Umpire Clinic
www.midamericanumpireclinic.com

#47 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

That may be true, but I assure you if a manager stupid enough to throw his hat down, it's getting dirty.
Posted Image

#48 JimKirk

JimKirk

Partner

• Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 25-November 08
  • LocationLousivlle, KY

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

Gentleman, while at The Umpire School this January, I was able to see guidelines The School and PBUC teaches its Minor League Umpires (and prospective ones) in regards to removing players, coaches and managers from a game.

Here is a reprint of those very good 10 reasons and guiding principles:
http://goodcallsbase...or-removal.html

Jim Kirk
President/CEO

Score 451 Sports, LLC

#49 BT_Blue

BT_Blue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09
  • LocationSalmon Creek, WA
  • Your Association Name :NCUA, EBUA, EFOA, PBUA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Gentleman, while at The Umpire School this January, I was able to see guidelines The School and PBUC teaches its Minor League Umpires (and prospective ones) in regards to removing players, coaches and managers from a game.

Here is a reprint of those very good 10 reasons and guiding principles:
http://goodcallsbase...or-removal.html

How awesome is it that this board inspired a goodcalls blog. LOL way to go guys.
Quit or get better!

Arik
EBUA, EFOA, NCUA, PBUA

#50 Typhoon

Typhoon
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 28-October 09
  • Your Association Name :Amherstburg Umpires, Windsor District Umpires, KDUA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Speaking of throwing hats, I was at a Detroit Tigers game many years ago when Sparky Anderson came roaring out of the dugout to protest a call. He ranted on for a few minutes and then took his hat off and threw it halfway across the infield and was promptly dumped. Next day the paper quoted Sparky as saying " The umpire told me if that hat touches the ground your gone" It did, and he was.
The only dumb question is one that isn't asked

#51 FranklinT

FranklinT
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Joined 17-October 09

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

The umpire told me if that hat touches the ground your gone" It did, and he was.

See around the 30 second mark...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users