Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,131 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

I'll second that ........Kyle, ....do you remember the game??

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

#22 GerryB

GerryB
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 15-May 11
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

My question too...what game? Thanks.
Worked this weekend with a guy who has a Riddell. Very nice, old but nice. Thinks that due to the lawsuit there's a warehouse somewhere full of unsold new ones....

#23 csabo17

csabo17
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • LocationHazard,Ky
  • Your Association Name :KHSAA, KIAC, Sandlot America

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

Bringing back an old thread, im thinking of this cp. anyone have an experiences with it over the last year?
I want a tough soft shell. I have a plated all star thats just to small in the neck area. I also have the cheap champ pro which I love, but I took a shot in a varsity game tonight thats making me re consider it. I will be calling 18u this summer and naia next season. I will not chance that with the champ pro.

#24 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

I know a guy who has one. It's big, it's lumpy, and restrictive ( and he looks the of bastard son of the Staypuff Marshmellow man. ). Plus, it doesn't protect as well as pro gear will.

Get pro gear, and you'll never regret it. Trust me on this, csabo.

#25 csabo17

csabo17
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • LocationHazard,Ky

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

West vest?

#26 csabo17

csabo17
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • LocationHazard,Ky

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

Scares me because of the horrible experience with the tightness of the neck on the old allstar i had. It cut the SH*# out of my neck.
My buddy is trying to get me to go with the zero gravity from honigs.

I was also afraid of the puffyness. Im a small guy.

#27 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 9,131 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

Scares me because of the horrible experience with the tightness of the neck on the old allstar i had. It cut the SH*# out of my neck.
My buddy is trying to get me to go with the zero gravity from honigs.

I was also afraid of the puffyness. Im a small guy.

Old All-Star? Plated All-Star?
Which CP are referring to? Exactly? A link or picture is best. THEN,...maybe myself or other guys can assist you better.

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#28 Mike Prince

Mike Prince

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 04-November 09
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

I'd wear a Champion hardshell before any softshell. You can get one for well under 50 bucks if cash is tight, or you can get into the mid-$100 range and look at hardshell offerings from Wilson or Douglas (or the newest All-Star if that's not the one you don't like). Kyle gives great advice, pro gear all the way.

#29 csabo17

csabo17
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • LocationHazard,Ky

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Sorry, i had just posted a thread about the one I have and was talking like everyone knew. http://umpire-empire...hest-protector/

Cpu21 its plated. http://www.buy.com/p...200048832.html#

I just dont like the tightness on the neck and it scares me away from plated cps.

#30 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

You can't go wrong with the Wilson Platinum, Gold, the Douglas or the All-Star System 7. I have the All-Star and love it. I took a fouled off pitch to the chest, right over the sternum and didn't feel it at all. The collarbone protection is world class.

It is a bit tight in the neck but I have a large neck and it does not cut into my neck nor does it constrict me.

Here's what I wear:

http://www.ump-attir...Product_Count=0
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#31 T-Rav

T-Rav
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Joined 10-May 10
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Your Association Name :FHSAA BBUA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

I own a zero gravity from honigs, a gold, and the new 15 in allstar cpu4000. If the gold fits you then go with it but the all star provides great coverage and protection and it is my #1 rig. The zero gravity is much like the K1 but after wearing hardshell protectors I will never wear the zero gravity on anything higher than 12U, while others swear on it and wear it at the college level.

#32 Mike Prince

Mike Prince

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 04-November 09
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

I own a zero gravity from honigs, a gold, and the new 15 in allstar cpu4000. If the gold fits you then go with it but the all star provides great coverage and protection and it is my #1 rig. The zero gravity is much like the K1 but after wearing hardshell protectors I will never wear the zero gravity on anything higher than 12U, while others swear on it and wear it at the college level.

I used to have the same view when I first got my Douglas - wear my Diamond iX3 for lower level games and the Douglas for the big boys where the real heat is. Then I took an uncaught pitch to the chest/shoulder in a 10U tournament and it hurt. It took that for me to realize that not only do I get hit a lot more in lower level ball, it can still sting and do serious damage. I sold the DIamond the next week to a softball umpire and have worn nothing but the Douglas ever since.

#33 slo8140

slo8140
  • Premium Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09
  • LocationTyler, TX

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

I agree. I have a new Douglas and it has become my #1 with my new All System 7 my #1A. I like the variety. The Douglas is more comfortable, but I like the ability to was the pads on the All-Star. Still trying to decide what to wear tomorrow night. I know one thing, I will be busting out my new Douglas shins for the first time.

#34 SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Joined 18-June 08
  • LocationLakeside, CA
  • Your Association Name :S.D. Elite Umpires 2009 to present ---San Diego Blues 2006 --- San Diego County Baseball Umpires Association 1986 - 2006

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

Oh, let me now give my review of the CPU30, since someone dug up this thread: Good for PONY league or below. Not for varsity or above or adult ball.

If anyone wants to buy mine, I'll sell it pretty cheap, since I'm using a Douglas now. I didn't find the All-Star bulky at all, nor did I feel like the Michelin Man in it. fit nicely and all, just hurts when balls hit certain places at certain speeds. I was like, "WTF?"

#35 kylejt

kylejt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined 30-January 09

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

I watched a guy take a 90+mph fouled ball square to his chest yesterday. He didn't flinch. After the game, I asked him what he was wearing. "A Douglas" he said with a smile.

Wear pro gear, fellas.

#36 csabo17

csabo17
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • LocationHazard,Ky

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Oh, let me now give my review of the CPU30, since someone dug up this thread: Good for PONY league or below. Not for varsity or above or adult ball.

If anyone wants to buy mine, I'll sell it pretty cheap, since I'm using a Douglas now. I didn't find the All-Star bulky at all, nor did I feel like the Michelin Man in it. fit nicely and all, just hurts when balls hit certain places at certain speeds. I was like, "WTF?"

PM sent

#37 csabo17

csabo17
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • LocationHazard,Ky

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

Just to give steve a little credit. I bought this from him with no problems. In case he has future transactions, i dont think you would have any problems from him. He even helped keep it covert from the wife!

Thanks Steve. I love it.

#38 SanDiegoSteve

SanDiegoSteve
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Joined 18-June 08
  • LocationLakeside, CA
  • Your Association Name :S.D. Elite Umpires 2009 to present ---San Diego Blues 2006 --- San Diego County Baseball Umpires Association 1986 - 2006

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

You're welcome Chris.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users