#21 cyclonehokiece

cyclonehokiece
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 23-May 11
  • LocationBaltimore County, MD

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

A year ago, I was accused of having a quick ejection, when I ejected a batter for standing in the batter's box after being called out on strikes, and while leaning on his bat as though it was a cane, looking at me and screaming, "You are fu - - - - - kidding me!" And he highlighted the F-bomb.

I think it was automatic in several different ways: He disputed balls and strikes; he did it in unsportsmanlike fashion; he stood there and showed me up; and he blasted an F-bomb at full volume. It was as automatic as any ejection I ever had. To date, I have asked 43 umpires and several distinguished head coaches if it was automatic. The umpires are from my level or above, including two current and two former MLB umpires, and so far the tally is unanimous.

The guy who called it quick was the owner of the league, who was also the player's manager. He got the other managers to vote to overturn it, so his suspended CF could play in a playoff game. The assignor did nothing but laugh it off. So I did the right thing: I quit his league, telling the owner that I wasn't the kind of umpire his league required. I also told him that he'll be getting the umpiring he deserves.

I don't care what level, that is about as easy of an ejection you ever get handed. (So count me as 45).
RIP, MST

#22 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,966 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

Taken from a thread over on ".org" from 2009 (RSiegel)
1. Intentional physical contact with you connected to a dispute.
2. Kicking or throwing dirt on or at you.
3. Spitting (or simulated spitting) on or at you.
4. Negative criticism of "you" personally, or your partner that he cannot hear.
5. Profanity directed at you personally or at your partner that he cannot hear.
6. Throwing equipment in disgust of you or your call while on the field.
7. Questioning your honesty, your heritage, or your integrity.
8. Drawing a line in the dirt in reaction to a pitch call.
9. Mimicking or mocking your mechanics, your voice, or your vocalizations.
10. Throwing objects from the dugout or bench area onto the field.
11. Leaving one's position to argue balls and strikes.
12. Leaving one's position to start or engage in a fight.
13. Pitcher or fielder doctors the ball.
14. Pitcher intentionally throwing at a batter.
15. Batter or a teammate charges at pitcher.
16. Initiating malicious contact against anyone.
17. Use of tobacco.
18. Reviving an argument from a previous inning or game.
19. Refusing to follow an order to do or refrain from doing anything which affects the administering of the rules.
20. Sarcasm.

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#23 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,654 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

A year ago, I was accused of having a quick ejection, when I ejected a batter for standing in the batter's box after being called out on strikes, and while leaning on his bat as though it was a cane, looking at me and screaming, "You are fu - - - - - kidding me!" And he highlighted the F-bomb.

I think it was automatic in several different ways: He disputed balls and strikes; he did it in unsportsmanlike fashion; he stood there and showed me up; and he blasted an F-bomb at full volume. It was as automatic as any ejection I ever had. To date, I have asked 43 umpires and several distinguished head coaches if it was automatic. The umpires are from my level or above, including two current and two former MLB umpires, and so far the tally is unanimous.

The guy who called it quick was the owner of the league, who was also the player's manager. He got the other managers to vote to overturn it, so his suspended CF could play in a playoff game. The assignor did nothing but laugh it off. So I did the right thing: I quit his league, telling the owner that I wasn't the kind of umpire his league required. I also told him that he'll be getting the umpiring he deserves.

I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#24 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:38 AM

47 and counting. I completely agree that quiting the league is also correct. If the league thinks that you were quick and the assigner laughed off the reinstatement, you gotta go. As I've said many times, we have a good local men's league that is also run by 4 umpires, including myself. An ejection like yours would be an atta boy to you and an,"Are you kidding me?" to the manager dumb enough to call and complain that you were quick.
Posted Image

#25 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

Well, thank you, Michael.

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#26 Jeff C.

Jeff C.
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Joined 25-July 08

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Every day and twice on Sundays. This ej is such a no-brainer. I woulda quit the "league" too.
JC

#27 Haid D' Salaami

Haid D' Salaami
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 30-November 11

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

*taking hat off, and does not put it back on head after warning

I gotta tell ya, that's a new one.

"Listen, Skip, you better put your lid back on. This is your warning"

I can't imagine ever saying that to a grown man.

And I always thought removing ones chapeau was sign of respect, I mean, we all do it after the final putt on the 18th, before shaking hands, right?

Taking his hat off is trying to incite the crowd... "put it back on or were not talking"...I will not EJ.. but we will not talk.

#28 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

I have worked at many levels and been to clinics with some pretty good pro instructors and I have never heard anything about hat on/hat off. I do teach a mechanic for a slammed hat. If a coach throws his hat down when arguing with you, step on it, turn while on it and toss him. He is now going to pick up a very nasty hat.
Posted Image

#29 johnnyg08

johnnyg08
  • Moderators
  • 4,654 posts
  • Joined 13-February 11

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

What if you get "beaked?" That is a hat issue that the old school MLB guys will know about.
I'm not where I need to be, but not where I used to be.

#30 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

I would definitely be more concerned with beaking or turn it backwards to get closer in your face.
Posted Image

#31 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

Taking his hat off is trying to incite the crowd...

Honestly, Mr. Bologna, I've never heard that before. If dofting one's cap is some sort of insult, I'll have to remember that. Now I can see other articles of clothing, for sure. But a hat? I dunno.

#32 Haid D' Salaami

Haid D' Salaami
  • Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 30-November 11

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Honestly, Mr. Bologna, I've never heard that before. If dofting one's cap is some sort of insult, I'll have to remember that. Now I can see other articles of clothing, for sure. But a hat? I dunno.

well him taking his hat off... and just holding it is telling everyone what?... that is is unhappy with your call...Just telling you what i have been taught.

