mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

I worked a 9/10 allstar game last night to help a buddy out of a jam. Not much happened, 18-1 thumping, but two interesting things did. Manager's son hits the ball deep and as he is round second he missed with his left foot. As he went around he kind of leg whipped second with his right foot. He stopped at that point and returned to second. He looks back and asked if he had gotten second. I told not the first time but nice effort on the leg whip. The other play was also at second. Kid on the losing team steals second and I call him safe. He gets up and the SS walks a couple of steps toward the mound. The runner gets up and starts walking off the bag, I guess thinking he was out. The base coaches start yelling to get back but he is now a good ten feet from the bag. So he takes off for third, the SS turns to me like he thought he was out. Then he finally throws to third and didn't get him. It was just comical. The manager came out and asked if the fielder still had the tag on him when he walked off the bag. I said no and that was that. The only other things that happened was a groundout to F4 that the F3 pulled off the bag and stayed off for a bit but the BR figured he was out so he stopped. Finally the F3 stepped back on the bag and I called the out. All the coach had to say was to tell the runner if he had run it out he would had been safe. Finally I had a 7.13 violation where I had to bring a runner back in the sixth. I was talking to the winning coach around the fourth and he said a couple of nights prior they were up 22-0 and won 23-22. You just have to love 9/10s.
Posted Image

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#2 Stan W.

Stan W.

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,872 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

something similar happended to me last year......buddy called and asked me to do him a favor.....conveniently left out "level of play"...........and get this......"solo"........

oh my....what a night.........

got behind the catcher.....pointed to the pitcher and barked play!....scared the little catcher so bad I thought he peed his pants....

#3 yawetag

yawetag
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Your Association Name :GSLAU

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:18 AM

he said a couple of nights prior they were up 22-0 and won 23-22.

Glad I wasn't the umpire for that one.
Andrew Senger
MSHSAA Certified Baseball Umpire
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

#4 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 10,152 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and Ump Nation

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

Why is it that when guys work those lower levels it is always because they were doing someone a favor.

I just finished working a t-ball tournament where I worked 16 games at $40 a game. Most games lasted less than 1 hour.

I work anything g from tball to college. It's all good!

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#5 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Because when I work a 9/10 I am doing it free.
Posted Image

#6 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Dream Crusher

• Premium Members
  • 10,152 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and Ump Nation

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

I respect your choice for doing that.
I choose to get paid because o am going through hard times right now and can really use the funds. The day may come that I will give back in some way to help Out.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire

Roy Hobbs World Series
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#7 Stan W.

Stan W.

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,872 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

DITTO......

Plus, My "friends"..........know I choose to do paying games.......and I choose to only do games played by players who shave........so anything below those is definately a favor......

But to be clear.........favors work both ways..........and these friends always remember me.......and make it up to me down the road.......

#8 spiritump

spiritump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

9/10 allstars--no such thing --9/10 can't even tie their shoes--the only allstars there are the coaches(in thier own minds)

#9 Rich Ives

Rich Ives
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts
  • Joined 09-May 10

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

9/10 allstars--no such thing --9/10 can't even tie their shoes--the only allstars there are the coaches(in thier own minds)

It's all relative.

I coach. I have to consider the situation from both sides - offense and defense.

#10 carolinablue

carolinablue
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

It's all relative.

Yeah, most of the time the players selected are all relatives of coaches and board members. Just kidding.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't-you're right. ~Henry Ford

#11 spiritump

spiritump
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

It's all relative.

Yeah, most of the time the players selected are all relatives of coaches and board members. Just kidding.

maybe a joke but often very true

#12 wek29

wek29
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 04-May 10

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

Why is it that when guys work those lower levels it is always because they were doing someone a favor.

I just finished working a t-ball tournament where I worked 16 games at $40 a game. Most games lasted less than 1 hour.

I work anything g from tball to college. It's all good!

I'd have a tough time turning down $40 even for T-ball...heck, that has to be the easiest $40 a person could earn even if you are bored half to death! Our organization needs to up our pay!!!:crybaby2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users