Little League Baseball

DirtyDawg
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4835 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is my first year back of doing little league baseball after a couple year stint in upper-girls fastpitch softball. With that being said, would it be a good thing to register with Little League, even though I won't be working as a volunteer ump (at least I don't think so).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first year back of doing little league baseball after a couple year stint in upper-girls fastpitch softball. With that being said, would it be a good thing to register with Little League, even though I won't be working as a volunteer ump (at least I don't think so).

Why not?

Support Little League by registering.

You get rulebook, bat gage, patch.

Access to RIM online.

I work Little League also. Minor, Major, Junior and Senior (when it starts)

I take pay for games.

I also assist scheduling 40 umpires over 5 leagues.

I spend about 2 hours a day doing so. We provide that service at no cost to the leagues, so I volunteer time every day. We presently have scheduled 600 games.

Each umpire was also required to work at least 10 hours, 5 games as a volunteer. A few do all their games as volunteers. So out of the 600 games, we have saved the leagues money by not having to pay for at least 200 games to have umpires at 200 games.

All Umpires must be willing to work all tournament games as a volunteer.

Do what you can to assist you Local Little League.

I wouldn't register with Little League unless that what the league(s) closest to you are registered under. Most of the ones in the area that I'm aware of are Cal Ripken/Jr. Babe. The closest league that is Little League that I'm aware of is Perryville.

• 6 months later...

As semper Fi said if you are ging to umpire LL registering is a good thing and it's not that expensive.

My question to you however, would be?

Why going back to LL?

You said a couple year stint in upper-girls fastpitch softball. Did something happen? Why not continue?

Was this upper-girls fastpitch softball HS level, select travel? Also, did you get paid and by paid I mean market rates?

I have done my time in LL and my feeling is this.

it's up to the next group of parents / adults to "pick up the slac"

Also, Gas to and from the games / Clinics / Equipment / Uniforms and accessories are not cheap and LL for the most part is volunteer and if you do get paid at least from my experiences the pay is not a market rate pay.

All in all if you officiated upper-girls fast-pitch softball I do not undertand why you want to umpire LL where for the most part the baseball/softball is not very good.

I would get HS certified ( if you are not already) and continue to officiate upper ball. If you want to donate a game or 2 that's fine but IMO not to the extent that Semper said in his response 10 hours or 5 games.

For me 5 games translates into $300.00 (The market rate where I officiate for a seven inning game is $60.00)

Bottom Line: you do what you want and if LL is where you want to go then by all means go for it.

Pete Booth

• 1 month later...

I have done my time in LL and my feeling is this.

it's up to the next group of parents / adults to "pick up the slac"

I wish this would happen where im at...but sadly our aging group is starting to get worn out..... As for doing LL, i have fun with it personally, it is however nice to escape to some older levels occasionally