UmpNation Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 8,086 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

I noticed no post on here since 2009.

Does anyone play slow pitch except the old farts trying to hit home runs on every pitch?

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 38

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          22

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

#2 1dumbquestion

1dumbquestion
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Joined 02-April 09

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

Does anyone play slow pitch except the old farts trying to hit home runs on every pitch?

i don't think any self respecting umpire would call slow-pitch (or admit to it), and I don't think an umpire that calls slow-pitch would find his way onto a board made for improving as an official. Just an observation, while playing slow-pitch in the off season. 1

#3 TNCoach

TNCoach
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 16-April 10
  • LocationLimestone, TN
  • Your Association Name :Smokey Mountain Umpire Assoc.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

I used to play... How bad does that sound especially coming from a 28 year old.

12 scheduled games

8 cancelled

4 games umpired

1 T-ball

1 9-10 baseball

1 11-12 baseball

1 13-15 baseball

#4 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

UmpNation Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 8,086 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

6 years ago when I spent a year in Kuwait with the Navy I played and also Umpired games there.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#5 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

We have a big slow pitch league here. Four divisions of mens, one of women, two of co-ed, and church league. I don't umpire it, but I do referee it. I work for the county parttime managing the biggest complex where they play, as well as soccer,field hockey, lax and our adult wooden bat league. Tonight I went out to do some IT repairs and the other manager and I were talking. All of a sudden we hear," All of you @$*$& get back in the dugouts!" A player had rolled the catcher and got tossed, the dugouts dumped. The rules are if anyone gets tossed from a bench clearing the game is over. The umpire shut it down pronto, abeit a little loudly, but he saved the game.
We went down to make sure order was restored and the ejected knucklehead left.
Posted Image

#6 HokieUmp

HokieUmp
  • Moderators
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 08-February 08
  • LocationJapan
  • Your Association Name :A "Ronin"

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

i don't think any self respecting umpire would call slow-pitch (or admit to it), and I don't think an umpire that calls slow-pitch would find his way onto a board made for improving as an official. Just an observation, while playing slow-pitch in the off season. 1

Just noticed this. I might be calling some SP this year, and I'm reasonably self-respecting. It's easy enough money, and when there's no other stick-and-ball for me to call out here, why the hell not? My biggest thing right now in deciding is, do I want to spend money on uniform pieces I wouldn't get caught dead in otherwise - navy pants, and the baby blue polo (which isn't the problem) with "ASA" stitched on it (THAT'S the problem).

But I don't get the original question of the thread - what do you mean, does anyone play SP? Do you mean, anyone in the US in general, or anyone here on this board? I can't imagine SP just disappearing.

#7 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

Slow pitch is pretty popular here. I actually don't know of any mens baseball leagues in the area, but I know of three slow pitch organizations off the top of my head.

I played SP the last two years in a church league. Two leagues (one competitive, one more for fun - 8 teams per league)... The umps don't have to take too much crap because, well, it is a church league... They made $80 in a day. Each team paid $20 at the plate meeting and they did doubleheaders, monday and tuesday evenings.

My older brother played SP from the time he was 20 to just after 23... The umps there would get some crap from the overzealous young guns who still needed a babysitter manager, but didn't get one (the manager would just be the player who got the team together and went to the plate meeting). The main solution used by the league was giving total power to the ump. As in, I've seen an ump threaten to kick a team out of the league if they didn't stop swearing and shut their yap. My brother actually left that team (he was the manager) because his team mates and opponents wouldn't just grow up. Umps made the same per game, but did double headers Monday - Thursday. He is 25 now and still plays in different leagues when a friend asks him to fill in.

I also know of an indoor dome league. Can't speak for the umps though because I have never participated or attended.

I would have no problem umping or playing in SP games as long as the players and league understood that it is only slow pitch and that taking it too seriously is just stupid.

