Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,966 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

Around here adult league (NABA) has a really bad reputation for umpires having to put up with a lot of crap. I've had a really good season thus far (I'm sure I'm jinxing myself for this Sunday's DH). In the past we've had bench clearing melees, batters & umpires being intentionally hit, chest bumping arguements, alcohol induced stupidity, and more. I don't know what has changed. This season has gone very well. I've had a few bangers where a coach argues, but goes on his own way and of course the obligatory mouthing on a called strike three. But the overall spirit of the game has changed ... for the better.

Has anybody else experienced similar?

#2 HokieUmp

HokieUmp
  • Moderators
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 08-February 08
  • LocationJapan
  • Your Association Name :A "Ronin"

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

Around here adult league (NABA) has a really bad reputation for umpires having to put up with a lot of crap. I've had a really good season thus far (I'm sure I'm jinxing myself for this Sunday's DH). In the past we've had bench clearing melees, batters & umpires being intentionally hit, chest bumping arguements, alcohol induced stupidity, and more. I don't know what has changed. This season has gone very well. I've had a few bangers where a coach argues, but goes on his own way and of course the obligatory mouthing on a called strike three. But the overall spirit of the game has changed ... for the better.

Has anybody else experienced similar?

I've noticed the same thing (we're in the same association, for those who don't know). I've only done two games so far - got two more two Sundays from today - but there was maybe one time anything escalated. A play at first had some louder b---hing than usual, and my partner shut it down quickly and forcefully.

In the nightcap, I heard some noise from one team, since they were "screwed" on three close plays at 1B. I wasn't wrong, but they were the ones that lost the calls. But other than grumbling in the dugout, it was fine.

I was a little concerned about the games, myself, at the start of the season. Not because I don't like adult games - I did plenty in Australia before moving to Hampton Roads - but a) because US adult games tend to be more about the 'macho,' and less about the ball, :rolleyes: because US adult games are filled with guys who think they were that close to The Show, so they couldn't possibly suck at these games (so it must be blue's fault), and c) because of the horror stories I've heard from others about it.

But my experience doesn't reflect those horror stories.

Yet.

#3 LMSANS

LMSANS

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,718 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • LocationBrick, NJ
  • Your Association Name :Shore Umpires Association

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

I haven't started the adult leagues yet, but will this Sunday. However, my experience over the last couple of years has been positive. Every time I read the comments on the forums, I can't relate. I've had to eject 1 coach in 3 years, and it is possible I jumped the gun on that one.

I have heard the occassional zone squawking from the dugout but nothing direct or beligerent.

Of course, I am now doomed. :rolleyes:

Larry
Shore Umpires; NJ

ECIUA

#4 Umpire in Chief

Umpire in Chief

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,966 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08
  • LocationMoyock, NC
  • Your Association Name :EVOA, CIAA

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

Our Friend Ump81 had an interesting game the weekend before last. I'll try to get him to tell the story here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users