#1 Chance

Chance
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 16-December 09
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

I will not revive other posts about indicators and when or when not carry them. :crazy:. My simple question is this: I am wondering how you guys notch your indicators, i realize weather you notch it at the zero or every number is personal preference. But if someone could help out a rookie with a simple picture it would answer my question.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 mazzamouth

mazzamouth
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 01-July 08

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

I will not revive other posts about indicators and when or when not carry them. :crazy:. My simple question is this: I am wondering how you guys notch your indicators, i realize weather you notch it at the zero or every number is personal preference. But if someone could help out a rookie with a simple picture it would answer my question.

most people notch them on the zero so you can know when it is back...

I have never notched mine.. i just take a quick look after some one hits or is put out.

#3 BrianC14

BrianC14
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  • Joined 11-August 08

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

I notch it at zero only; the reason for that is (aside from personal preference) is that if a new batter is coming up, I don't have to bother with a look at it, I can just click until my notch is there and I'm good to go.

BTW: I never look down at my indicator; if I need to check the count or outs, I'll bring my hand up to my mask to adjust the mask, and I can get a quick glance without taking my eyes off the field for more than a moment; that way my head is still up at field level and I can see any movement that might be taking place out there.
"I would change policy, bring back natural grass and nickel beer. Baseball is the belly-button of our society. Straighten out baseball, and you straighten out the rest of the world."
- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

#4 jjb

jjb
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

It takes about 15 seconds to notch it at zero with a Dremel. I won't have to look at it more than 2-3 times a game.

#5 BrianC14

BrianC14
  • Inactive
  • 2,085 posts
  • Joined 11-August 08

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

It takes about 15 seconds to notch it at zero with a Dremel. I won't have to look at it more than 2-3 times a game.

Heh - it takes about 15 minutes for me to dig out the Dremel and set it up with the right grinding wheel.

It took about 15 seconds after grabbing a plain ol' flat file off the bench.

Now, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a Dremel or other suitable power tool, and you happen to be married, then this is your reason to go out and buy a new power tool. You can never have too many power tools.
:crazy:
"I would change policy, bring back natural grass and nickel beer. Baseball is the belly-button of our society. Straighten out baseball, and you straighten out the rest of the world."
- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

#6 BT_Blue

BT_Blue
  • Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09
  • LocationSalmon Creek, WA
  • Your Association Name :NCUA, EBUA, EFOA, PBUA

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:54 AM

Did all mine with a knife of one sort or another... however, using a power tool on my new honigs indicator (when ever it gets here) does sound like a lot of fun.

#7 slo8140

slo8140
  • Premium Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09
  • LocationTyler, TX

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

Anybody got pics of notched indicators...I have never done it, but I would love to see the finished product. might have to give it a shot.

#8 BrianC14

BrianC14
  • Inactive
  • 2,085 posts
  • Joined 11-August 08

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

Anybody got pics of notched indicators...I have never done it, but I would love to see the finished product. might have to give it a shot.

One notch on each wheel at "0".
:)

Attached Files

- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

#9 Chance

Chance
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 16-December 09
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:12 AM

I used a dremel tool and notched the zeros.

Attached Files

#10 slo8140

slo8140
  • Premium Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09
  • LocationTyler, TX

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the pick. It looks like you use the same indicator I do. Gerry Davis Metal with 3/2/2 wheels.

I will give it a shot as well. Just have to find my dremmel tool.

#11 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

Heh - it takes about 15 minutes for me to dig out the Dremel and set it up with the right grinding wheel.

It took about 15 seconds after grabbing a plain ol' flat file off the bench.

Now, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a Dremel or other suitable power tool, and you happen to be married, then this is your reason to go out and buy a new power tool. You can never have too many power tools.
:)

I can hear it now:

"But, Honey, I need this Dremel to notch my indicators!"

"Why can't you just buy one of those super-expensive All-Star indicators from Lester's Upstate Sports that's already notched?"

Posted Image
http://www.lestersup...eels-p-107.html

#12 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

This thing's not for everybody, but it's the greatest as far as I'm concerned. It's so heavy that it sinks to the bottom of your pocket or pouch and stays put. And the notches have a pattern, and once you familiarize yourself with it, you never need to look at it to reset it.

It was the tool I used to become indicator independent.

P.S.: It has the all-important 3 BALL/2 STRIKE/2 OUT configuration.

#13 BrianC14

BrianC14
  • Inactive
  • 2,085 posts
  • Joined 11-August 08

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

This thing's not for everybody, but it's the greatest as far as I'm concerned. It's so heavy that it sinks to the bottom of your pocket or pouch and stays put. And the notches have a pattern, and once you familiarize yourself with it, you never need to look at it to reset it.

It was the tool I used to become indicator independent.

P.S.: It has the all-important 3 BALL/2 STRIKE/2 OUT configuration.

Feh. Those are "only" $31 on Ebay.... and they even feature a "score" wheel !:)
- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

#14 semper_fi_72

semper_fi_72
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
  • LocationAurora, Utah
  • Your Association Name :USSSA, Babe Ruth, CalRipkin, Little League, High School, UHSFOA, UHSAA, CUA

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Feh. Those are "only" $31 on Ebay.... and they even feature a "score" wheel !:HD:

I sent the seller on ebay a message and they have never responded :)

#15 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

ONLY $14.00 at Lester's. And they take PayPal!

#16 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

I've got one of those steel ones, and the glare off it during day games is, well, exciting. Catch an eyeful o' sun, you're calling everything strikes.

All my plastic indicators have a longer throw back to zero, than any advancing to any other number. It's like a click and a half. I can easily feel them zeroizing

#17 Kevin Finnerty

Kevin Finnerty
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

I've got one of those steel ones, and the glare off it during day games is, well, exciting. Catch an eyeful o' sun, you're calling everything strikes.

All my plastic indicators have a longer throw back to zero, than any advancing to any other number. It's like a click and a half. I can easily feel them zeroizing

:rollinglaugh::D

Having it hurt your eyes is yet another reason not to look at your indicator during a ballgame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users