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: Winter Travel League, IN MICHIGAN!! :D (It's domed, but still cold)
2014 Games: 32
Career Games: 229
Career Championship Games: 8 (4 League; 4 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 6 (4 coach; 2 player)

#8 mstaylor

mstaylor

Crew Chief

• Inactive
  • 10,115 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • LocationSalisbury,MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

I would have no problem umping or playing in SP games as long as the players and league understood that it is only slow pitch and that taking it too seriously is just stupid.

I don't know that is a possible goal. I played in one years ago and it was awful. I have never seen such pissing and moaning from grown men.
Posted Image

#9 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

First of all, there is competitive and even championship slow pitch. ASA has nationals every year where the level of play is pretty good to outstanding. What we usually end up seeing though is the rec/city league atrocities full of AAs (almost adults). I did one year of that and that was more than enough for me. Amazingly I only ejected one player but umpiring in those leagues required you to increase the amount you were willing to tolerate or you'd end up ejecting everyone. I just quit instead.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#10 RichMSN

RichMSN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

First of all, there is competitive and even championship slow pitch. ASA has nationals every year where the level of play is pretty good to outstanding. What we usually end up seeing though is the rec/city league atrocities full of AAs (almost adults). I did one year of that and that was more than enough for me. Amazingly I only ejected one player but umpiring in those leagues required you to increase the amount you were willing to tolerate or you'd end up ejecting everyone. I just quit instead.

I did some of this back in the early 90s. You'd be amazed how many so-called adults would argue plays at first base where they were out by almost an entire step.

#11 Welpe

Welpe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Your Association Name :GHOA, TASO

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

You've got that right. I think arguing in those leagues is just a matter of course.
"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck

--------------
Luke 10:27

#12 Jocko

Jocko

Resident Smart A$$

• Members
  • 5,513 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • LocationSomewhere between foul lines and fences
  • Your Association Name :GSUA, ASO

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

There's an Industrial League here in Birmingham. Very competitive. my company fields a good team that goes to the National Tournament most every year. No, I don't play. Anyway, PDs, FDs, Companies, Municipalities, etc. all have teams in this league.
2014 Game Count: 38
2014 Rainouts: 15
2014 DL misses : 13

#13 th3

th3
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Joined 10-June 09
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

i started out doing slow pitch and dont do it anymore simply because it I enjoy baseball a lot more and slow pitch pays less. I had come to accept the fact that players piss and moan all game, and then when i started doing youth baseball and high school i learned how it should be..i would certainly ump slow pitch if there was nothing else, but i think id have a few ejections early

#14 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

And THIS is why it's hard to find good slow pitch umps... These players are such a disgrace, I would have called the cops for some of the remarks made in this video... Jump to like 2:25 if you don't want to waste two and a half minutes more of your life.

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: Winter Travel League, IN MICHIGAN!! :D (It's domed, but still cold)
2014 Games: 32
Career Games: 229
Career Championship Games: 8 (4 League; 4 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 6 (4 coach; 2 player)

#15 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

UmpNation Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 8,086 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Just noticed this. I might be calling some SP this year,

I'm Sorry!

Just Kidding I worked a lot of SP at the Kuwait Naval Base. It was fun!

2014  Game Count:

Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire

#16 HokieUmp

HokieUmp
  • Moderators
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 08-February 08
  • LocationJapan
  • Your Association Name :A "Ronin"

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

Just noticed this. I might be calling some SP this year,

I'm Sorry!

Just Kidding I worked a lot of SP at the Kuwait Naval Base. It was fun!

As it turned out, I never called a game.  They had plenty of people that WANTED to do it, and since I didn't, I backed away slowly.  I told our POC if he ever ran short, to call me, but he didn't.  Thank God for that.

#17 amarillo

amarillo
  • Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 01-March 10
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

I am ashamed to admit that I chewed a sp umpires a$$ once on a fair foul call down the right field line when the guy in A came in and pivoted and the plate guy made the call come to find out that's how they taught em

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users