#33 Haid D' Salaami

Haid D' Salaami
  • Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 30-November 11

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

And Mr. Bologna I hate that crap :smachhead:

#34 ump_24

ump_24
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 18-December 09

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:49 AM

What if you get "beaked?" That is a hat issue that the old school MLB guys will know about.

That's considered intentional contact with an umpire and an automatic hook.

If they're going to get that close in a confrontation, they're going to be held responsible for any contact that happens.

#35 UmpJeff

UmpJeff
  • Members
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 13-June 11
  • LocationShelby Township, Michigan

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

48 now...

No question it was an immediate, automatic EJ.

#36 grayhawk

grayhawk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

Are you related to either "I-Zheet M'Drurz" or "Hous Bin Pharteen"?

2014 Game Count:  High School: 45 | AAU: 0 | Pony: 0 | Little League: 2 | UCLA: 2 | Total: 49

2013 Game Count:  High School: 43 | USSSA: 7 | AAU: 30 | Pony: 11Little League: 17 | UCLA: 1Total: 109

#37 Haid D' Salaami

Haid D' Salaami
  • Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 30-November 11

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Are you related to either "I-Zheet M'Drurz" or "Hous Bin Pharteen"?

They are my cousins..LOL

#38 hckyosgood30

hckyosgood30
  • Members
  • 490 posts
  • Joined 11-July 09
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

49! auto eject button would be pushed for me in this situation as well!
At any given moment half the people like you and half of them hate you. Out of the half that hate you only half of them know the rules. So really only 25% of them hate you at any given time.... I like those odds!

#39 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

Thank you!

“Let’s face it: Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.”

̶ Bob Uecker

#40 dumbdumb

dumbdumb
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

Kevin

Since you are doing a men's league, they pretty much know exactly what they are doing when they do their verbal antics or try to show the umpire up. If they do not cuss, they think they can get away with running all over you. They must be aware that you can just as easily get ejected without profanity, just like the example of drawing a line. In the Earl Weaver/Bill Haller case, when Earl comes out and says, you and this crew are out here for one reason, to $$$$ us. Earl could have easily used the word "hose" rather than profanity. He should also be ejected for the word hose. The men's league guys are going to go on and on about how they didn't even cuss and how bad you are for the ejection. Tell them that thinking is a bunch of crapola.

These must be delt with immediately, even if you do not eject. Remember, each side is watching how you handle the other side.

1. Drawing a line. Pointing with the bat several times at the outside corner while the bat is in the air and they are telling you it is outside. Smashing the bat on the plate.
2. Batter backing out on every pitch they think you missed along with shaking their heads, or other body language.
3. Batter putting his hand up at the chest if he thinks the ball is too high.
4. Batter dropping the bat on plate, not picking it up, and continuing on to the dugout on the 1st or 2nd out. Watch out for the bat boy quickly trying to get the bat for him if you tell the batter to pick it up or you are done.
5. Manager or head coach flipping you off with their hands.
6. Coach starting a count of misses they perceive on calls. That's 2 ump.
7. Coach telling you or the team, "well its 11 on 9 tonight guy's and making sure you hear it. Then when you respond, they are going to tell you they were not talking to you. They are trying to make you look bad with their cheap shot loud enough for you to hear. Tell them you don't care if they were talking to a fence post, knock it off.
8. Be ready after telling them to knock it off, for them to call you rabbit ears. Or, "get your head out of our dugout".
9. Be ready for the word "brutal" to come up in the men's league. They will also use the phrase "bare down out there" like your not working hard.
10. Where was that pitch?
11. Call it both ways back there.
12. Catchers picking up dirt to let the coach know you missed a pitch. This is done very subtly and easy to miss. Could be some other signal.
13. Catcher breaking down like he is going to keel over when he thinks you missed a pitch.
14. Catcher getting up slowly and double pumping on throws back to pitcher when he thinks you missed one. There could be other body language the catcher uses for this also.
15. Pitcher scoping pitches from the mound.
16. Pitcher using arm motions sign for the "where was that pitch" verbal phrase.
17. Pitcher yelling in from the mound. Fielders yelling in including outfielders or throwing up their hands on pitches.
18. Pitcher rolling the ball in to you on the ground if he doesn't like your calls when you ask to check the ball.
19. Coach waiting on the mound for you so he can start a ball/strike discussion.
20. Coach wants to come out on every close call. They do not get unlimited trips on close calls. They do not get to question every close call. Do not let them hide behind the "I'm only asking a question" excuse. They know exactly what they are doing, and they know if you dump them, they can loudly tell everyone they were only asking a question and can call the assignor telling them how they didn't cuss and were only asking a question. Once again, these guys know exactly what they are doing.
21. That's a Little League call. Well here's a Little League ejection. Boom.
22. Coach who wants to come on field and touch the ground where they think the ball landed fair foul.
23. On an all dirt field coach going to the outfield to point at spot on the line.
24. Any other coniving tricks they will try and use to show you up and look like innocent choir boys.

Every now and then a quick, "that pitch is low" or high" should not warrant a response. A running commentary, should immediately be delt with.

It is perfectly OK to get ejected if that is what you really want, as that is part of the game. In your manual, tell the manager/coach to just throw his hat in disgust, tell you that you are terrible or that you suck and then leave. Quick, to the point and get off the field after the ejection is OK. Trying to get your money's worth is not OK.

Yes you were correct for dumping the batter. You are very fortunate to have other umpiring alternatives. Many would not be able to feasibly do anything other than quit altogether.

And it is always good to remember the words of Hall of Famer Al Barlick.
"Though it's very bad to eject a player when he shouldn't be ejected, it's far worse to keep someone in the game who should be ejected."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users